A multimedia projector with high brightness levels
- Great brightness levels, decent fan noise
- Low contrast
For a model that's marginally portable the Sanyo PLC-XU105 produces an incredibly bright picture. It doesn't display the richest and most colourful pictures, however.
Price$ 2,495.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 2 stores)
The PLC-XU105 from Sanyo is a good multimedia projector that can handle being set up in difficult conditions thanks to an extremely high brightness level.
Sanyo has opted for a thin, long body for the PLC-XU105, rather than a square, tall case like the Sharp PGF312X. The result is a projector with an understated, modern look. It's a compact projector, but at 3.5 kilograms it's not light, so you may find it difficult to carry for long periods of time.
The control panel on the top of the unit has a central arrow pad, with all other buttons arranged directly above and below. While this may be set out differently to most other projectors, it's functional enough to get the job done.
The projector has no DVI connector; instead there are two VGA ports. S-Video and composite are also present. When displaying content the PLC-XU105 performs well thanks to its high native resolution of 1024x768 pixels. Presentations look crisp, with no noticeable aliasing or pixelation on graphs and charts.
Colours are decently displayed, but the major failing point of the PLC-XU105 is its inability to display information within light and dark portions of colour pictures. The projector's contrast ratio is 500:1, which is simply not enough to display a full colour range. This means the projector is not so useful for displaying full-motion video compared to PowerPoint presentations, for example.
This is reinforced by the incredibly high brightness levels that the PLC-XU105 can produce: 4500 ANSI lumens is high enough to display a consistently bright background in a dark room. Even with overhead fluorescent lights switched on, the projector's image hardly lost any sharpness and clarity.
Noise from the unit, even at full brightness, was quite bearable. The PLC-XU105's fan has a low hum rather than a whir like some other models we've tested, which makes loud noises slightly easier to handle. Reported noise levels are 34dB in full brightness mode, which is a full 3dB lower than the Sharp PGF312X.
Another great feature offered is instant shut-down. Once you've finished with your presentation you can switch off the projector immediately, without waiting for any additional cooling by the fan. This is a definite bonus if you're on the move, and it is especially surprising considering its high brightness levels.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 2 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 3 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 4 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Sony’s new liquid-cooled 4K home video projector delivers 5000 lumens of brightness, costs $60,000
- BenQ targets Epson with revamped home entertainment projectors
- LG's new Laser Display gives you 100in of full HD glory
- Vivid Sydney 2012 gets some love from will.i.am
- InFocus releases cheap short-throw projector
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCPositive Vetted ICT positions - Defence intelligence and information securityACT
- CCService Provider Manager - DesktopVIC
- FTOPEN _ ASAP_Technical Specialist COEACT
- CCService Desk analystSA
- FTSenior Programmer (Data Engineering)NSW
- FTJunior Web Developer | CBD | Digital AgencyVIC
- CCSecurity Administrative Support OfficerACT
- FTIT Support - Level 1NSW
- FTPeoplesoft CRM DeveloperWA
- CCOperations Systems Support ManagerNSW
- CCSenior Network Engineer - NV1ACT
- CCSenior Change AnalystNSW
- CCMicrosoft System Engineer - NV1ACT
- CCBusiness Systems AnalystQLD
- FTTechnical Specialist EmailACT
- CCProject Manager - Healthcare DomainSA
- CCSenior Business AnalystVIC
- CCApplication Server AdminACT
- FTStorage SpecialistVIC
- CCOpen Source Specialist / Senior ConsultantQLD
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/SQL/Web) 160519/AP/453Asia
- CCMS Dynamics CRM ConsultantVIC
- FTPerformance Test AnalystNSW
- CCProgram Business AnalystVIC
- CCExcel DeveloperVIC