Samsung Writemaster SH-W162C/RSWN
- Good quality burning
- Pricey, no DVD-RAM burning
A little pricey for what you get, nonetheless this Samsung model burns very high quality discs.
Price$ 129.00 (AUD)
Replacing the Samsung TS-H552, the SH-W162C/RSWN is the latest in the Writemaster range. It has made a great leap from 4x DVD +/- RW to 16x. In our tests we only had 6x DVD +R available, which burnt 4GB in 7min (a data rate of 9MBps). This was slightly slower than the competition, but burnt a better quality.
The real competition in the DVD market lies in the double-layer burning. The SH-W162C/RSWN burns DVD+R DL at 5x, however, it detected our 2.4x discs at 6x and produced a readable burn of 7.4GB in 20 minutes, a data rate of 6MBps.
The quality of this burn appeared nearly perfect when we analysed it later. This is due to Samsung's Silent Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) and Tilt Actuator Compensation Technology (TACT).
The Silent PWM allows for more precise voltage waveforms at high disc speeds and the TACT provides the correct angle for the laser to write, for each part of the disc. The SH-W162C/RSWN has a 2MB buffer and a burst rate of 25MB. However, it lacks DVD-RAM, which you will find in most burners in a similar price range.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 2 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 3 Parrot Mambo Drone review
- 4 Evapolar USB air conditioner review
- 5 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
Latest News Articles
- Google, IBM, and others team up to hasten data transfers in computers
- Seagate drops the world's largest tiny hard drive
- Review: ADATA’s waterproof SSD is small, rugged -- and pricey
- Samsung releases the world’s fastest gumstick SSD
- Samsung's 960 Pro and 960 Evo SSDs marry crazy-fast speeds with roomy capacity
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: The new best Android phone
- TV buying guide: What to look for when buying a TV in 2016
- Best iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus plans: Optus vs Telstra vs Vodafone vs Virgin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSenior .Net Software EngineerVIC
- CCContract Systems Analyst (SQL/Web) 161027/SA/842Asia
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (Web Programming) 161013/AP/185Asia
- CCSenior Project ManagerACT
- FTMobile Delivery Manager / Studio LeadNSW
- CCADABAS Database Administrator - NV1 clearedACT
- CCFront End DeveloperNSW
- FTEnterprise ArchitectNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (J2EE/Oracle) 161031/AP/512Asia
- CCMobile Developers (IOS and Android)QLD
- CCSenior Java Developer-Java SE 8, HTTP APIs, Protocol BuffersNSW
- CCDevOps/Automation EngineerNSW
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 161018/P/911Asia
- CCSAP Release & Deployment ManagerNSW
- CCContract Computer Operator (UNIX/Windows-based) 161014/CO/vmtAsia
- CCQlikview DeveloperNSW
- CCChange Manager - Telco projectsNSW
- CCAutomation Test AnalystNSW
- CCTechnology TrainerNSW
- CCContract Junior Programmer (PC LAN Support) 161028/JP/203Asia
- FTBusiness Analyst - PIMAsia
- CCAgile Business AnalystVIC
- CCContract Junior Programmer (J2EE/Oracle/XML) 161018/JP/922Asia
- CCSAS DI DeveloperNSW
- CCE-Commerce - Senior Web DeveloperNSW