Sandisk Extreme Ducati Edition (4GB)
- Excellent design, build quality, speed, cap-free, 4GB of storage, lifetime warranty
- Expensive, no pre-installed software/applications
Ducati fans will no doubt be salivating over the Extreme, but for the rest of us, excellent speeds, good build quality and plenty of storage make this an excellent, if pricey, USB flash drive.
Price$ 159.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 3 stores)
Designed to look like a motorcycle, SanDisk's latest attempt to spice up the normally dull product line of USB flash drives is certainly a head turner. Finished in gloss red, silver and black metal, and even featuring a taillight that glows when the drive is in use, the Extreme Ducati Edition is definitely one of the most visually appealing USB flash drives on the market.
Looks aren't everything though, and SanDisk claims the 4GB Extreme has a 20MBps read and write speed. To assess this, we dragged and dropped a folder containing 397MB of JPEG files from our PC onto the drive, and vice versa. It took 1min 04sec to transfer the files from our PC onto the unit, which works out at approximately 6.2MBps. Read speeds took just 35sec, equating to a notable 11.3MBps. Although these speeds aren't up to SanDisk's proclaimed 20MBps, they should still satisfy even the most demanding of tech geeks. The Extreme is definitely one of the fastest USB flash drives currently available on the market.
Although some may regard the design as little more than a gimmick, the red metal finish does echo a sense of sturdiness, and build quality feels excellent. The USB port is concealed within the device, and slides open via a small button at the bottom of the unit, negating the need for easily losable caps. The metal finish does weigh down the Extreme though, so wearing it around your neck with the included lanyard is best avoided.
The sleek, curved casing really does look like a Ducati motorcycle and a nice finishing touch is the Ducati badge on top of the drive. You obviously pay for the Ducati licence, but there is no doubt that motorcycle fans will find this device extremely appealing.
SanDisk includes their RescuePRO Deluxe software in the sales package - data recovery software for any memory card format. Considering the asking price though, we were a little disappointed to learn that the Extreme Ducati Edition doesn't come with any other pre-installed software or applications. On the upside, SanDisk offers a lifetime limited warranty.
All up, while the Ducati licensing may be a gimmick to some, the Extreme combines excellent build quality, good speeds and an attractive design to create an appealing USB flash drive. For its asking price, it's a little heavy, and there is no pre-installed software or applications, but overall, the Extreme Ducati Edition is a welcome entry into the market and breathes some life into the normally boring category of USB flash drives.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 4 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 5 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Samsung’s massive 15TB SSD can be yours -- for about $10K
- WD's new external drive is the first self-contained, fully portable Plex media server
- How to recover data from a corrupt hard drive or SSD with no backup on Mac: How to delete corrupted files on external Mac drive
- Akitio's combines two speedy technologies in blazing external SSD
- Intel claims storage supremacy with swift 3D XPoint Optane drives, 1-petabyte 3D NAND
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- CCIT Project Manager - Data Centre ProjectNSW
- FTFull stack (back end focus) Java Developer | Defence | NV1ACT
- CCeLearning Developer / Learning Management System AdministratorACT
- FTSAP PI ABAP SpecialistVIC
- CCIP Test Analyst - Baseline Security ClearanceVIC
- CCDatabase AdministratorNSW
- FTFull Stack DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior PHP Developer (12 month contract )VIC
- FTOPEN_ASAP_Configuration ManagerACT
- FTContinuous delivery application deployment automation specialist (DevOps)NSW
- CCService Lead - Cloud hosting and storageNSW
- CCInformatica DeveloperNSW
- CCSQL DeveloperNSW
- FT1st Level IT Support - Microsoft EnvironmentNSW
- CCProject Manager/ Sr PMO Analyst - Consulting BackgroundNSW
- CCNetwork Engineer - NV2 ClearanceVIC
- CCSenior Back-end .Net DeveloperNSW
- FTSOE Desktop Engineer - must have SCCM 2012NSW
- CCIOS DeveloperWA
- CCSystems AdministratorSA
- CCReport Business Analyst- BI, Oracle, SAP, TableauNSW
- FTDefence Network EngineerACT
- CCIP & Fixed Process Improvement SpecialistVIC
- FTInfrastructure Technology Platform ManagerVIC