Subtle hands-free calling.
- Compact, lightweight, easy to use, reasonable quality
- No ear hook included, background noise an issue
The WEP300 is basic in terms of features and kind to your wallet. This is a solid and largely unremarkable Bluetooth headset that does what it’s supposed to with minimal fuss.
Price$ 79.00 (AUD)
Possessing subtle looks and a compact and lightweight design, Samsung’s WEP300 is another in the long line of inexpensive Bluetooth headsets. Although it doesn’t do anything amazing, it remains a reasonable performer and is ideal for consumers on a budget.
The WEP300 is fairly inconspicuous, especially compared with many previous models which were much larger and chunky. The gloss black finish on the front provides a stylish aesthetic without attracting too much attention, while the rest of the unit is finished in matte black plastic. Despite its small size the WEP300 feels reasonably well built.
Unfortunately, Samsung hasn’t included any ear hooks with this unit. We didn’t have too much trouble finding a comfortable fit despite this, but they do provide a bit of extra stability, so the absence of one was surprising. Nonetheless, comfort is excellent and we had no problems with using it for long periods.
Like most Bluetooth headsets, using the WEP300 is fairly simple. A multifunction button and volume up/down are the extent of its controls, with the former performing various functions depending on how long it is depressed for. For example, pressing the multifunction button answers an incoming call, while pressing and holding it makes a voice activated call (if your mobile phone supports voice dialling) or rejects an incoming call.
The WEP300 is a solid but unremarkable performer. Incoming audio is passable and volume is solid, though it can be difficult to hear if you are in a noisy environment — traffic noise on busy city streets doesn’t do the WEP300 any favours. Outgoing audio once again isn’t particularly noteworthy, but does the job nonetheless. During testing our callers did complain of consistent wind noise when we were outside; background noise does tend to get picked up and can impact on a conversation.
A tiny status light on the side of the headset denotes various modes, including standby, active, pairing and low battery. Other features supported by the WEP300 include the ability to redial the last number called, transfer a call from the headset to the phone and vice versa, place a call on hold, activate voice dialling and mute the microphone.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Evapolar USB air conditioner review
- 2 LED Lenser P7R Professional Torch review
- 3 Aftershokz Wireless Trekz Titanium Bone Conduction Bluetooth Headphones review
- 4 Review: Periscope users rejoice with Feiyu’s G4 Plus 3-Axis Gimbal for Smartphone video
- 5 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
Latest News Articles
- iOS 10 slower off the uptake mark
- Hands-on: Google Assistant's Allo chatbot outdoes Cortana, Siri as your digital pal
- HTC announces the Desire 10 Pro and Desire 10 Lifestyle smartphones
- Report: Samsung's overzealous efforts to beat Apple lead to battery woes
- The iPhone 7's sleeper hit feature is its display
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTJava DeveloperNSW
- FTEMC Storage ConsultantWA
- CCPMO AnalystNSW
- CCIT Security ArchitectACT
- CCFull Stack Application Developer - IoT projectsVIC
- CCProgram Manager - Data InsightVIC
- CCiOS DeveloperNSW
- FTNetwork and Security Design EngineerNSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (IT Security) 160928/JP/653Asia
- CCNetwork and Security EngineerNSW
- CCInfrastructure Project Manager - DCR ProjectNSW
- CCTechnical Architect/DesignerACT
- FTSenior Project Manager | TelecommunicationVIC
- CCBusiness Analyst - Telecom ProjectNSW
- CCSenior Change ManagerVIC
- CCContract Junior Programmer (J2EE/SQL) 160927/JP/551Asia
- CCNetwork Design Specialist - TelecommunicationsNSW
- CCLAN ConsultantWA
- CCBusiness Analyst with change management experienceACT
- FTBusiness Development Manager | ICT intelligent systems integrationVIC
- FTSenior PHP DeveloperNSW
- CCTest Manager (HP Quality Centre / Kronos)NSW
- FTPositive Vetted ICT positions - Defence intelligence and information securityACT
- FTTest SpecialistSA
- FTOutbound TelesalesVIC