Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM LCD monitor
This 26in LCD monitor has an HDMI input and a 5ms response time, so it's a great choice for gamers.
- Design, HDMI, 5ms response time, minimal trailing and ghosting during gaming, excellent colour and contrast
- Touch-sensitive buttons lack a backlight, speakers are mediocre, vertical viewing angles could be improved
With HDMI, excellent colour and contrast and a nice design, the SyncMaster 2693 is a great all-round performer. Highly recommended.
Price$ 899.00 (AUD)
A Full HD monitor featuring HDMI and boasting an attractive frame, Samsung's SyncMaster 2693HM combines excellent image quality with great looks. A 5ms response time and impressive colours make this suited for a wide range of uses, including gaming.
The 2693HM looks stunning. It features a gloss black bezel, with a chrome strip running along the bottom of the frame and a round base. The glossy surface does attract fingerprints, but a quick wipe keeps it reasonably clean. The flexibility of this monitor is excellent — the 2693HM can be raised, tilted, swivelled and rotated 360 degrees.
The touch-sensitive controls are a nice inclusion. We'd normally complain about the complete lack of tactility, but they are generally easy to use and add a touch of class to this monitor. You can adjust colour tone, contrast, brightness and position using these buttons. Unfortunately, one design oversight is the fact that you can't see them at night: there is no backlight on the keys.
The 2693HM has a maximum resolution of 1920x1200 and HDMI connectivity, so it's ideal for use with high-definition gaming consoles and Blu-ray players. At 26in, this is a large monitor and we'd highly recommend it for gaming. Of course, standard DVI and D-Sub ports for regular PC use are also available. The unit also includes two speakers, but like most monitors, they lack any sort of clarity at higher volume levels and aren't recommended for any serious use.
As previously mentioned, gamers should definitely be pleased with the 2693HM, largely thanks to a 5ms response time. During game testing we experienced minimal trailing and no noticeable ghosting issues, while testing motion revealed only minimal lag — certainly not enough to detract from the overall gaming experience. It is also well suited to watching movies; both Blu-ray and regular DVDs worked well.
Both colour and contrast are excellent. Colours are bright and clear, with accurate saturation levels and fine details. Contrast is similarly excellent, with a 3000:1 dynamic contrast ratio providing a great level of distinction at both the dark and light ends of the spectrum. We also really liked that the screen isn't glossy — under florescent office lighting, a glossy screen can cause annoying reflections. The 2693HM has a matte finish, meaning it is ideal for use in an office environment. Adding to this is clean text, with no visible aberrations when using it as a regular office monitor.
The 2693HM's vertical viewing angles are the only real downside to this monitor. They aren’t as good as we'd have hoped, though if you position the screen properly this shouldn't be too much of an issue. Horizontal viewing angles are excellent though, with no noticeable colour shift.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
Latest News Articles
- Dell's luscious new 4K monitor is bold, bright, and HDR-infused
- Samsung's 49-inch mega-wide display may displace multi-monitor setups
- More high-end GPUs are now compatible with Dell's 8K monitor
- Dell's wild 8K monitor goes on sale with a just-as-stunning price tag
- LG's 4K HDR monitor gets a price and release date, heralding a new era for PC displays
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTBI Report DeveloperQLD
- CCSenior Full Stack Web DeveloperACT
- CCUser ResearchNSW
- CCWindows Server EngineerNSW
- CCProject AdministratorNSW
- FTFront End Web DeveloperACT
- CCSCCM EngineerNSW
- TPBusiness AnalystVIC
- TPSolution ArchitectQLD
- CCOIM-IAM Environment ManagerVIC
- TPSOE EngineerACT
- FTData Analyst (Query Scripting and Reporting)NSW
- FTSenior Front End DeveloperNSW
- FTHTML DeveloperNSW
- FTSolution Architect - SecurityVIC
- CCEnd User Services ArchitectNSW
- FTHealthcare Application Integration SupportQLD
- FTSenior Capacity Planner | Contract through till DecemberVIC
- FTCRM Technical Specialist (Oracle Eloqua)SA
- TPOrganisational Change ManagerQLD
- FTSenior Data Warehouse ConsultantNSW
- TPPMO Lead - Large Government Dept - 12 Month ContractQLD
- TPAV Design SpecialistNSW
- FTNetwork EngineerACT