Samsung SyncMaster 226BW
- Excellent image quality, accurate colour reproduction, flawless performance, attractive design
- Connection options
The Samsung SyncMaster 226BW is made for gamers. With excellent image quality and an incredibly fast speed, it will definitely win hearts.
Price$ 599.00 (AUD)
The Samsung SyncMaster 226BW is a 22in widescreen LCD monitor with a native resolution of 1680x1050. With a slick design, exceptional image quality, and a reported response time of 2ms, it is sure to become a favourite amongst gamers.
We connected the 226BW to our test PC via DVI and ran the desktop at the native 1680x1050. The clarity and detail was quite stunning. There were no problems at all with the desktop icons, and the colours where rich and accurately reproduced.
Using DisplayMate Video Edition we ran a series of extensive test patterns designed to reveal any image quality abnormalities. Throughout the entire test, the Samsung performed brilliantly with no problems whatsoever. The greyscale test was delivered with no discolouration and an excellent blend along the scale without stepping. The reported contrast ratio of 3000:1 appeared to be accurate based on these tests. The uniformity test was handled flawlessly and the back light bleed test showed no blacklight leakage.
Since this monitor has a reported response time of two milliseconds, it stands to reason that we perform some gaming tests and speed tests to check for ghosting. We ran World of Warcraft and Doom 3. Warcraft is an excellent test for colour due to the rich environments and motion in the battle action. We had no problems at all during this test. Spinning the camera around our character did not cause any ghosting or speed trails and particles/visual effects were displayed with high detail.
The enveloping darkness of Doom 3 is an excellent test for contrast and black levels and during our session we found no problems with either. There were no contrast issues to speak of and the blacks were accurate. The action in this game is much faster paced than Warcraft, but regardless, the 226BW handled it with grace.
The connection options are a little limited with only one DVI and one 15pin D-Sub. We would have liked to see two DVI ports on the 226BW, and even some component ports like the similarly priced Asus PW201.
For gamers though, this is an excellent monitor. It's fast, it has awesome colour and the piano black design will suit the need for all things fancy. It will also work brilliantly for office tasks, but the response time and the 8 bit colour processing means the 226BW is targeted squarely at the gaming crowd.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 4 Tech21 Evo Xplorer iPhone case review
- 5 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
Latest News Articles
- Dell's monstrous 70-inch touchscreen monitor takes aim at Microsoft's Surface Hub
- Dell's 4-screen multimonitor setup looks like one enormous 43-inch display
- Foxconn to pay over $US6bn for a majority stake in Sharp
- CES 2016: Top 10 trends
- Kogan forced to pay $32,400 penalty by ACCC
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCContract Senior Web Developer (PHP/Drupal/JAVA) 160808/SWD/vtdAsia
- FTSAP Ariba Consultant/ManagerVIC
- CCProject Manager - PCI DSS / IMACSQLD
- CCBusiness Analyst / SalesforceNSW
- CCIBM ODM Expert (Operation Decision Manager)ACT
- CCProgram Director, Cyber Security TransformationNSW
- CCCustomer Service RepresentativeQLD
- FTPrincipal Business Consultant- Wealth ManagementNSW
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- CCSecurity ArchitectACT
- CCSharepoint ArchitectACT
- FTOperations ManagerNSW
- FTChange Management Specialist - IT Service ManagementNSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Datacentre Maintenance) 160817/SA/993Asia
- CCSr Project Manager - BASELINEACT
- FTBack End Developer - Java, Spring, RESTNSW
- CCDesktop Support AnalystSA
- FTBid Manager - Intelligent TechnologyVIC
- CCSystems Analyst (IT Security/Network & Systems) 160826/SA/652Asia
- CCICT Security Design & Implementation - NV1ACT
- CCInfrastructure Deployment ManagerVIC
- CCStorage / Server EngineerNSW
- CCNetwork Engineer - TelecomVIC
- CCSolution Designer - Windows UpgradeNSW
- CCSenior Technology Specialist - Back-end Java/JEENSW