Sandisk ImageMate 12-in-1
- Easy-to-use, zippy transfer rates
- Expensive if you only rely on one type of card
SanDisk's ImageMate 12-in-1 USB 2.0 card reader/writer is a good bet for anyone looking for a hassle-free way to connect multiple cards to a PC or Mac.
Price$ 49.00 (AUD)
Digital cameras, mobile phones, PDAs, MP3 players, and hordes of other digital devices all demand some form of removable media to store data. Though the computer and consumer electronics industries have worked hard to rally around standard formats, flash media still comes in countless shapes and sizes. Worse yet, there are an enormous number of USB connectors that allow digital devices to connect to a PC, so you have to wrestle with a bundle of cables just to transfer pictures, MP3s or work files back to your computer.
SanDisk offers a 12-in-1 USB 2.0 card reader and writer to simplify the process of connecting these cards to a PC. The device simply plugs into any spare USB port and appears under Windows or Mac OS as an extra drive. The slots are clearly labelled, which makes connecting cards a breeze. The ImageMate unit supports all the common standards, including CompactFlash I and II, SD, mini-SD, MultiMedia Card (MMC), RS-MMC, SmartMedia, xD, and all flavours of MemoryStick (MemoryStick Duo, MemoryStick PRO, and MemoryStick PRO Duo).
The silver and black reader measures 2 x 7 x 10cm, but it ships with a USB cradle that allows it to stand upright and save desk space. The reader draws power from the USB port, so you don't have to worry about messing around with AC adaptors, either. SanDisk recognises that the most common users for this type of product are digital photographers, and the company has wisely included a starter edition of Adobe Photo Shop Album 2.0 to help touch-up images.
A transfer button is present on the top of the machine that can be configured to automatically copy images to a hard disk and then perform additional functions like printing or e-mailing. Best of all, the USB 2.0 connection allows for much zippier transfers than older USB 1.0/1.1 devices can manage (we clocked a data transfer rate of 11.2 MB per second when transferring images from an 80x CompactFlash card), which can add up to a significant time-saving if you are working with 2 GB memory cards.
If you have a number of digital devices that rely on different types of flash media, SanDisk's ImageMate 12-in-1 reader and writer is a handy investment.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 2 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 3 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 4 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Akitio's combines two speedy technologies in blazing external SSD
- Intel claims storage supremacy with swift 3D XPoint Optane drives, 1-petabyte 3D NAND
- Intel's new super-fast SSDs feature 3D NAND
- Samsung begins shipping redonkulous 15.36TB SSD
- Seagate releases the first 2TB ultra-slim HDD
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCInfrastructure Engineer - Windows, VMWare, HyperVWA
- CCContract Programmer (Crystal Report/HTML/SQL) 160428/P/244Asia
- FTLevel 2 IT Field Systems Engineer/Administrator - Multiple opportunitiesNSW
- CCSr. Iteration ManagerVIC
- CCMS Biz Talk ConsultantNSW
- CCSolution ArchitectQLD
- FTTechnical Lead (Guidewire Policy Center)NSW
- CCData AnalystVIC
- FTData AnalystNSW
- CCSenior Project Manager, Technology Upgrade & RefreshNSW
- CCProject Specialist - Contact Center and Unified CommunicationsVIC
- FTVendor Manager / Team Lead - ITIL / ITSMVIC
- FTSoftware Design Engineer (Embedded Software)SA
- FTSolution Architect (Guidewire Billing Center)NSW
- CCITIL Environment, Configuration, Release Manager- Banking/GovtNSW
- FTSolution ArchitectVIC
- CCTechnical ExpertVIC
- CCTechnical WriterACT
- CCContract ManagerVIC
- CCSystems TrainerVIC
- FTSystem EngineerACT
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/Oracle/Unix) 160509/AP/395Asia
- CCContract Systems Analyst (C++/JAVA/SQL) 160505/SA/971Asia
- FTBusiness Intelligence ConsultantSA
- CCAnalyst Programmer (JAVA/Windows Programming) 160422/AP/544Asia