Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 500GB
- Massive storage space
- Price per gigabyte a little high
While two 250GB drives may be cheaper, having 500GB in a single drive is very convenient. The 7200.9 is quiet, fast and cool.
Price$ 578.00 (AUD)
Weighing in at a cool 500GB (465GB formatted capacity), Seagate's ninth generation Barracuda drive is ideal for those of us with huge storage needs who don't have the room in our PC case for multiple disk drives.
The Barracuda has a 3Gbps SATA interface and features native command queuing (NCQ) which organises data requests so the drive can perform optimally. The 3Gbps speed is the transfer speed of data between the motherboard chipset and the hard disk controller, not the actual speed of data flowing through the heads of the hard drive. The physical nature of hard disks makes the retrieval and storage of data a bottleneck in all computer systems today, but this new drive is actually very fast.
We manually copied 31GB of data from one folder on the drive to another folder to test the overall transfer rate of the drive. We achieved a transfer rate of 23.8MBps, which equates to over 1.4GB of data per minute. The 7200rpm spin speed and 16MB buffer contributed to this high performance.
This drive holds up to 125GB per disk platter, which means there are four disk platters and eight heads inside. The drive was quiet too, producing barely audible noises during seek, read and write operations. It was also fairly cool, running at no more that 42 degrees throughout our tests. This performance and its huge capacity make it an ideal drive for a media centre-style PC. Likewise, those wanting to keep the noise down will appreciate this quiet achiever.
Seagate provides a five-year warranty, but its price tag gives a high cost per formatted gigabyte .
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Toshiba to cut 6800 jobs, focus on storage and energy
- Consumer SSDs and hard drive prices are nearing parity
- Lexar launches new USB JumpDrives
- Seagate breaks through the 1TB-per-platter barrier for laptop drives
- U2 tours with all-flash array to rock latest video effects
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTDigital Marketing Specialist | Media BuyerNSW
- CCApplication Support AnalystNSW
- CCRisk AnalystVIC
- FTProject Manager / Scrum MasterNSW
- CCJava Development EngineerNSW
- FTTeam Lead ITIL- Permanent OpportunityVIC
- CCPython Web Developer - DevOPS EnvironmentVIC
- CCTeradata DeveloperNSW
- CCInfrastructure Project ManagerNSW
- CCOracle Developer - 3 month contractSA
- CCSystem AdminVIC
- FTProject Support OfficerWA
- CCProject Manager- Wealth and AdviceNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/Oracle/UNIX) 160203/AP/381Asia
- FTAnalyst: Business Intelligence & AnalyticsVIC
- FTBusiness Analyst - Superannuation FundVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer(Crystal Report/Oracle)160127/AP/vhsAsia
- CCiOS Developer - New AppNSW
- PTService Desk OperatorSA
- CCProject SchedulerVIC
- CCImmediate iOS Developer Required - Contract - SydneyNSW
- CCProject Manager, Network, FinanceNSW
- FTProject Manager | SharePoint, Office 365 SkillsVIC
- CCSenior Business Analyst - NPPVIC
- CCSenior Visual DesignerNSW