ScanSoft PDF Converter Professional 3
- Directly Edit within PDF files, FormTyper, Interaction with Microsoft Office
- Cluttered interface, Have to register before use
A valid alternative to the popular Acrobat Reader, ScanSoft has done an admirable job and the FormTyper function may be a clincher.
Price$ 189.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
- 2.0X HD Tele-Converter, Sony Bayonet Mount 3654.99
Generally, most people who create or edit PDF files will be using Adobe's popular Acrobat application. But ScanSoft has definitely given the multitude of Acrobat users something to think about with the release of their PDF Converter Professional 3.
PDF Converter Professional 3 is very similar to Adobe Acrobat in that is utilises separate modules for dealing with PDF files. But ScanSoft has made it very easy to use as well; you can simply open, for example, a Word Document using PDF Converter Professional and it will "print" to the ScanSoft PDF driver, turning the document into a PDF file in one simple step. This convenient function means that even those who've never had experience with creating or managing PDF files shouldn't have too many issues with the basic function that this program provides.
The three main functions that PDF Converter Professional 3 provides are creating PDF files, editing PDF files and exporting PDF files. The ease of use and interaction with other commonly used programs is excellent; while you're working in a Microsoft Office document (Word, Excel or PowerPoint) you can create a PDF file from directly within that document. You can also unblock PDF files and edit them as Word and Excel documents and save them in multiple file types.
In addition to simply opening a document in the software, you can drag a document into what ScanSoft calls the Create! Assistant; this then allows you to change important settings as well as combine multiple files into a single PDF document. Options that can be tweaked include image compression, security settings, file attachments and digital signatures. While there are plenty of options, new users will undoubtedly be frustrated with the cluttered interface; there's a lot to get your head around and the we think the toolbar should be a little less overloaded. The menu interfaces could also have been improved - they lack that finishing touch and look similar to what you'd see in an incomplete version of the software. Overall, the interface leaves a lot to be desired, which is disappointing.
There are however, a few small touches which complement this program well. The first is the ability to directly edit within PDF files. This means you can add text, delete, rearrange and even remove and edit the position as well as contents of graphics such as charts and tables. This is extremely convenient and we found it worked well most of the time. We did have one or two issues with editing charts, but it wasn't anything that hindered the software but it was worth a mention.
Undoubtedly one of the best features of PDF Converter Professional 3 is what ScanSoft has dubbed "FormTyper". Designed to combat having to print PDF forms and fill them out on paper, FormTyper allows you to make any PDF form fillable and then save and share it electronically. It's surprisingly effective and we are really surprised that it's taken so long to come to fruition in this type of software.
Unfortunately, ScanSoft requires you register the program before you use it for the first time, which we found a little frustrating. It doesn't take long to register, but if you don't do it straight away, you'll repeatedly see a pop up asking you to do so.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Huawei female watch review: Bringing out your inner fashionista
- 4 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 5 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- PowerDVD 16 gains 360-degree video playback: Here's how it works
- Microsoft will miss its one billion Windows 10 device target
- Google is working to make every website viewable in VR
- Twitter's new stickers are more useful than Snapchat
- YouTube is bringing live broadcasting for all to its mobile apps
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- FTEnvironment Management AnalystACT
- FTService Desk Team LeadNSW
- CCPMO ManagerVIC
- CCMicrosoft Business Intelligence (BI) ConsultantNSW
- CCProject Manager/ Sr PMO Analyst - Consulting BackgroundNSW
- FTSAP Basis ConsultantVIC
- FTProject CoordinatorQLD
- FTSenior Manager (Business Data Management)NSW
- CCApplication Service TechnicianVIC
- CCBusiness Intelligence Developer - Initial 3mth ContractVIC
- CCSenior Tester - Automation / Telecommunications (Urgent)NSW
- FTSAP ESB Service Management SpecialistVIC
- FTSAS Support SpecialistNSW
- CCInfrastructure Project ManagerACT
- CCService Lead - Cloud hosting and storageNSW
- CCMac (iOS) Support Engineer - $30 p/h - Three Year ContractNSW
- FTEmbedded Software EngineerWA
- CCSenior Security SpecialistNSW
- CCSenior Back-end .Net DeveloperNSW
- CCProject Engineer -VIC
- CCAgile Performance Tester- Bamboo, Jenkins, Confluence, JiraNSW
- FTChange and Release ManagerVIC
- CCIP Test Analyst - Baseline Security ClearanceVIC
- FTApplication Support AnalystSA