Samsung SyncMaster 242MP
- Stellar PC LCD monitor
- Artefacts when viewing TV or DVD
A television tuner doesn't turn this otherwise gorgeous monitor into a good TV.
Price$ 4,499.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 3 stores)
Samsung touts the SyncMaster 242mp's included TV tuner as the model's major draw. But this 24" wide-screen LCD monitor deserves a closer look instead for its stellar still-image quality.
I tested a shipping version of this monitor and found that for office tasks, its bright screen ranks among the best large wide-screen LCDs I've seen; the unit deftly showed sharp text, dramatic contrast and rich colours.
Unfortunately, like other LCD monitors, the 242mp is not as adept at switching gears between work and play. Whenever I played a DVD--either via the DVI signal from a PC or through a component signal from a high-quality DVD player--I had to fuss with multiple controls to reduce the picture's graininess, including changing the colour settings and switching to a movie mode using the small but functional remote control.
Alas, even after my adjustments, ghosting, image artefacts, and a dark picture still plagued this screen during both DVD and TV playback. Its 16-millisecond black-to-white response time couldn't keep up with the swordplay action in The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, either.
Offering S-Video, composite, and component inputs as well as DVI and analog PC inputs, the 242mp hooks up to many external devices and PCs. Its TV tuner connects easily to your cable via an included adapter. Its speakers pack a decent punch.
For considerably less, you could buy the similar-size Dell UltraSharp 2405FPW (which lacks speakers and a TV tuner). You could then add speakers and a TV-tuner card to your PC and even get TiVo-like functions--all for less than you'd pay for the 242mp. You'll have to decide whether the Samsung's all-in-one convenience is worth the cash.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- CES 2016: Top 10 trends
- Kogan forced to pay $32,400 penalty by ACCC
- LG's ultra-thin touchscreen panels will enable lighter, thinner notebooks
- Curved displays from TVs see uptake in PCs, monitors
- Samsung's UHD Monitor covers 99.5 per cent of Adobe colour spectrum
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTSolution ArchitectNSW
- CCRisk AnalystVIC
- FTSecurity ArchitectWA
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- CCSAP Basis Admin with JavaACT
- CCMultiple Middleware DevelopersACT
- CCProject Scheduler / Project Manager - IT InfrastructureNSW
- FTSOE EngineerQLD
- FTJunior Project Manager | Permanent role in Canberra | NV1/2 clearedACT
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (Crystal Reports) 160129/AP/vhs-aAsia
- CCSenior Project Manager - ComplianceVIC
- FTFraud AnalystVIC
- FTNetwork Systems LeadVIC
- FTSenior .NET DeveloperVIC
- CCInformation Security ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Front End Developer Required Working World Leading Digital TeamVIC
- CCSenior Business AnalystWA
- CCSenior Business Analyst - BaselineACT
- CCObjective ECMS Technical ConsultantSA
- FTManager, Portfolio GovernanceNSW
- FTJava DeveloperNSW
- CCProject ManagerACT
- CCProgram Master SchedulerNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer 160120/AP/vvtAsia