- Great CD burning and ripping, fast and reliable DVD writing
- Discs often won't play on older players
Strong CD writing, reading and ripping performance make this drive an ideal choice if you are after a replacement CD burner.
Price$ 129.00 (AUD)
Samsung's burner is not only a reliable DVD drive, it is also a top-notch CD burner and CD ripper. If you have a large CD collection that you want to get onto your hard drive, then this drive will ensure that you spend as little time as possible waiting for your tracks to drop into your music library. Our 77 minute test CD finished ripping in only 4 minutes and 23 seconds.
The fast DVD write rates for this drive also ensure that you won't be waiting too long for your data backups and movies to burn, with 8X DVD-R discs completing our test in just over seven-and-a-half minutes, and double layer discs taking only 23 minutes and 55 seconds. Its double layer burn capability is listed as 5X on the side of the box.
It's not all good news for this drive. Our burnt DVD+R DL disc was not recognised by our older Pioneer 106D DVD burner. On the other hand, our Zensonic Z330 media player had no trouble reading it.
DVD+R writing was slightly sluggish, taking 6 minutes and 9 seconds to burn our test disc, even though Nero CD/DVDSpeed reported an average data transfer rate of 12.08X using the CAV writing method.
One of the fastest rated drives on the market, the Samsung has many features aimed at improving the reliability of its burns, such as lens tilting and tighter power controls for the laser, which are especially useful when burning at the outer edges of a disc. Special power management technology is also used to keep heat and noise levels low, even when it is working at high speeds. We found the noise emissions to be reasonable during testing.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Evapolar USB air conditioner review
- 2 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 3 LED Lenser P7R Professional Torch review
- 4 Aftershokz Wireless Trekz Titanium Bone Conduction Bluetooth Headphones review
- 5 Review: Periscope users rejoice with Feiyu’s G4 Plus 3-Axis Gimbal for Smartphone video
Latest News Articles
- Samsung releases the world’s fastest gumstick SSD
- Samsung's 960 Pro and 960 Evo SSDs marry crazy-fast speeds with roomy capacity
- Boom: SanDisk just dropped the world's largest SD card
- IBM targets x86 server territory with new Power servers
- Toshiba's new SSD line features rock-bottom pricing
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCSenior Project ManagerACT
- FTLinux Systems AdministratorNZ
- FTBusiness Development Manager | ICT intelligent systems integrationVIC
- FTOutbound TelesalesVIC
- CCProgram Manager - Data InsightVIC
- FTCertification and Accreditation Security ConsultantACT
- CCBusiness ArchitectNSW
- CCSecurity Cleared IT Professionals - Expression of InterestSA
- FTPositive Vetted ICT positions - Defence intelligence and information securityACT
- FTOutbound TelesalesVIC
- FTTeam Leader Full Stack, Python, FinanceNSW
- CCFull Stack Application Developer - IoT projectsVIC
- CCSoftware TesterACT
- FTInfrastructure Solutions ArchitectACT
- CCSenior Business Analyst -Change and SAP ProcurementNSW
- CCNetwork and Security EngineerNSW
- FTTest Manager (HP Quality Centre / ARIBA)NSW
- FTCustomer Solutions Engineer | Voice | Data | TelcoNSW
- CCDigital Solutions ManagerNSW
- CCBI Reporting AnalystACT
- CCInfrastructure Project Manager - DCR ProjectNSW
- FTCarrier/ Industrial Network ConsultantsWA
- CCVideo Conference Support Officer- VoIP, LAN, WAN, RemedyNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst with change management experienceACT
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW