Sandisk Extreme Ducati Edition (4GB)
- Excellent design, build quality, speed, cap-free, 4GB of storage, lifetime warranty
- Expensive, no pre-installed software/applications
Ducati fans will no doubt be salivating over the Extreme, but for the rest of us, excellent speeds, good build quality and plenty of storage make this an excellent, if pricey, USB flash drive.
Price$ 159.00 (AUD)
Designed to look like a motorcycle, SanDisk's latest attempt to spice up the normally dull product line of USB flash drives is certainly a head turner. Finished in gloss red, silver and black metal, and even featuring a taillight that glows when the drive is in use, the Extreme Ducati Edition is definitely one of the most visually appealing USB flash drives on the market.
Looks aren't everything though, and SanDisk claims the 4GB Extreme has a 20MBps read and write speed. To assess this, we dragged and dropped a folder containing 397MB of JPEG files from our PC onto the drive, and vice versa. It took 1min 04sec to transfer the files from our PC onto the unit, which works out at approximately 6.2MBps. Read speeds took just 35sec, equating to a notable 11.3MBps. Although these speeds aren't up to SanDisk's proclaimed 20MBps, they should still satisfy even the most demanding of tech geeks. The Extreme is definitely one of the fastest USB flash drives currently available on the market.
Although some may regard the design as little more than a gimmick, the red metal finish does echo a sense of sturdiness, and build quality feels excellent. The USB port is concealed within the device, and slides open via a small button at the bottom of the unit, negating the need for easily losable caps. The metal finish does weigh down the Extreme though, so wearing it around your neck with the included lanyard is best avoided.
The sleek, curved casing really does look like a Ducati motorcycle and a nice finishing touch is the Ducati badge on top of the drive. You obviously pay for the Ducati licence, but there is no doubt that motorcycle fans will find this device extremely appealing.
SanDisk includes their RescuePRO Deluxe software in the sales package - data recovery software for any memory card format. Considering the asking price though, we were a little disappointed to learn that the Extreme Ducati Edition doesn't come with any other pre-installed software or applications. On the upside, SanDisk offers a lifetime limited warranty.
All up, while the Ducati licensing may be a gimmick to some, the Extreme combines excellent build quality, good speeds and an attractive design to create an appealing USB flash drive. For its asking price, it's a little heavy, and there is no pre-installed software or applications, but overall, the Extreme Ducati Edition is a welcome entry into the market and breathes some life into the normally boring category of USB flash drives.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
Latest News Articles
- Prices of SSDs and DRAM will crash in 2019, Gartner predicts
- Pure adds more NVMe with an eye to the next storage speed bump
- What one company learned from testing Intel's superfast Optane SSDs
- New, colourful LaCie Rugged Thunderbolt USB-C was designed by Neil Poulton
- Western Digital begins production of the world's tallest 3D NAND 'skyscraper'
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSenior Java EngineerWA
- FTSolutions Architect (Collaboration Technology) - Permanent - Sydney CBDNSW
- FTSenior Business Analyst - Health experience requiredNSW
- TPProject ManagerQLD
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- TPProject Manager | HealthQLD
- FTDigital ProducerNSW
- TPSenior Project Manager - Life InsuranceNSW
- CCIT Information Architect..VIC
- TPProduct ManagerVIC
- CCTechnical Consultant - ITSM/HP Service ManagerQLD
- FTCRM Technical Specialist (Oracle Eloqua)SA
- FTSnr Technical Salesforce Consultant Global IT Managed Services - SydneyNSW
- FTSecurity EngineerACT
- FTInfrastructure Project Manager Office 365 ImplementationVIC
- CCSAP CRM Functional AnalystNSW
- FTPERMANENT Business AnalystsQLD
- FTPMO CoordinatorSA
- FTOperational Safety Project ManagersSA
- FTLevel 3 Application Support AnalystVIC
- FTProject Coordinator ($280-$300 per day)NSW
- CCSAP CRM Functional AnalystQLD
- CCBusiness Project Manager - ApplicationsNSW
- FTTechnical ConsultantACT
- TPPrincipal Project Officer - ReportingQLD