SCEE Formula One Championship Edition
- Gorgeous HD graphics; easy to play for first-timers; speed, speed, speed!
- Not a knock on the game, but F1 Racing has limited appeal in the US
Fun for everyone — including you, race-game hater.
Price$ 99.95 (AUD)
With blazing speeds approaching 215 miles per hour, fragile cars, and highly demanding, technical race courses, the international F1 circuit serves as an interesting counterpoint to the far more popular macho, roughneck world of NASCAR.
Amazingly, Formula One Championship Edition captures all of these themes. Perhaps the greatest compliment that can be paid to this game is that it feels markedly different than a NASCAR racing game.
A big part of the reason that the game feels different is the hair-raising, awe-inspiring sensation of speed. The first three or four times I played, my friend Matt was hanging out with me. At one point, I flawlessly executed the final 180-degree turn at the Bahrain track and, as I entered the straightway, hit a top speed of 210 miles per hour. The feeling of speed was so intense down this straight that we both went slack-jawed, wide-eyed nuts, uttering a chorus of profanities salty enough to make a nun faint.
But this is how F1 Championship Edition rolls. Clearly, the power of the PS3 has been successfully harnessed because the game's speedy gameplay does not come with any sacrifice to graphical quality. The cars, environments, and race tracks all look close to photorealistic.
Believe it or not, there's an element of game design here that is actually more important than the photorealistic graphics and manic sensation of speed. With F1 Championship Edition, Sony's UK-based Liverpool development studio has crafted an authentic-feeling experience that won't piss off inexperienced gamers who don't know F1 from B12.
The key is a series of gameplay aids that help you race without destroying yourself. As an example, as you zip around the course, a virtual green line is painted on the screen that demonstrates the ideal "line" that you should utilise when entering corners. Another example is the auto downshifting of gears as you enter tight turns. Even better, during race week, AI mechanics make all the necessary car adjustments based on your driving performance during practice laps.
Hardcore racers will be happy to know that you can turn off all these aids and manually adjust and control every racing element to your heart's content.
This is not to say that F1 Championship Edition is easy. In my first two races, I blazed top speeds that landed me in the pole position. But racing against a field of 22 drivers is a different experience entirely than racing against the clock. In both races, I choked and wrecked out in the first three laps. Frustrating, sure, but it's refreshing to have some goals to work towards in a video game.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Lexar® Portable SSD
Huawei Mate 9
Google Daydream VR headset
Acer Swift 7
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Dell XPS 13 laptop
HP Pavilion x360 13”
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Surface Pro 4
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- You can download Nintendo's Fire Emblem Heroes for iOS and Android today
- Nintendo's Fire Emblem Heroes looks sharp, but will it survive the freemium transition?
- Nintendo's bringing Super Mario Run to Android in March, but Fire Emblem's coming first
- The Switch is a mix of Nintendo's past consoles
- Dead Rising 4 impressions: 'Tis the season to BBQ zombies with your flaming sword
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- TPHRIS Business AnalystQLD
- TPSCCM SpecialistVIC
- FTJunior Software Engineer - Positive Vetting, NV2 or NV1 requiredSA
- FTOracle Forms PL/SQL Analyst ProgrammerQLD
- CCWindows System EngineerNSW
- TPInformation Management SpecialistVIC
- FTOnline Solutions AnalystNSW
- TPe-Learning Developer (Captivate 8)VIC
- FTTelecommunications Services Manager - Voice/Data/UCQLD
- TPDeployment Specialist (DevOps)QLD
- FTSenior Java EngineerACT
- CCTest Capability LeadNSW
- TPOracle Consultant - CC&BQLD
- CCBusiness Test Lead - BRT/UATNSW
- FTBranch Practice Manager - SecurityQLD
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- CCIT Procurement OfficerNSW
- FTSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTJunior ITIL Service AnalystVIC
- TPDigital Project ManagerVIC
- TPSenior Java Developer - ContractQLD
- FTSupport Analyst / Production Support - InformaticaNSW
- FTInfrastructure Solution ArchitectSA
- FTSecurity Solutions Architect - Consultancy - Permanent - Sydney CBDNSW
- FTSenior Web DeveloperNSW