SCEA God of War: Chains of Olympus
- It retains all of the epic awesomeness of the first two God of War titles. Don't think for a second that just because it's on the PSP, it's any less amazing. The graphics are fantastic. Even though the PSP screen features less real estate, the game still shines with some incredible visuals. The controls are tight and responsive. If you were worried about the lack of a second analogue stick, don't be. The developers have come up with a system that works and works well.
- There isn't a great variety to the enemies. This also means that there aren't as many "fatality" sequences either. Everything feels just a little narrower in scope. While the game is still epic, it isn't as long nor is it as far-reaching as the previous two titles. You still have to lug boxes around to solve environmental puzzles.
Chains is a worthy addition to the franchise. While we want nothing more than to continue on with Kratos' journey towards the top of Mount Olympus and his final battle with Zeus, we were more than happy to take a short detour along the way and spend time with what we consider to be the best PSP title we've ever played. We suggest you do the same.
Price$ 59.95 (AUD)
Who says size matters: Chains of Olympus is every bit as good as its big console siblings!
Although it is an amazing piece of portable hardware, the Sony PSP has played second fiddle to the Nintendo DS Lite for a long time now. While Nintendo was moving ridiculous amounts of hardware and software, the Sony PSP was in constant catch-up mode.
But Sony's handheld has gained some serious ground in recent months. The library of titles has steadily expanded and now includes some bona fide hits. The slick new redesign was also a big boost and also worth considering is the fact that expanded functionality like Skype integration is now starting to see the light of day. There's no doubt that the PSP has a lot of momentum going right now and it's only going to increase with the release of God of War: Chains of Olympus.
One of Sony's most valued franchises, God of War is without a doubt an important cog in the PS3 machine and as you are about to see, some would argue that it is the most important weapon in Sony's arsenal. Releasing Chains of Olympus on the PSP was a brilliant strategic move on Sony's part: it's the perfect bridge between the first two titles and the new-gen God of War 3 and a potent reminder of the impact that Kratos can have on the gaming landscape.
Although it's been shrunken down to fit the small screen of the PSP, Chains of Olympus features the same epic feel of its big console siblings. It's a thrilling experience that acts as the perfect appetiser to whet our appetites for the inevitable release of God of War 3 on the PS3. But don't think for a second that Chains of Olympus is just a side dish. If Chains of Olympus were the only title in the franchise, it would still stand on its own merits. And regardless of the fact that it sits in the shadows of its big console cousins, it is still, in our eyes the best PSP game yet.
So click through to the next page and see what all the fuss is about!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Nokia Lumia 830 review: Punching above its weight
- 2 BlackBerry Passport review: A smartphone going nowhere
- 3 Sony Xperia Z3 Compact review: A flagship at 4.6-inches
- 4 Bose QuietComfort 25 review: A traveller's companion
- 5 Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Windows 8.1 tablet
Best Deals on GoodGearGuide
Latest News Articles
- What you should know about Lenovo's Motorola acquisition
- Sencha melds desktop and smartphone management with Space
- Drupal: If you weren't quick to patch, assume your site was hacked
- Smartphone share of overall mobile phone sales stalling at 70 percent
- Pirate Bay co-founder found guilty of hacking in Denmark
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTDigital Account ExecutiveNSW
- FTAccount ExecutiveNSW
- FTPartner Marketing Communications Manager - Leading Global Tech BrandNSW
- FTMarketing Communications Operations Manager - Global Tech Market leaderNSW
- FTDigital PR SpecialistNSW
- FTTechnical Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTStudio Design ManagerVIC
- FTChief Information Officer - CSIROACT
- CCWeb / Mobile Developer - Magento - HTML5, CSS - Excellent CMS SkillsNSW
- FTBusiness development manager - retargettingNSW
- FTBusiness ManagerNSW