Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 750GB
- Extremely fast transfer rates, largest storage size on the market
- A little expensive compared to other per-gigabyte prices.
If you want high-capacity storage that wont break the bank and perform impeccibly, this drive is your best bet.
Price$ 980.00 (AUD)
Seagate's Barracuda 7200.10 750GB drive, the largest hard drive to date, sets new standards for capacity, price, and performance. Its speed was especially notable on the PC World Test Center's write tests, where it came within a hair's breadth of matching Western Digital's swift 10,000-rpm Raptor X.
The Barracuda 7200.10 drive that our test centre evaluated has 16MB of cache and supports SATA-150 by default, out of the box. We tested it using SATA-300, which required a jumper-setting change.
In our performance tests, the Barracuda 7200.10 750GB excelled across the spectrum. Among the bevy of 7200-rpm drives we've tested, it ranked first; and overall, it was bested only by the 10,000-rpm Raptor X. On our write tests, the new Seagate drive took just 2 minutes, 16 seconds to write a 3.06GB file of folders (a scant 2 seconds slower than the Raptor X), and 1 minute, 39 seconds to write a 3.06GB .zip file (a mark 3 seconds better than the Raptor X's).
On a cost-per-gigabyte basis, your wallet won't take a huge hit, either: The SATA version of this drive will debut at $980, which works out to $1.31 per gigabyte. That's higher than the average cost of 7200-rpm drives, but it's below the usual cost per gigabyte paradigm we've seen in recent years when a new drive hits the market.
The Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 750GB combines voluminous storage and high-end performance in a single drive. If you want high-capacity storage, this drive is your best bet.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- WD's new external drive is the first self-contained, fully portable Plex media server
- How to recover data from a corrupt hard drive or SSD with no backup on Mac: How to delete corrupted files on external Mac drive
- Akitio's combines two speedy technologies in blazing external SSD
- Intel claims storage supremacy with swift 3D XPoint Optane drives, 1-petabyte 3D NAND
- Intel's new super-fast SSDs feature 3D NAND
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCOracle iLearning Business AnalystNSW
- CCBusiness System Analyst - FinanceVIC
- FTStorage ConsultantACT
- FTContent Manager - Migration projectNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/SQL) 160620/AP/623Asia
- FTProject ManagerACT
- CCWeb Developer (Drupal)SA
- CCTechnology DeveloperVIC
- CCSharepoint Developer | Air Force project | NV1 clearanceNSW
- FTTechnical/Solutions ArchitectNSW
- CCInfrastructure ArchitectACT
- CCMiddleware Developer - BaselineACT
- FTService Delivery Coordinator - ApplicationsNSW
- CCProgram CoordinatorNSW
- FTNV2 Defence Project Manager | Canberra | Major exciting White Paper projectsACT
- CCSenior Change Manager, Financial ServicesNSW
- CCDigital Business AnalystVIC
- CCHybrid Mobile App DeveloperNSW
- CCDynamics CRM DeveloperNSW
- CCService Desk ConsultantVIC
- CCApplication Support Analyst and Database AdministratorVIC
- CCProgram Controls ManagerACT
- FTSenior Software Developer (Full Stack)SA
- CCAnalyst Programmer - C# FocusNSW
- CCArchitect (AWS)NSW