- iPod charging and playback, high-visibility screen
- Mediocre sound quality, no complex access for iPod
A competent clock radio with the added bonus of iPod playback, but with limited usability and cheap speakers.
Price$ 129.00 (AUD)
Sanyo's DMP-P6 clock radio offers all the features you'd expect from a simple radio alarm clock, as well as the ability to connect an iPod for charging and music playback. Unfortunately, music browsing using the inbuilt buttons is not possible, and the speakers are mediocre.
The radio has a pleasant blue backlit LCD and silver accents on a white body. Using the standard buttons on the top of the device, it can switch between AM/FM radio, the iPod dock, and an auxiliary 3.5mm input. The radio function has the ability to store 10 presets per band, while reception was good when using the inbuilt FM antenna. However, there is no way to easily return to a preset station, with it being necessary to cycle through all stored presets.
The speakers of the clock radio aren't fantastic. There is just enough mid-bass to disguise the tinny sound common to clock radio speakers, but the unit lacks both higher treble notes and any lower bass at all. While the unit is suitable as a bedroom system, listening for long periods of time would expose the lacking sound quality. Further to this, using any bass enhancement from external devices like iPods can cause speaker distortion.
As well as the standard alarm clock and radio features, the device offers an iPod dock connector on the top of the unit, as well as a 3.5mm auxiliary connector. We found that there was no way to access the auxiliary input if an iPod was plugged in, which makes the device somewhat complicated to use if you want to switch between an iPod and an external connection like another MP3 player.
iPod connectivity allows for the unit to be charged as well as providing playback. The easy access is useful, however, the radio's ability to control the iPod and select songs is limited. Only skip forward and backward buttons are found on the DMP-P6, which means anything more intensive must be done using the click wheel of the iPod itself, which is difficult when in the dock. An auxiliary-out connector is provided, which means the unit can be used solely as an iPod dock for a larger stereo if needed.
Sanyo's DMP-P6, offers more functionality than a standard clock radio, but does not implement these features seamlessly. The unit suffers from poor sound quality and a lack of iPod browsing, but on the other hand it excels in its ability to set dual alarms and the option to wake to multiple sources, including directly to iPod playback.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 2 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 3 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
- 4 Ford Focus ST (2015) review: Absolutely mental styling, engine, handling
- 5 LG 65-inch UHD TV (65UF950T) review
Deals on Good Gear Guide
- Networking, Wireless & VoIP
Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Apple TV will serve as hub for remotely controlling HomeKit devices
- Sony Smart B-Trainer headset gives runners vocal advice
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
- Apple shows off iPod touch, nano updates
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTDatabase Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Account Manager - PR AgencyNSW
- FTLinux Administrator with AWS & DevopsNSW
- FTProduct Marketing ManagerNSW
- CCMilitary simulation programmer with C# and Unity - 3 monthsNSW
- FTField EngineerNSW
- FTSystems Administrator - Managed ServicesNSW
- FTSenior Consultant | Project work | National Systems IntegratorVIC
- FTSales SpecialistNSW
- FTDigital ManagerNSW
- FTLevel 2 IT Support TechnicianVIC
- FTSystems Administrator | National commercial law firm | MS, AWS & eDiscoveryNSW
- FTManual Test Engineer | Financial Institution | Web testingNSW
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- FTBusiness Development & Account ManagementNSW
- FT1st & 2nd level IT support all-rounder in beautiful rural BathurstNSW
- FTMid level IT consultant | Systems Integration & Managed ServicesNSW
- FTAccount Manager | Client Side - Previous Agency Experience Welcome!!NSW
- CCE-Commerce - Senior Web Application DeveloperNSW
- FTAccount Manager | Music IndustryNSW