Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM LCD monitor
This 26in LCD monitor has an HDMI input and a 5ms response time, so it's a great choice for gamers.
- Design, HDMI, 5ms response time, minimal trailing and ghosting during gaming, excellent colour and contrast
- Touch-sensitive buttons lack a backlight, speakers are mediocre, vertical viewing angles could be improved
With HDMI, excellent colour and contrast and a nice design, the SyncMaster 2693 is a great all-round performer. Highly recommended.
Price$ 899.00 (AUD)
A Full HD monitor featuring HDMI and boasting an attractive frame, Samsung's SyncMaster 2693HM combines excellent image quality with great looks. A 5ms response time and impressive colours make this suited for a wide range of uses, including gaming.
The 2693HM looks stunning. It features a gloss black bezel, with a chrome strip running along the bottom of the frame and a round base. The glossy surface does attract fingerprints, but a quick wipe keeps it reasonably clean. The flexibility of this monitor is excellent — the 2693HM can be raised, tilted, swivelled and rotated 360 degrees.
The touch-sensitive controls are a nice inclusion. We'd normally complain about the complete lack of tactility, but they are generally easy to use and add a touch of class to this monitor. You can adjust colour tone, contrast, brightness and position using these buttons. Unfortunately, one design oversight is the fact that you can't see them at night: there is no backlight on the keys.
The 2693HM has a maximum resolution of 1920x1200 and HDMI connectivity, so it's ideal for use with high-definition gaming consoles and Blu-ray players. At 26in, this is a large monitor and we'd highly recommend it for gaming. Of course, standard DVI and D-Sub ports for regular PC use are also available. The unit also includes two speakers, but like most monitors, they lack any sort of clarity at higher volume levels and aren't recommended for any serious use.
As previously mentioned, gamers should definitely be pleased with the 2693HM, largely thanks to a 5ms response time. During game testing we experienced minimal trailing and no noticeable ghosting issues, while testing motion revealed only minimal lag — certainly not enough to detract from the overall gaming experience. It is also well suited to watching movies; both Blu-ray and regular DVDs worked well.
Both colour and contrast are excellent. Colours are bright and clear, with accurate saturation levels and fine details. Contrast is similarly excellent, with a 3000:1 dynamic contrast ratio providing a great level of distinction at both the dark and light ends of the spectrum. We also really liked that the screen isn't glossy — under florescent office lighting, a glossy screen can cause annoying reflections. The 2693HM has a matte finish, meaning it is ideal for use in an office environment. Adding to this is clean text, with no visible aberrations when using it as a regular office monitor.
The 2693HM's vertical viewing angles are the only real downside to this monitor. They aren’t as good as we'd have hoped, though if you position the screen properly this shouldn't be too much of an issue. Horizontal viewing angles are excellent though, with no noticeable colour shift.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Huawei Mate 9
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Google Daydream VR headset
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Acer Swift 7
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Lexar® Portable SSD
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Dell XPS 13 laptop
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Surface Pro 4
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Dell's monstrous 70-inch touchscreen monitor takes aim at Microsoft's Surface Hub
- Dell's 4-screen multimonitor setup looks like one enormous 43-inch display
- Foxconn to pay over $US6bn for a majority stake in Sharp
- CES 2016: Top 10 trends
- Kogan forced to pay $32,400 penalty by ACCC
GGG Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSalesforce Technical Consultant/Architect Global IT Company - SydneyNSW
- CCProject Manager - Adelaide basedNSW
- CCSolution Architect - Financial applicationsVIC
- CCSenior Mobile Application DeveloperNSW
- CCProject Support SpecialistVIC
- FTSenior Java EngineerACT
- CCTest Automation EngineerVIC
- FTMonitoring Tools Support l NimSoft , SMARTS, ehealth, TivoliNSW
- CCSystems Engineer (Systems Architect/Designer)VIC
- TPOrganisational Change ManagerQLD
- CCUI UX AnalystWA
- CCTest ManagerWA
- CCBusiness AnalystSA
- TPProject Coordinator/Junior Project ManagerVIC
- CCMDM Consultant/DesignerVIC
- CCTest AnalystQLD
- FTBI Developer l Microstrategy , HadoopNSW
- CCDeployment EngineerSA
- CCSQL Database Administrator (DBA)NSW
- CCDigital Communications ManagerNSW
- FTSalesforce Technical Business Analyst (Brisbane based)Other
- CCDevops EngineerNSW
- FTJava Developer/IntegratorACT
- TPInsights ManagerWA
- CCUser Experience Designer - Part time - Short contractACT