Samsung SyncMaster 770P
- Contrast Ratio, Adaptability and design, Sharp image quality
- Expensive, Can't match colour performance of other models
It's pretty pricey, but we'd be prepared to pay for such superb contrast ratio, excellent design and sharp image quality. A top choice.
Price$ 899.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
- FMS 3648 770KV Motor For P-40B KI-61 P-51 F2G P-39 40.11
You might think a price tag of $899 was a bit high for a 17in TFT display - about $100 too high. However, we reckon it justifies this extra cost. For starters, look at the specifications. A contrast ratio of 1,500:1 isn't just impressive, it's staggering. The Samsung's 6ms response time isn't a record-breaker but it's certainly very fast indeed, and a viewing angle of 178 degrees on both the horizontal and vertical planes is as good as anything else on offer.
Good specifications are all very well, but what really matters is the performance. And although it does do a generally sterling job, we thought the 770P lacked a certain something. It can't match the colour palette of other 17 inch screens we've seen, but it certainly offers excellent definition.
The real beauty of the Samsung, though, is its adaptability. The stand allows it to sit almost flat on its base, or it can be raised to tower above everything else on the desk. Either way, you won't have a problem getting the SyncMaster to a comfortable height. What's more, the screen can be rotated through 90 degrees so you can use it in portrait mode - handy when working on Word documents, among other things. Samsung's proprietary Magic Rotation software means the image is automatically rotated when you pivot the screen.
The screen also swivels on the base, so it can be moved to show someone else what the user is looking at without physically picking the whole thing up. The design of the Samsung isn't just functional, though; it's really quite attractive. There's a choice of four colours - white, blue, red and black - so you can pick one to suit the rest of your system or the room that it's going to live in.
Image quality is sharp, although the colour depth isn't the best. But what we really liked about the SyncMaster 770P is the fact that it can be adjusted to suit the user in a variety of ways - it can be tilted, raised, lowered and rotated into landscape and portrait modes. Perhaps it is a touch on the pricey side, though.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 2 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Foxconn to pay over $US6bn for a majority stake in Sharp
- CES 2016: Top 10 trends
- Kogan forced to pay $32,400 penalty by ACCC
- LG's ultra-thin touchscreen panels will enable lighter, thinner notebooks
- Curved displays from TVs see uptake in PCs, monitors
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTDigital Sales Manager - Online MediaNSW
- FTFront End DeveloperSA
- CCSales Development Executive - Flexible Working HoursNSW
- FTBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCIT Solution Architect - ApplicationsNSW
- CCWebOps EngineerVIC
- FTGentrack ConsultantVIC
- CCRemedy AdministratorNSW
- FTService Coordinator/Scheduler | IT Managed Service ProviderVIC
- CCChange ManagerNSW
- FTProduct OwnerNSW
- FTPMO AnalystNSW
- CCProject Specialist - Contact Center and Unified CommunicationsVIC
- CCFull Stack Developer - Java - Blue Chip CompanyNSW
- FTVendor Manager / Team Lead - ITIL / ITSMVIC
- CCFull Stack Developers - JavaNSW
- CCSr. Net DeveloperVIC
- FTMultiple opportunities for Front and Back end Web DevelopersVIC
- CCBusiness Systems Analyst - eCommerce PaymentsVIC
- CCTest Execution ManagerVIC
- CCAnalyst Programmer (Lotus Notes/Networking) 160504/AP/781Asia
- CCAnalyst Programmer (JAVA/Windows Programming) 160428/AP/143Asia
- FTSenior Technical ConsultantVIC
- FTLevel 2 IT Field Systems Engineer/Administrator - Multiple opportunitiesNSW
- CCAzure DeveloperNSW