Samsung SyncMaster 226BW
- Excellent image quality, accurate colour reproduction, flawless performance, attractive design
- Connection options
The Samsung SyncMaster 226BW is made for gamers. With excellent image quality and an incredibly fast speed, it will definitely win hearts.
Price$ 599.00 (AUD)
The Samsung SyncMaster 226BW is a 22in widescreen LCD monitor with a native resolution of 1680x1050. With a slick design, exceptional image quality, and a reported response time of 2ms, it is sure to become a favourite amongst gamers.
We connected the 226BW to our test PC via DVI and ran the desktop at the native 1680x1050. The clarity and detail was quite stunning. There were no problems at all with the desktop icons, and the colours where rich and accurately reproduced.
Using DisplayMate Video Edition we ran a series of extensive test patterns designed to reveal any image quality abnormalities. Throughout the entire test, the Samsung performed brilliantly with no problems whatsoever. The greyscale test was delivered with no discolouration and an excellent blend along the scale without stepping. The reported contrast ratio of 3000:1 appeared to be accurate based on these tests. The uniformity test was handled flawlessly and the back light bleed test showed no blacklight leakage.
Since this monitor has a reported response time of two milliseconds, it stands to reason that we perform some gaming tests and speed tests to check for ghosting. We ran World of Warcraft and Doom 3. Warcraft is an excellent test for colour due to the rich environments and motion in the battle action. We had no problems at all during this test. Spinning the camera around our character did not cause any ghosting or speed trails and particles/visual effects were displayed with high detail.
The enveloping darkness of Doom 3 is an excellent test for contrast and black levels and during our session we found no problems with either. There were no contrast issues to speak of and the blacks were accurate. The action in this game is much faster paced than Warcraft, but regardless, the 226BW handled it with grace.
The connection options are a little limited with only one DVI and one 15pin D-Sub. We would have liked to see two DVI ports on the 226BW, and even some component ports like the similarly priced Asus PW201.
For gamers though, this is an excellent monitor. It's fast, it has awesome colour and the piano black design will suit the need for all things fancy. It will also work brilliantly for office tasks, but the response time and the 8 bit colour processing means the 226BW is targeted squarely at the gaming crowd.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Huawei Mate 9
Acer Swift 7
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Lexar® Portable SSD
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Google Daydream VR headset
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Surface Pro 4
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Dell's monstrous 70-inch touchscreen monitor takes aim at Microsoft's Surface Hub
- Dell's 4-screen multimonitor setup looks like one enormous 43-inch display
- Foxconn to pay over $US6bn for a majority stake in Sharp
- CES 2016: Top 10 trends
- Kogan forced to pay $32,400 penalty by ACCC
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTTechnical Team Leader | ArchitectQLD
- FTSenior Web DeveloperNSW
- FTDevOps/Senior Sys Admin - eCommerce - Permanent - Sydney Northern BeachesNSW
- FTMid-Level Software Engineer x 2 - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)NSW
- FTSecurity Engineer - Permanent - IT Services - SydneyNSW
- CCTest AnalystWA
- FTWeb Developer / Applications AnalystQLD
- TPBusiness Process Analyst (Newcaslte Based)NSW
- TPSenior Business AnalystVIC
- CCSAP/ Nakisa Implementation ConsultantQLD
- TPMicrosoft Analyst ProgrammerSA
- TPGIS Developer - 6 month ContractQLD
- TPSenior Analyst Programmer - ContractQLD
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- CCADABAS Natural DeveloperNSW
- CCBPM DeveloperVIC
- CCSolution Architect - Financial applicationsVIC
- CCTest AnalystQLD
- CCNetwork Engineer (cisco)NSW
- FTSolution Architect l MS Exchange, O365NSW
- FTSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Network AdministratorNSW
- FTSAP BOBJ ConsultantACT
- FTInfrastructure Solution ArchitectSA
- FT.Net Azure DeveloperSA