ScanSoft OmniPage 15
- Workflows, Batch scanning, Accurate
- Slow, No powerpoint support
This feature packed offering from ScanSoft has something for both beginners and advanced users alike.
Price$ 299.00 (AUD)
The aptly named Omnipage Professional 15 from ScanSoft allows users to scan both images and documents, edit them as text and export them as a different file type. The program is designed to be used in conjunction with a scanner, or you can simply work with existing files.
Setup for us took around 20 minutes and three separate programs are installed - PDF Converter, PDF Scanner and Omnipage itself. After installation, you will be required to activate the product online. Version 15 is still similar to previous versions of the software, but makes several key improvements, especially to workflows and folder watching.
The Omnipage screen is split into four different areas. At the top of the screen are a set of exceptionally intuitive toolbars, used for loading, scanning and exporting documents. Under these are two separate panels, one which displays the source document or image and the second a text editor which allows you to edit scanned text or images. The last section is at the bottom of the screen and is used to manage the various files you are working on.
Scanning a document is simple and involved pressing the 'Load File' button on the toolbar. You can either choose the source as coming from a scanner or use an existing document or image. Once the file is loaded, pressing 'Perform OCR' will display the document or image in the Text Editor, where you can perform basic image or document editing functions. These include rotating, cropping or editing graphics and aligning, font changes and formatting for text.
Once you have finished editing the document or file, you can either save it as an OPD file to work on it later, or export it in one of the dozens of formats Omnipage Profesional supports. This includes common formats such as Word, Excel and PDFs.
The Professional Edition also helpfully includes direct document to document conversion, meaning that you can convert a PDF file to an Excel file for example. We tried a few different document conversions and for the most part, the data converted was accurate but the formatting wasn't always what we desired. In most cases this was easily fixed. One thing we did notice is that while the program does give you the option to convert files to Microsoft Powerpoint, the file format is RTF and the result for us was just gibberish when we tried this with a PDF slide.
As manually editing files can be time consuming, ScanSoft has included automated processes called 'Workflows', which are simply a series of steps applied to whole documents. There are several preset workflows included or you can customize these or setup your own. For example, by pressing just one button, a workflow can launch that scans a document, converts it to Word file and emails it.
Another example of the automation strengths of this package is the inclusion of Batch Manager. This functionality allows you to define workflows to be run at a set point in time or based on an event, without you actually having to be there. For example, you can set Omnipage to watch a particular file folder or email inbox and whenever a certain type of file is detected, the program will automatically scan, export and save the file in a format of your choosing.
One of the problems you may have when scanning and converting a document is the quality of the original. Omnipage caters for this, providing basic image editing tools such as cropping, rotating and brightness to allow you to improve the images. You can also 'automate' these steps by creating an 'Enhancement Template', which essentially applies the same editing steps to multiple photos. For more complicated editing, you can define zones within documents itself.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 4 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 5 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- What Microsoft is taking away from Windows 10 in the Anniversary Update
- PowerDVD 16 gains 360-degree video playback: Here's how it works
- Microsoft will miss its one billion Windows 10 device target
- Google is working to make every website viewable in VR
- Twitter's new stickers are more useful than Snapchat
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- FTProject Coordinator- NSW Government - reform BackgroundNSW
- CCDirector - Technical Upgrade Program- Data migration, InfraNSW
- CCMac (iOS) Support Engineer - $30 p/h - Three Year ContractNSW
- FTFull-Stack .NET DeveloperVIC
- FTApplications Support / Systems Administrator | DefenceACT
- FTSAP Team LeadVIC
- CCOracle Pl/SQL DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior Process Analyst - Sydney CBDNSW
- FTServicenow DeveloperVIC
- FTIT Helpdesk (Microsoft)NSW
- CCSolution Architect - Supply ChainNSW
- CCProject Manager, Credit CardsNSW
- CCIP & Fixed Process Improvement SpecialistVIC
- FTSenior .Net Applications SupportACT
- CCDigital Project Manager, AgileNSW
- FTTechnical/Solutions ArchitectVIC
- CCProject Engineer -VIC
- CCSales Support Associate - TelecommunicationsNSW
- CCFrontend DevelopersQLD
- FTJava DeveloperVIC
- CCSenior PHP Developer (12 month contract )VIC
- FTCloud EngineerVIC
- CCService Lead - Cloud hosting and storageNSW
- FTProject Manager- Change ManagementSA