Seagate BlackArmor WS 110 (2TB) external hard drive
Seagate's BlackArmor WS 110 external hard drive offers hardware-based encryption
- Comprehensive BlackArmor Backup software, eSATA connection, hardware encryption
- Loud during operation, bundled software is Windows-only
If you don't want a central backup server or NAS device, the BlackArmor WS 110 external hard drive will give you tight reins over when, where and how you back up files from a computer.
Price$ 399.00 (AUD)
Seagate calls its BlackArmor WS 110 a direct-attached storage (DAS) device, but in most respects it's a fairly standard external hard drive. Aimed at businesses looking to back up individual computers, the BlackArmor WS 110 provides AES 256-bit hardware encryption, extremely fast transfer speeds and comprehensive backup software.
The case looks similar to the consumer-targeted FreeAgent Pro external hard drives. The drive can be placed horizontally or vertically without a stand, though one is provided just in case. Unfortunately, the hard drive is quite loud — particularly when spinning up — and even caused some minimal vibrations on the desk during intensive transfer tasks.
The BlackArmor WS 110 packs in a single 3.5in 2TB hard drive with a formatted capacity of 1810GB. At the BlackArmor's current RRP, you are paying 22c per formatted gigabyte, which is what we'd expect for an external drive this size.
On the back, the BlackArmor WS 110 external hard drive provides power, mini-USB 2.0 and external SATA (eSATA) ports.
Seagate's BlackArmor Backup software provides many options that can be tailored to suit different users.
The drive is bundled with the same BlackArmor Backup software as Seagate's NAS devices. Developed by Acronis, the Windows-only BlackArmor Backup suite is refreshingly comprehensive. Though the software encourages you to initiate a backup for your entire computer, it also provides a number of tailored backup options as well as hard drive cloning and management tools. These include a "Try and Decide" option that lets you manage system restore points when installing software that may corrupt the system.
Like Western Digitial's My Book Elite, the software can back up files based on groups of file extensions; all photos or music for example. Unlike the overly simple WD SmartWare software, however, you'll be able to heavily customise what file types are backed up and to which group they belong. Our only hiccup was when the software failed to recognise the BlackArmor WS 110 while it was connected over eSATA; a hot patch from Seagate's Web site quickly fixed this, however.
A second piece of software bundled with the BlackArmor WS 110 external hard drive is Seagate's SafetyDrill+, which allows you to create a bootable disk in case of a system crash.
We tested the Seagate BlackArmor WS 110's file transfer speeds over both USB 2.0 and eSATA. Our storage file transfer benchmarks are conducted using a 300GB Western Digital Velociraptor hard drive. Our test files include a 3GB batch of 1MB files as well as a 20GB folder of individual 3-4GB files.
|Small File (3GB) Transfer Test Results|
|Seagate BlackArmor WS 110||$399||2TB||USB 2.0||25.8||14.8||9.5|
|Seagate BlackArmor WS 110||$399||2TB||eSATA||55.6||34.9||16.7|
|Western Digital My Book Elite||$399.99||2TB||USB 2.0||24.6||15.2||10.2|
|LaCie Starck Desktop Hard Drive||$199||1TB||USB 2.0||28.8||17.1||10.5|
|Promise SmartStor DS4600||$550||3TB||USB 2.0||25||25||10.2|
|Promise SmartStor DS4600||$550||3TB||eSATA||68.2||50.8||34.5|
|Western Digital My Book Studio Edition II||$999||4TB||USB 2.0||23.4||15||10.7|
|Western Digital My Book Studio Edition II||$999||4TB||eSATA||54.5||51.7||41|
|Large File (20GB) Transfer Test Results|
|Seagate BlackArmor WS 110||$399||2TB||USB 2.0||28.1||25.5||12.1|
|Seagate BlackArmor WS 110||$399||2TB||eSATA||90.2||88.2||35.9|
|Western Digital My Book Elite||$399.99||2TB||USB 2.0||27.7||24.1||11.3|
|LaCie Starck Desktop Hard Drive||$199||1TB||USB 2.0||30.3||25.7||12.7|
|Promise SmartStor DS4600||$550||3TB||USB 2.0||27.9||26.4||11.7|
|Promise SmartStor DS4600||$550||3TB||eSATA||78.2||78.2||35.1|
|Maxtor [[Artnid:296805|OneTouch 4 Plus|Review: Maxtor OneTouch 4 Plus externsal hard drive||$349||750GB||USB 2.0||28.58||25.47||N/A|
|Western Digital My Book Studio Edition II||$999||4TB||USB 2.0||26.7||25.1||12.7|
|Western Digital My Book Studio Edition II||$999||4TB||eSATA||89.4||77.3||41.9|
Seagate's BlackArmor WS 110 external hard drive fails to surpass the performance of LaCie's Starck Desktop Hard Drive over a USB 2.0 connection, though unsurprisingly blasts ahead when connected over eSATA. Given that other eSATA hard drives we've tested have been configured in a RAID 0 array, it is difficult to compare them to a single drive like the BlackArmor WS 110. There's no doubt this external hard drive is fast, but we aren't entirely sure these speeds are enough to compete with upcoming USB 3.0-equipped external hard drives.
The BlackArmor WS 110's eSATA connection, comprehensive software and reasonable price make it a good choice for securely backing up a single computer.
Stay up to date with the latest news, reviews and features. Sign up to PC World’s newsletters
Follow PC World Australia on Twitter: @PCWorldAu
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Google Daydream VR headset
Lexar® Portable SSD
Acer Swift 7
Huawei Mate 9
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Surface Pro 4
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- FBI faces lawsuit because it's stayed mum on iPhone 5c hack
- Mozilla Firefox update fixes several vulnerabilities
- Australians targeted by Windows 10 phishing attacks
- How a burglar can make a copy of your door key, from a Facebook picture
- Vulnerability found in Samsung smartphone keyboard
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCServiceNOW DeveloperNSW
- FTMid-Level Software Engineer x 2 - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)VIC
- CCSenior .NET DeveloperNSW
- FTDeveloper - Java/J2EEQLD
- FTFull Stack DeveloperQLD
- CCSQL Database Administrator (DBA)NSW
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- CCTransport Planner - GIS SpecialistNSW
- CCTest Planner - Infrastructure/Data CentreACT
- TPSoftware EngineerWA
- TPAgile CoachNSW
- TPe-Learning Developer (Captivate 8)VIC
- CCDevOps/Senior Sys Admin - eCommerce - Contract - Sydney Northern BeachesNSW
- FTTechnical Business AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Software Engineer x 2 - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)NSW
- FTLinux Systems EngineerQLD
- TPDeployment Specialist (DevOps)QLD
- FT.Net DeveloperNSW
- TPCrystal Reports DeveloperSA
- FTFinancial ERP Customer SME / Solution Consultant / System AccountantNSW
- FTDeveloper/ ProgrammerSA
- FTLevel 2 Technical Support OfficerQLD
- TPDigital Strategist - Newcastle BasedNSW
- TPDigital Process Business Analyst - Digital Transformation**NSW
- FTEnterprise Account ManagerNSW