Samsung SyncMaster 226BW
- Excellent image quality, accurate colour reproduction, flawless performance, attractive design
- Connection options
The Samsung SyncMaster 226BW is made for gamers. With excellent image quality and an incredibly fast speed, it will definitely win hearts.
Price$ 599.00 (AUD)
The Samsung SyncMaster 226BW is a 22in widescreen LCD monitor with a native resolution of 1680x1050. With a slick design, exceptional image quality, and a reported response time of 2ms, it is sure to become a favourite amongst gamers.
We connected the 226BW to our test PC via DVI and ran the desktop at the native 1680x1050. The clarity and detail was quite stunning. There were no problems at all with the desktop icons, and the colours where rich and accurately reproduced.
Using DisplayMate Video Edition we ran a series of extensive test patterns designed to reveal any image quality abnormalities. Throughout the entire test, the Samsung performed brilliantly with no problems whatsoever. The greyscale test was delivered with no discolouration and an excellent blend along the scale without stepping. The reported contrast ratio of 3000:1 appeared to be accurate based on these tests. The uniformity test was handled flawlessly and the back light bleed test showed no blacklight leakage.
Since this monitor has a reported response time of two milliseconds, it stands to reason that we perform some gaming tests and speed tests to check for ghosting. We ran World of Warcraft and Doom 3. Warcraft is an excellent test for colour due to the rich environments and motion in the battle action. We had no problems at all during this test. Spinning the camera around our character did not cause any ghosting or speed trails and particles/visual effects were displayed with high detail.
The enveloping darkness of Doom 3 is an excellent test for contrast and black levels and during our session we found no problems with either. There were no contrast issues to speak of and the blacks were accurate. The action in this game is much faster paced than Warcraft, but regardless, the 226BW handled it with grace.
The connection options are a little limited with only one DVI and one 15pin D-Sub. We would have liked to see two DVI ports on the 226BW, and even some component ports like the similarly priced Asus PW201.
For gamers though, this is an excellent monitor. It's fast, it has awesome colour and the piano black design will suit the need for all things fancy. It will also work brilliantly for office tasks, but the response time and the 8 bit colour processing means the 226BW is targeted squarely at the gaming crowd.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 2 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- CES 2016: Top 10 trends
- Kogan forced to pay $32,400 penalty by ACCC
- LG's ultra-thin touchscreen panels will enable lighter, thinner notebooks
- Samsung's UHD Monitor covers 99.5 per cent of Adobe colour spectrum
- LG to unveil curved ultrawide monitor at IFA
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCJava Developer - multiple opportunitiesNSW
- CCJava Developer (front end)WA
- FTSenior iOS DeveloperNSW
- CCHealthcare Test SpecialistSA
- CCJava Developer- 12 month contractNSW
- FTSystem EngineerACT
- CCBusiness AnalystACT
- FTProject Manager | Permanent role in Canberra | NV1/2 clearedACT
- CCAWS ArchitectNSW
- CCProcurement Contract SpecialistQLD
- CCTechnical WriterACT
- CCContract IT Assistant (Network & System Mgt.) 160509/ITA/281Asia
- FTData AnalystNSW
- CCSql Server Database Administrator (SAP)QLD
- CCAzure DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior ICT Project OfficerACT
- FTJunior Inside Sales Rep | National systems integrator & MSP | $60-70K+NSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - master data managementACT
- FTAGILE Training Manager/CoachNSW
- CCTest Analyst - Contact Centre TechnologiesVIC
- CCBusiness AnalystACT
- CCMS Biz Talk ConsultantNSW
- CCSolution ArchitectVIC
- CCSales Development Executive - Flexible Working HoursNSW
- CCIntegration Delivery Project ManagerNSW