- iPod charging and playback, high-visibility screen
- Mediocre sound quality, no complex access for iPod
A competent clock radio with the added bonus of iPod playback, but with limited usability and cheap speakers.
Price$ 129.00 (AUD)
Sanyo's DMP-P6 clock radio offers all the features you'd expect from a simple radio alarm clock, as well as the ability to connect an iPod for charging and music playback. Unfortunately, music browsing using the inbuilt buttons is not possible, and the speakers are mediocre.
The radio has a pleasant blue backlit LCD and silver accents on a white body. Using the standard buttons on the top of the device, it can switch between AM/FM radio, the iPod dock, and an auxiliary 3.5mm input. The radio function has the ability to store 10 presets per band, while reception was good when using the inbuilt FM antenna. However, there is no way to easily return to a preset station, with it being necessary to cycle through all stored presets.
The speakers of the clock radio aren't fantastic. There is just enough mid-bass to disguise the tinny sound common to clock radio speakers, but the unit lacks both higher treble notes and any lower bass at all. While the unit is suitable as a bedroom system, listening for long periods of time would expose the lacking sound quality. Further to this, using any bass enhancement from external devices like iPods can cause speaker distortion.
As well as the standard alarm clock and radio features, the device offers an iPod dock connector on the top of the unit, as well as a 3.5mm auxiliary connector. We found that there was no way to access the auxiliary input if an iPod was plugged in, which makes the device somewhat complicated to use if you want to switch between an iPod and an external connection like another MP3 player.
iPod connectivity allows for the unit to be charged as well as providing playback. The easy access is useful, however, the radio's ability to control the iPod and select songs is limited. Only skip forward and backward buttons are found on the DMP-P6, which means anything more intensive must be done using the click wheel of the iPod itself, which is difficult when in the dock. An auxiliary-out connector is provided, which means the unit can be used solely as an iPod dock for a larger stereo if needed.
Sanyo's DMP-P6, offers more functionality than a standard clock radio, but does not implement these features seamlessly. The unit suffers from poor sound quality and a lack of iPod browsing, but on the other hand it excels in its ability to set dual alarms and the option to wake to multiple sources, including directly to iPod playback.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Google Daydream VR headset
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Lexar® Portable SSD
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Acer Swift 7
Huawei Mate 9
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Dell XPS 13 laptop
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Surface Pro 4
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Apple TV will serve as hub for remotely controlling HomeKit devices
- Sony Smart B-Trainer headset gives runners vocal advice
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
- Apple shows off iPod touch, nano updates
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- TPBI Commercial AnalystVIC
- TPSenior Business AnalystVIC
- FT.Net DeveloperNSW
- CCJunior Data ArchitectACT
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Manufacturing and Trade & Logistics Modules)ACT
- CCERP Business Analyst (Time Capture/ Management) - Contract - Sydney CBDNSW
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Supply Chain Modules)WA
- FTSAP BW ConsultantACT
- TPLead Change Manager - ERPVIC
- TPICT Contracts Compliance ManagerWA
- FTTechnical Consultant MS Dynamics AXACT
- TPSolution Architect - IntegrationQLD
- FTMid-Level Software Engineer x 2 - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)VIC
- TPTechnical ConsultantNSW
- CCWindows AdministratorACT
- CCFirewall EngineerNSW
- CCTechnical Consultant - ITSM/HP Service ManagerACT
- TPBusiness Analyst - PeopleSoft HR/Payroll ProjectVIC
- CCSAP ISU Device Management ConsultantNSW
- FTDynamics AX Functional ConsultantVIC
- CCProject Manager - Adelaide basedVIC
- TPSenior Java Developer - ContractQLD
- FTL1 Application SupportWA
- TPPerformance Test Analyst - Perth BasedQLD
- FTSenior Java Developers (Several positions available)QLD