Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS hard drive
The Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS desktop hard drive offers 1TB of data storage and fast transfer speeds.
- Fast read/write speeds, good cost per gigabyte
- Nothing of note
The Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1TB hard drive is speedy and offers good value. If you need 1TB of data storage in a single drive, this is worth considering.
Price$ 189.00 (AUD)
The Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS is a 1TB internal desktop hard drive with a 32MB cache and a spin speed of 7200rpm. It has two 500GB platters and offers very fast transfer speeds.
As hard drives begin to hit 2TB capacities (the Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB (WD20EADS), for example), 1TB hard drives are starting to get cheaper. The Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS, with its formatted capacity of 931GB, is a good example of this. It costs just $189, which equates to a cost per gigabyte of 20.3 cents. This is better value than the Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1.5TB hard drive, for example, especially when its excellent speeds are considered.
To test the speed of the hard drive, we copied a folder with 19.4GB of data between it and our test PC, which uses a Western Digital VelociRaptor (WD3000GLFS) hard drive.
The Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS achieved a write speed of 78.49 megabytes per second and a read speed of 83.77MBps. When copying the data folder from one location on the drive to another, it delivered a speed of 32.75MBps.
By comparison, the previous generation of this drive, the Seagate Barracuda 7200.11, provided a read speed of 69.12MBps, a write speed of 72.02MBps and a folder-to-folder copy speed of 20.85MBps.
In fact, the high-performance Western Digital VelociRaptor (WD3000GLFS) hard drive, which is renowned for its speed, returned a read speed of 92.8MBps — only approximately 10MBps faster than the Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS. So you can see the Barracuda 7200.12 is very quick.
This means that if you're a casual or serious gamer who can't afford to splurge on the Western Digital VelociRaptor (WD3000GLFS), or one who wants a drive with more space, the Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS might fit the bill.
We found that despite its excellent speeds in our tests, the Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS hard drive ran at an average temperature of 38 degrees Celsius, even after hours of data crunching. While results will vary depending on your case and other components, you should find that it stays within a safe working temperature.
The Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS is therefore good value. It's a very fast 1TB hard drive that is a solid choice for any PC.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Smart LED Bulb LB130
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Huawei Mate 9
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Lexar® Portable SSD
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Google Daydream VR headset
Acer Swift 7
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Surface Pro 4
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- EC says LCD screen cartel is active globally
- Sharp to increase LCD panel production on higher demand
- Dick Smith report says Australians keen to switch to digital radio
- Samsung, Numonyx to develop PCM specifications
- Faster SD cards could reach devices next year
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCFullstack .Net DeveloperNSW
- FTDigital Strategist - Global Consulting FirmACT
- CCData Engineer (Java/ Data/ Big Data Developer)VIC
- FTHead of ApplicationsVIC
- CCSQL Server BI DeveloperQLD
- CCProject SpecialistVIC
- FTSenior C++ EngineerACT
- FTIT Project Coordinator - Mascot/AlexandriaNSW
- TPOrganisational Change ManagerQLD
- TPSenior Business Project ManagerNSW
- CCProject Manager - Adelaide basedVIC
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- FTSenior .Net Developer with Silverlight proficiencyVIC
- CCSharepoint Business AnalystACT
- FT.Net Azure DeveloperSA
- FTData AnalystQLD
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Sales & Marketing Modules)ACT
- CCInfrastructure Test AnalystACT
- FTSenior Database AdministratorVIC
- TPInfrastructure Project ManagerNSW
- CCDevOps/Senior Sys Admin - eCommerce - Contract - Sydney Northern BeachesNSW
- CCGIS Developer - GeocortexWA
- CCSenior Technical SpecialistNSW
- CCWindows AdministratorACT
- CCBI Technical LeadACT