Sandisk Cruzer Profile
- Biometric Scanning, Encryption software, Nice extras
A great thumb drive for the security conscious, offering layers of protection for your valuable data.
Price$ 150.00 (AUD)
If you're like us, you regularly carry lots of Classification six CIA documents around with you. Until recently, we'd just been keeping them on a regular USB stick for any spy to steal, but with the new Cruzer Profile this isn't a concern. A USB stick with a built in finger print reader, the Profile offers layers of security, including biometric scanning and encryption, keeping your data secure as you move between PCs. You do sacrifice a little in terms of size and style, but for the security conscious this is a pretty nifty device.
Coming in 512MB and 1GB capacities, the Profile is a fairly standard USB key in terms of functionality. It is USB 2.0 compliant and our testing revealed transfers consistent with this speed.
The real selling point of the Profile is its biometric functionality. The unit splits in half revealing a small finger print reader, similar to those found on notebooks, and this is used to grant access to the data on the drive. The first time you use it you'll have to boot up a piece of software to input your finger prints; it can store up to 10 at once. It is interesting to note that Sandisk has partitioned this drive into two separate sections (something we haven't seen before on a flash drive) and it can conflict with your drive mappings if you have a lot of network drives. The second drive is only needed to add new finger prints, so it isn't a big issue after the initial setup, but we struggled to use it on our work machine as we have multiple network drives already configured. Taking it to a separate, non-networked machine fixed this problem.
We had no issues with the scanner's operation. It worked perfectly, taking a single clean swipe to register our print. Prior to scanning the drive shows up, but gives a formatting error. A single swipe opens it up and leaves it open until you remove the drive from the PC.
Aside from biometrics, the Profile also offers a variety of encryption options to further secure your data. The proprietary Cruzerlock software allows easy drag and drop encryption of any files you wish to store securely; access is granted by a standard username and password system. By default the Profile comes with the basic version of Cruzerlock, but you can choose to purchase an upgraded version, which gives enhanced functionality including network file sharing, the ability to control the level of access to your data (read only etc.) and the ability to lock the files to a single machine. For most people the basic version should be more than adequate.
There are a few other useful programs as well. Cruzersync allows easy synchronisation of your Outlook, Lotus Notes, Calendar, Contacts and Documents across multiple machines, while PocketCache lets you select certain important directories that are backed up automatically every time you plug your key in.
Of course all these security features come at a price; the biometric scanner does take up a fairly hefty amount of space. The Profile is twice as wide as most modern USB sticks and thus will be much more obvious hanging from your keyring or in your pocket. However it isn't a big enough problem to really be an impediment. The other design flaw is the cord that connects the two sections of the device. Why SanDisk didn't make it a single piece is beyond us. If the cord happens to break or get damaged in some way, all your data is lost. Aside from these small issues, the Cruzer Profile is an excellent storage device for the security concious.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Huawei Mate 9
Lexar® Portable SSD
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Google Daydream VR headset
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Acer Swift 7
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Surface Pro 4
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 2 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
- 3 Panasonic Blu-ray recorder PVR set-top box review
- 4 Garmin Fenix Chronos fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 5 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
Latest News Articles
- New, colourful LaCie Rugged Thunderbolt USB-C was designed by Neil Poulton
- Western Digital begins production of the world's tallest 3D NAND 'skyscraper'
- WD will make a record-breaking 14TB hard drive available next year
- Start hoarding SSDs: Prices are expected to spike as supply gets tight
- Intel's silence on Optane SSDs raises questions about launch and focus
PCW Evaluation Team
- First look at the Formula 1 2017 pit lane in Melbourne, Australia
- LG 2017 OLED and Super LED UHD 4K TVs: Hands-on review
- Oppo R9s Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media ExecutiveNSW
- CCTechnical Business AnalystVIC
- FTSoftware EngineerSA
- CC.Net Developer - SilverlightVIC
- CC.NET Developer!QLD
- FTTechnical ConsultantACT
- FTMid Level PHP DeveloperNSW
- FTHead of ArchitectureNSW
- CCFinancial/Logistics Administration OfficerACT
- CCBusiness Analyst - ForecastingNSW
- FTBusiness AnalystQLD
- CCServiceNow Specialist - Administration and DevelopmentVIC
- FTNetwork Security AnalystNSW
- CCSenior Full Stack Web Developer - Port MacquarieNSW
- TPBusiness AnalystVIC
- FTOracle eBusiness Functional Consultant. (Procurement)NSW
- TPAgile Implementation LeadNSW
- FTHadoop Service AdministratorSA
- FTWeb BA LeadQLD
- FTIT Security Team LeadNSW
- CCTechnical Project ManagerNSW
- FTC# / ASP.NET DeveloperSA
- FTSenior Java DeveloperQLD
- FTLinux / Unix Systems AdministratorSA
- CCSenior Network Designer - CiscoVIC