Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX LCD monitor
Reasonable performance, a height adjustable stand and a straightforward yet effective design make this 22-inch Samsung LCD monitor ideal for any office
- Height adjustable stand, build quality, good performance
- No HDMI input, no DVI cable included, touch-sensitive buttons aren't backlit
Samsung's SyncMaster 2243BWX monitor doesn’t really offer anything to get excited about, but it's good value at this price. The lack of an HDMI input is a sour point, but for office use this is a good choice.
Price$ 449.00 (AUD)
With a resolution of 1680x1050, a 5ms response time and 1000:1 contrast ratio, the specifications sheet of Samsung's SyncMaster 2243BWX LCD monitor doesn't make for terribly exciting reading. However, reasonable performance, a height adjustable stand and a straightforward yet effective design make this 22in monitor ideal for any office.
Samsung follows a similar design trend for most of the SyncMaster monitor range. Minimalist would be the best way to describe the SyncMaster 2243BWX — aside from the glossy black bezel and stand, the 2243BWX has a straightforward design. We aren't in favour of glossy bezels on LCD monitors because light tends to reflects off the surface, but thankfully the screen itself isn't glossy. Using it in an office with fluorescent lighting therefore poses no problems.
Samsung has used touch-sensitive controls on the SyncMaster 2243BWX LCD monitor. They are responsive enough but the labels aren’t backlit, so pressing these keys at night or in dim lighting is almost impossible. We did like the 2243BWX's stand; in addition to being height adjustable it pivots, swivels and tilts and feels firm and well-built.
The Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX has a native resolution of 1680x1050 and a 16:9 aspect ratio, making it useful for watching widescreen video content. Unfortunately there is no HDMI input, though the monitor has DVI and D-Sub VGA ports. Samsung doesn't include a DVI cable in the sales package.
A 5ms refresh rate means the Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX can display fast motion without ghosting. Contrast and colour reproduction are above average. The dynamic contrast ratio is 8000:1, though the typical contrast ratio is 1000:1. Black levels are quite rich, detail is good and the overall image was sharp. Importantly our DisplayMate tests revealed no real issues with image quality.
Samsung has included MagicColor and MagicBright settings on the SyncMaster 2243BWX. MagicColor increases the brightness and is ideal for viewing images, while MagicBright is a set of pre-programmed colour modes including sport, movie, dynamic contrast, text, Internet and game. We found Internet mode to be the ideal setting for our office, but you'll probably need to bump down the brightness a few notches as it can wash out the colour.
Viewing angles could use some improvement — there is notable colour shift when altering the vertical viewing angle. Thankfully, horizontal viewing angles fare slightly better.
Follow PC World Australia on Twitter: @PCWorldAu
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
Latest News Articles
- Dell's luscious new 4K monitor is bold, bright, and HDR-infused
- Samsung's 49-inch mega-wide display may displace multi-monitor setups
- More high-end GPUs are now compatible with Dell's 8K monitor
- Dell's wild 8K monitor goes on sale with a just-as-stunning price tag
- LG's 4K HDR monitor gets a price and release date, heralding a new era for PC displays
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCSenior Domain ArchitectVIC
- CCNetwork Design SpecialistNSW
- TPBusiness AnalystVIC
- FTHealthcare Application Integration SupportQLD
- TPOffice 365 Deployment SupportQLD
- CCAutomation DeveloperNSW
- FTPHP / WordPress DeveloperQLD
- FTBusiness AnalystVIC
- TPProgram Manager - 12 month contractQLD
- CCCRM Techno FunctionalistQLD
- FTProject AnalystNSW
- FTProduct Manager (IT Clinical Systems) - Permanent - Syd, Melb or BrisbNSW
- FTSolution Architect - SecurityVIC
- CCIT SAS Visual Analytics DeveloperVIC
- CCSenior IT Project ManagerNSW
- CCVDI EngineerACT
- FTProject Manager - Knowledge Management implementationVIC
- FTSenior Process Specialist | ProcurementVIC
- FTProgram L&D Manager, Financial ServicesNSW
- CCIntegration ArchitectACT
- FT.Net DeveloperNSW
- TPSenior Project Officer HSQQLD
- CCDevops Consultant - 12 month contractVIC
- FTMid-Level .NET DeveloperVIC
- FTBI Report DeveloperQLD