Sapphire Radeon HD 5850 1GB graphics card (Game Edition)
Following in the only slightly larger footprints of the sizzling 5870 graphics card comes this downscaled version, the Sapphire Radeon HD 5850 1GB.
- Good price, can support up to three screens, decent performance
- Until more DirectX 11 games are on the market we won't be able to test this card's performance fully
While the 5870 is all about showcasing innovation, the Sapphire Radeon HD 5850 1GB also boasts plenty of power, with many of the same features. The clincher, though, is the price.
Price$ 422.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 2 stores)
While the 5870 is designed for ultimate single-chip performance, the ATI Radeon HD 5850 aims to be a more modest version, yet one fast enough to satisfy demanding gamers.
You don't lose a great deal. Both use the 40nm manufacturing process, but the Sapphire Radeon HD 5850 1GB card is shorter, runs cooler and consumes a little less power - although still requires a pair of 6-pin power connectors.
It offers the same useful duo of HDMI and DVI ports, and can support up to three screens. There's the potential to stretch some games across three flat-panels using Eyefinity - creating an immersive cockpit in a flight sim or racing game, for example, or giving a wider range of view in a First Person Shooter.
The basic architecture remains the same. The 256-bit memory interface has been retained, but other specs are trimmed. Not by an awful lot, though, so the 5870's 850MHz core clock becomes 725MHz in the Sapphire Radeon HD 5850 1GB, and the memory clock slides from 1200MHz (4800MHz DDR effective) to 1000MHz (4000MHz). And the number of stream processors is sliced from 1600 to a still impressive 1440.
We'll have to wait a while yet to see DirectX 11 games in full glory. A small number of titles tuned for DX11 are due out before next year, but right now, all we have to judge is Battleforge, taking a small sampling of DX11's promised capabilities.
The most significant use of DX11 in the Sapphire Radeon HD 5850 1GB is in improving performance through compute shader, giving an extra 19 percent framerate in our tests.
But until we see games showcasing a range of DX11's artillery, we can't honestly assess these cards of their DirectX11 worth.
The Sapphire Radeon HD 5850 1GB is a clear contender on performance - never quite reaching the heights of the 5870, but neither finishing too far behind. Both the nVidia GTX 295 and ATI's 5870 remain ahead, but those cards are an awful lot more expensive. And the 5850 gives the 4870 X2 a good fight, beating it comfortably in a number of tests.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 4 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 5 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- 8 insider tips to help you become a Pokémon master
- Awesome: Hitman's next elusive assassination target is Gary "Wildcard" Busey
- Microsoft's slimmed-down Xbox One S launches August 2
- Star Wars: Trials on Tatooine brings free VR lightsaber battles to Steam today
- Watch as crowds gather to catch a rare Pokémon in Central Park
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- FTDefence Network EngineerACT
- FTAEM & AEM Forms ConsultantsWA
- CCUI/UX DeveloperVIC
- CCIOS DeveloperWA
- CCProject CoordinatorNSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (HP-UX/Oracle RDBMS) 160720/SA/113Asia
- CCExcel Modelling specialist/consultant.VIC
- FTProduct Owner - MarketingNSW
- FTSQL DATA AnalyticsNSW
- FTContinuous delivery application deployment automation specialist (DevOps)NSW
- FTFull stack (back end focus) Java Developer | Defence | NV1ACT
- CCDesktop Engineer (SCCM/SOE)WA
- FTInfrastructure Technology Platform ManagerVIC
- FTChange and Release ManagerVIC
- CCData Entry - TelecommunicationsNSW
- CCSoftware Developer- CobolACT
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160729/P/698Asia
- CCEnvironment Support AnalystQLD
- CCTest Manager - Baseline SecurityVIC
- CCBusiness Project ManagerVIC
- CCContract IT Assistant (Lotus Notes/PC LAN) 160722/ITA/474Asia
- FTSAS Support SpecialistNSW
- CC.Net Developer Application DesignerACT
- CCTest Lead-Agile, SCRUM, HP QC, JIRA, UX Government backgroundNSW