SCEA PixelJunk Eden
You'll be in paradise with PixelJunk Eden!
- Stylish visuals, addicting high-score gameplay, three-player cooperative mode
- Repetitive gameplay, later levels are extremely challenging
It can't top the cream of the current crop of downloadable PSN games like Super Stardust HD, PixelJunk Monsters, and Tekken 5 Dark Resurrection Online, but it certainly holds its weight if you're looking to kill a few hours on a lazy Sunday.
Price$ 12.95 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
Got ten bucks lying around? Own a PS3? Looking for a great game to occupy your time? Then we have just the thing for you: read on for our review of PixelJunk Eden, a fantastic game available only on the Playstation Network!
Available for a mere ten bucks on the PlayStation Network, Pixel Junk Eden is a welcome addition to the PS3's growing library of exclusive downloadable games. It's as easy to pick up and play as the original Mario, but offers enough depth and strategy for the high-score junkies to appreciate. What's most unfortunate, however, is that the game's initial charm, which so easily captivated me, dies off rather quickly.
That's too bad because Eden is a completely original and creative title that had a lot of potential. You play as a tiny elephant-spider with the ability to spin a silk line that you can use to latch onto flower petals. With your spider-like powers, you must defeat Pollen Prowler enemies who explode into pollen that pollinates nearby flower seeds; the flower seeds then grow into beanstalks which gives you access to the upper reaches of the levels where "Spectra" orbs can be reached. There are five Spectra orbs per level, or "Gardens" as they're called in the game, and you have to collect them in order to proceed.
It's an interesting concept and it was fun in the beginning, but after playing for a while, I found myself growing bored with the simplistic, repetitive gameplay. It doesn't help that each Spectra orb has to be collected one at a time either. This means you are forced to revisit each garden five times in order to get a 100% completion ranking. In addition, climbing the beanstalks of Eden is not as easy as it sounds, especially in the later levels.
Still, PixelJunk Eden is a beautiful and mesmerising title that warrants a look.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Film Victoria backs women in gaming with new fellowships
- Nintendo kicks off 2016 with new Zelda release and new 3DS
- Expensive gaming desktops and laptops thrive in slumping PC market
- The PS4 is the fastest selling console in Sony’s history
- Assassin's Creed Syndicate PC review impressions: This gorgeous, mostly smooth game is no Unity
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTDigital Marketing Specialist | Media BuyerNSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst - NPPVIC
- CCIT Service Improvement SpecialistNSW
- CCTibco DeveloperNSW
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst, Online Gaming SystemsNSW
- FTTechnical Lead (C#/.Net)NSW
- FTSenior Consultant | Project work | National Systems IntegratorNSW
- FTSenior Mobile Developer - IOSNSW
- CCAutomation QAVIC
- CCSenior Business Analyst - IT SecurityNSW
- CCTechnical Lead - .NET TechnologiesACT
- FTTeam Lead ITIL- Permanent OpportunityVIC
- FTProgram Test DirectorNSW
- CCWindows System Admin, Administrator, Technical SupportNSW
- CCInformatica ExpertNSW
- CCRecords Officer - CanberraACT
- FTProject Manager | SharePoint, Office 365 SkillsVIC
- CCOracle Business Analyst / TrainerSA
- CCJava Developer - IOSNSW
- CCSSIS/ SSRS ExpertVIC
- CCTechnical Integration Specialist - MicrosoftACT
- CCOracle Project OfficerSA
- CCTechnical Tester - AutomationVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer(Crystal Report/Oracle)160127/AP/vhsAsia