- The smallest 3G phone we have seen, Two cameras, Transflash expansion slot
- No FM radio, Low battery life
The Z500 will be welcome to news to long suffering 3G consumers, who have until now had to put up with bulky sized phones.
Price$ 755.00 (AUD)
Who said 3G phones have to be big and clunky? Samsungs latest 3G offering, the SGH-Z500 is a compact flip phone that claims the title as the world's smallest 3G mobile. Sleek and stylish, much in the same mould as the E720 and E730, don't let the size of the Z500 fool you, as Samsung have crammed two cameras, Bluetooth support, a memory expansion slot and an MP3 player into the diminutive silver and black case.
We were impressed with the viewing clarity of the 176x220 pixel screen, which supports 262k colours and displays 8 lines of text. The external LCD was only 80 x 64 pixels, a lower resolution than we have seen on other Samsung models, but still bright enough to do the job.
The Z500 ships with 50MB of internal memory, which is ample for basic organizer functions, and allows storage of 1000 phone book entries and 200 SMS messages. However a major improvement to earlier Samsung models is the inclusion of a Transflash memory expansion slot so users can add extra memory to the phone
Transflash memory is ultra small removable flash memory, which retails for just a little more than regular SD cards and is available in 128MB, 256MB and 512MB sizes. The memory slot is a welcome addition to the Z500 and allows users to make full use of the included MP3 player. In our tests, we found the sound quality clear through the supplied headphones, but were disappointed the Z500 lacks an FM radio.
Samsung have equipped the Z500 with two camera lenses, a VGA 0.3 megapixel lens on the inside for video calling and a 1MP lens on the outside, which can take photos at 1152 x 864 pixels in single, multi or mosaic shot modes, although we could not locate a flash. Video capture is supported and video effects include sepia, black and white and night modes. The camera settings on this unit were fairly standard, and users have the ability to choose the quality of photos and videos, as with other Samsung units.
For connectivity, the Z500 supports Bluetooth, Infrared, WAP and caters for SMS, MMS and email. The unit can be synchronized with a PC and Microsoft outlook using a supplied USB cable, although the Samsung PC Studio needs to be installed on your PC beforehand.
The Z500 promises 3.4 hours of talk time, although this drops to only 2.2 hours if used for 3G calls.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Huawei Mate 9
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Acer Swift 7
Google Daydream VR headset
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Lexar® Portable SSD
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Surface Pro 4
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Lenovo to integrate Amazon Alexa in Moto smartphones
- HMD's new Nokia 3310 turns back the clock -- and turns heads
- Huawei showcases new phones in Barcelona, gets mobbed by eager crowds
- Huawei's P10 camera-phone comes in more colors than the rainbow
- Nokia now has three budget Android phones in its arsenal, but everyone is going to want the 3310
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSenior Software Engineer x 2 - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)VIC
- TPSCCM SpecialistVIC
- CCDeployment EngineerSA
- FTWeb Developer / Applications AnalystQLD
- FTJunior Software Engineer - Positive Vetting, NV2 or NV1 requiredSA
- TPSenior Test AnalystQLD
- CCWPF .NET EngineerNSW
- CCSAP Billing & Invoicing ConsultantNSW
- CCFront End DeveloperNSW
- FTIt Security and process analystNSW
- TPUI/UX ConsultantWA
- FTTechnical Business AnalystNSW
- CCSAP/ Nakisa Implementation ConsultantQLD
- TPSOE AdministratorQLD
- TPSenior Java Developer - ContractQLD
- FTBusiness Intelligence Analyst / DeveloperNSW
- CCTest AnalystQLD
- CCSenior Technical SpecialistNSW
- CCSenior Mobile Application DeveloperNSW
- TPWinforms DevelopersWA
- FTJunior Software Engineer - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)ACT
- FTLevel 3 EngineerNSW
- CCSenior Project Coordinator - Banking/Financial ServicesNSW
- FTL1 Application SupportWA
- CCDevops Consultant - 12 month contractVIC