Samsung SyncMaster 2033SW LCD monitor
A 20in Samsung LCD monitor with dynamic contrast and a fast response time
- 16:9 ratio, good image quality, stylish design, excellent colour and contrast, non-glossy screen, no ghosting
- No HDMI, unsteady stand
The Samsung SyncMaster 2033SW is a 16:9 LCD monitor with a high resolution for its screen size. It is well designed for watching widescreen HD movie content, but it doesn’t have the connection options to make it a great all-rounder.
Price$ 399.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 2 stores)
The Samsung SyncMaster 2033SW is a 20in LCD monitor with a 1600x900 resolution that's useful if you want to use your PC to watch videos shot in wide-screen without unsightly black bars intruding. It has a 16:9 aspect ratio, so unlike LCD monitors with a 16:10 ratio a movie will fill the entire screen. However, users looking to pair it with an Xbox 360 or other HDMI-enabled device will be disappointed.
The SyncMaster 2033SW has a similar design to other Samsung monitors such as the Samsung SyncMaster 2333SW, with a glossy piano black bezel and a transparent lower lip. This style certainly makes the Samsung monitors stand out from the crowd, but we can’t help but feel that the bezel on the SyncMaster 2033SW is somewhat larger and bulkier than necessary. The stand of the monitor is also slightly flimsy, which means it doesn't take much to make the monitor shake; this may prove annoying if you’re a particularly energetic typist or mouse-clicker.
The monitor has DVI and D-Sub VGA ports, but audio and HDMI inputs are noticeably lacking.
The Samsung SyncMaster 2033W has a 5ms refresh rate, which means it can display games without ghosting and is a good choice for watching fast-motion videos. Contrast and colour reproduction are also good. The LCD panel has a 15,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio thanks to the WCG-CCFL backlight, though static contrast is a more down-to-earth 1000:1.
Black levels are good, with plenty of detail visible in darker areas of the screen during games and high-definition video playback. Our DisplayMate tests revealed no significant flaws in the image quality of the Samsung SyncMaster 2033SW; notably, sharpness was spot-on. We did notice that the monitor was quick to lose colour and contrast when vertical viewing angles were altered. Thankfully, horizontal viewing angles are far more forgiving, with no significant colour shift until we reached an unreasonable angle.
We were disappointed by the lack of HDMI input and in-built speakers, but if you’re using the Samsung SyncMaster 2033SW to play high-definition content then you will not be disappointed by its image quality.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 4 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 5 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Dell's monstrous 70-inch touchscreen monitor takes aim at Microsoft's Surface Hub
- Dell's 4-screen multimonitor setup looks like one enormous 43-inch display
- Foxconn to pay over $US6bn for a majority stake in Sharp
- CES 2016: Top 10 trends
- Kogan forced to pay $32,400 penalty by ACCC
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCSAP BASIS ConsultantVIC
- FTTIBCO Technical LeadNSW
- CCSystems Monitoring Specialist - Foglight focusNSW
- FTTableau BI DeveloperNSW
- CCScrum MasterNSW
- CCUrgent requirement for a Splunk SMEVIC
- CCSharepoint ConsultantQLD
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (HTML/SQL/PHP) 160628/AP/113Asia
- FTSenior Java Developer (Java/Maven/AEM)NSW
- CCProgram Controls ManagerACT
- CCAnalyst Programmer (J2EE/ SQL*PLUS/PL/SQL/PRO*C) 160617/AP/983Asia
- CCBusiness Analyst - Asset ManagementNSW
- CCProject ManagerNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - TravelNSW
- FTTechnical/Solutions ArchitectNSW
- FTContent Manager - Migration projectNSW
- FTIT Service Desk AnalystNSW
- CCData ArchitectSA
- CCMobility Developer (iOS or Android)NSW
- FTProject Manager - Insurance experience neededNSW
- CCProject Scheduler - IT Security ProgramNSW
- CCSolution DesignerACT
- CCMiddleware Developer - BaselineACT
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/SQL) 160629/AP/793Asia