Sanyo Xacti VPC-C1
- Size, battery life, MPEG quality, useful USB docking station
- Included SD card too small, tiny size makes recording stable handheld video difficult
The Sanyo Xacti VPC-C1 is a combination digital camcorder and digital still camera that takes reasonable still images and surprisingly good quality video.
Price$ 799.00 (AUD)
One of the smallest and lightest video cameras on the market at only 155 grams, the Xacti VPC-C1 looks more like a large clamshell mobile phone than a video capture device.
The Xacti is a breeze to operate, with simple, single-handed operation of the record and playback buttons and control over the 5.8X optical zoom within easy reach of the thumb. A useful joystick/menu button combination allows you to delve deeper into the settings when needed.
The Xacti captures still images at a resolution of up to 2 megapixels (interpolated up to 3.2 megapixels), with image quality good enough for 6" x 4" photo prints.
It records video to an SD card in MPEG-4 format, with the highest resolution mode being 640 x 480 pixels, shot at a rate of 30 frames per second (fps). Alternative rates include Web-HQ (320 x 240 at 15fps) and Web-S mode (176 x 144 at 15fps).
Video and still images are stored on a removable SD flash memory card. The Xacti is supplied with a 128MB SD card, which only gives you around 8 minutes of video at the highest setting. Purchasing a much larger SD card is highly recommended.
We found that the video was, at its highest quality setting, close to VHS quality. There is no widescreen mode.
The 5.8X optical zoom is excellent. The Xacti also has a 10X digital zoom, but this should used sparingly as the results are less than satisfactory.
A useful docking station serves as a video-out point should you want to copy video or stills to tape. It also provides USB 2.0 connection to a PC or Mac and acts as a battery charger for the camera.
The lithium ion battery was very effective, with one charge in our testing lasting for more than an hour of video and dozens of still images using the onboard flash.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 2 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 3 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 4 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Nvidia's pricey Shield Android TV adds some value with 4K YouTube and Netflix HDR in US
- Netflix's Fast.com download tester takes its war against slow ISPs directly to the user
- Nearly 100 classic NFL games headed to YouTube
- Netflix isn’t big on virtual reality for the obvious reasons
- Netflix loosens up streaming video, letting users choose their cellular speed limit
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCJunior / Mid Level Java Developer - Developing Restful Microservice SolutionsVIC
- CCSenior IT Security Specialist-SANS, ISC2, ISACA, ITILNSW
- CCDevOps Software Configuration ManagerACT
- CCTechnology Team Lead / Senior Developer - JavaNSW
- CCSr. Windows Server Administrator- Financial Institution BckgNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/Oracle) 160523/AP/254Asia
- CCechnical Specialist ApplicationsACT
- CCLinux AdministratorVIC
- CCProject Manager/Iteration ManagerVIC
- CCSolutions Architect - SAP HANAQLD
- CCSecurity Consultant - Telecommunications and NetworksSA
- CCSystems Engineer - NV2ACT
- CCApplication DevelopersQLD
- CCOracle DBA | 3-6mth ContractVIC
- CCDeemed Order Business SpecialistVIC
- CCProject CoordinatorNSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Linux/Orcale/MySQL) 160531/SA/253Asia
- CCContract Computer Operator (UNIX/Windows-based) 1610524/CCO/vmtAsia
- CCProject CoordinatorACT
- CCContract Programmer (MS SQL Server/SQL/Web) 160518/P/626Asia
- CCScrum MasterACT
- CCSenior Program DirectorNSW
- FTWeb DeveloperSA
- FTSenior Java Developer / Technical LeadACT
- CCNetwork Access Specialist - Telecommunications (Apply now)!!NSW