- Great CD burning and ripping, fast and reliable DVD writing
- Discs often won't play on older players
Strong CD writing, reading and ripping performance make this drive an ideal choice if you are after a replacement CD burner.
Price$ 129.00 (AUD)
Samsung's burner is not only a reliable DVD drive, it is also a top-notch CD burner and CD ripper. If you have a large CD collection that you want to get onto your hard drive, then this drive will ensure that you spend as little time as possible waiting for your tracks to drop into your music library. Our 77 minute test CD finished ripping in only 4 minutes and 23 seconds.
The fast DVD write rates for this drive also ensure that you won't be waiting too long for your data backups and movies to burn, with 8X DVD-R discs completing our test in just over seven-and-a-half minutes, and double layer discs taking only 23 minutes and 55 seconds. Its double layer burn capability is listed as 5X on the side of the box.
It's not all good news for this drive. Our burnt DVD+R DL disc was not recognised by our older Pioneer 106D DVD burner. On the other hand, our Zensonic Z330 media player had no trouble reading it.
DVD+R writing was slightly sluggish, taking 6 minutes and 9 seconds to burn our test disc, even though Nero CD/DVDSpeed reported an average data transfer rate of 12.08X using the CAV writing method.
One of the fastest rated drives on the market, the Samsung has many features aimed at improving the reliability of its burns, such as lens tilting and tighter power controls for the laser, which are especially useful when burning at the outer edges of a disc. Special power management technology is also used to keep heat and noise levels low, even when it is working at high speeds. We found the noise emissions to be reasonable during testing.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Toshiba to cut 6800 jobs, focus on storage and energy
- Consumer SSDs and hard drive prices are nearing parity
- Lexar launches new USB JumpDrives
- Seagate breaks through the 1TB-per-platter barrier for laptop drives
- U2 tours with all-flash array to rock latest video effects
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCOracle CC&B Technical AnalystVIC
- CCCisco Network EngineerNSW
- CCJava DeveloperVIC
- CCProgrammer/Analyst Programmer (JAVA/Moblie) 160115/AP/P/vhaAsia
- FTSenior Front End Developer Required Working World Leading Digital TeamVIC
- FTTechnical Support EngineerNSW
- FTAxway API DeveloperNSW
- CCPython Web Developer - DevOPS EnvironmentVIC
- FTNetwork Systems LeadVIC
- CCData Stage DeveloperNSW
- CCService EngineerVIC
- CCJava Development EngineerNSW
- CCLync/Skype EngineerNSW
- CCTest AnalystACT
- CCRisk AnalystVIC
- FTTechnical Lead (Java)NSW
- FTBusiness Analyst / Scrum MasterNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (Java/Visual VB.net) 160115/AP/vhsAsia
- FTBusiness Analyst (SCADA / CSI)VIC
- FTFront End Developer Required Working World Leading Digital TeamNSW
- CCEnterprise Architect - Network & InfrastructureNSW
- FTInfrastructure Project Manager - NV1 clearance mandatoryNSW
- FTSoftware Developer - Ruby on RailsNSW
- FTSenior Systems/SAN EngineerNSW
- CCICT Infrastructure Specialist - (Network Engineer)ACT