First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
Sapphire BLIZZARD RADEON X850 XT Platinum Edition
- Strong performance, quiet cooling
- Pricey, does not justify its cost
Another powerful card using the ATI X800, the Sapphire X800 XT runs very well, but at a huge cost premium that may turn off some consumers.
Price$ 999.00 (AUD)
Buy now (Selling at 5 stores)
This PCIe Radeon X800 XT is a little more powerful than the Nvidia 6600 GT-based cards we have tested, but there is a large price premium for that extra bit of performance.
However, the difference between this card and ATI Radeon X700 PRO-based cards was very noticeable in all resolutions--especially in the higher resolution tests, where this card recorded test scores almost 100 percent faster. This was due to the massive difference in throughput between the X800 XT, which can render more than double the amount of pixels per clock cycle than the X700 PRO chip. Physically, the card requires supplemental power to be connected, and the necessary cable is supplied.
For cooling, it relies on an ATI reference design heat sink and fan for the GPU. Its fan is rather large and can push a fair amount of air without spinning too fast, so is not very loud.
Connectivity is good, as it contains video input as well as output. Component cables are supplied, which allow the card to be connected to a high-definition TV. Two games are also bundled with the card.
Latest News Articles
- IoT inspires new components for energy, wireless
- Wolfram fortifies SystemModeler with more libraries
- State Department computer crash slows visa, passport applications worldwide
- Non-IBM Power8 servers, chips to appear early next year
- US Social Security Administration spent nearly $300M on IT project 'boondoggle,' lawmakers say
Most Popular Articles
- 1 What does an NBN connection look like in a new home?
- 2 Buying guide: Ovens, cooktops and freestanding cookers (upright ranges)
- 3 Tethering tutorial: How to use your iPhone as a modem
- 4 The most disturbing YouTube videos of all time
- 5 How to connect your iPhone to your TV
GGG Evaluation Team
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
Best Deals on GoodGearGuide
- PC Components View all »
- 25% off $598 free shipping
- $569.95 free shipping
- Desktop PCs View all »
- Notebooks View all »
- Servers & Storage View all »
- Software and Services View all »