Samsung SyncMaster 2333HD LCD monitor
Samsung's latest SyncMaster LCD monitor includes a built-in digital TV tuner
- Built-in TV tuner with EPG, stylish design, dual HDMI ports, accurate colour and rich blacks, preview feature
- Glossy bezel reflects light, awkward controls, strange ball connection, slight motion lag when watching TV, viewing angles aren’t great
The Samsung SyncMaster 2333HD is a competent if not outstanding LCD monitor, and the included TV tuner may push it over the line for many potential buyers.
Price$ 699.00 (AUD)
The Samsung SyncMaster 2333HD is a 23in, Full HD (1920x1080) monitor boasting HDMI input and a 16:9 aspect ratio. It also comes with a built-in TV tuner, so it's ideal for use in a bedroom or as an inexpensive secondary television.
The Samsung SyncMaster 2333HD is very similar to the SyncMaster 2333SW — it uses the same panel and has an almost identical design. A glossy black bezel with a clear extruded plastic edge running along its base gives it a distinctive look, and the bright blue light beneath the Samsung logo is a nice touch.
Though the SyncMaster 2333HD LCD monitor definitely looks good, light reflects off the glossy surface of the bezel, so glare is an issue. The controls on the right side of the monitor have hard to read labels and the buttons require a firm press.
The monitor's stand is difficult to connect and has an awkward ball hinge connection. This hinge doesn't click into place like with most other LCD monitors; it's wedged into place instead. Although it holds the monitor sturdily once connected, the stand doesn't allow the monitor to swivel or rise, and the scope to tilt it is limited.
The rear of the Samsung SyncMaster 2333HD monitor has a stylish, etched flower design. The monitor includes all the ports you'll need for both PC and television use. In addition to two HDMI ports (one behind a flip out panel on the left side of the monitor) and single DVI and D-Sub ports, there are a headphone jack, optical audio out port, audio in port, a component in connection and an antenna port for the built-in tuner.
The Samsung SyncMaster 2333HD has a 5ms refresh rate, making it one of the faster 23in screens on the market. HDMI makes it ideal for high-definition gaming use, and it performed well when hooked up to our PlayStation 3. During games, we didn't notice any trailing or ghosting issues, but did experience slight motion lag when using the TV tuner.
The SyncMaster 2333HD produces accurate colour and rich blacks, though we did note slight backlight bleeding while watching a Blu-ray movie. We were also unimpressed with the viewing angles ⏼ noticeable colour shift is evident when viewing the screen from off-centre, especially vertically. This is an issue with most TN LCD panels though, and not unique to the SyncMaster 2333HD. Both light and dark areas showed plenty of distinction in our DisplayMate tests and the overall image is crisp and sharp.
The built-in HD digital TV tuner works well and Samsung includes a remote control in the sales package. Sound is average with a distinct lack of bass the main issue, though the volume doesn't distort even at its highest setting. There is an on-board EPG (electronic program guide) and a five-channel sound equaliser. The preview feature is a nice touch — it lets you to continue to watch the current viewed program while browsing the EPG. Changing channels is a little slow. Though we wouldn't recommend it as your primary television, the Samsung SyncMaster 2333HD's built in TV tuner is ideal for a bedroom TV or a secondary television outside the living room.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Lexar® Portable SSD
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Acer Swift 7
Huawei Mate 9
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Google Daydream VR headset
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Surface Pro 4
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Dell XPS 13 laptop
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Samsung's UHD Monitor covers 99.5 per cent of Adobe colour spectrum
- HP settles cases with inkjet cartridge vendors
- Study predicts PS3 will win the console war
- Samsung wave makes a splash at Mobile World Congress
- Sony finally back in the black (but not thanks to PlayStation)
GGG Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSalesforce Technical Consultant/Architect Global IT Company - SydneyNSW
- CCProject Manager - Adelaide basedNSW
- CCSolution Architect - Financial applicationsVIC
- CCSenior Mobile Application DeveloperNSW
- CCProject Support SpecialistVIC
- FTSenior Java EngineerACT
- CCTest Automation EngineerVIC
- FTMonitoring Tools Support l NimSoft , SMARTS, ehealth, TivoliNSW
- CCSystems Engineer (Systems Architect/Designer)VIC
- TPOrganisational Change ManagerQLD
- CCUI UX AnalystWA
- CCTest ManagerWA
- CCBusiness AnalystSA
- TPProject Coordinator/Junior Project ManagerVIC
- CCMDM Consultant/DesignerVIC
- CCTest AnalystQLD
- FTBI Developer l Microstrategy , HadoopNSW
- CCDeployment EngineerSA
- CCSQL Database Administrator (DBA)NSW
- CCDigital Communications ManagerNSW
- FTSalesforce Technical Business Analyst (Brisbane based)Other
- CCDevops EngineerNSW
- FTJava Developer/IntegratorACT
- TPInsights ManagerWA
- CCUser Experience Designer - Part time - Short contractACT