Samsung SyncMaster 2033SW LCD monitor
A 20in Samsung LCD monitor with dynamic contrast and a fast response time
- 16:9 ratio, good image quality, stylish design, excellent colour and contrast, non-glossy screen, no ghosting
- No HDMI, unsteady stand
The Samsung SyncMaster 2033SW is a 16:9 LCD monitor with a high resolution for its screen size. It is well designed for watching widescreen HD movie content, but it doesn’t have the connection options to make it a great all-rounder.
Price$ 399.00 (AUD)
Buy now (Selling at 11 stores)
- S24c65kbw 24 (16:10) Pls Led Display Monitor + ... 475.00
- S32d850 Ls32d85ktsn/xy 32 Va-led Dvi/dp/hdmi 25... 799.00
- Brand Samsung Syncmaster P400 40 Widescreen Dis... 620.00
The Samsung SyncMaster 2033SW is a 20in LCD monitor with a 1600x900 resolution that's useful if you want to use your PC to watch videos shot in wide-screen without unsightly black bars intruding. It has a 16:9 aspect ratio, so unlike LCD monitors with a 16:10 ratio a movie will fill the entire screen. However, users looking to pair it with an Xbox 360 or other HDMI-enabled device will be disappointed.
The SyncMaster 2033SW has a similar design to other Samsung monitors such as the Samsung SyncMaster 2333SW, with a glossy piano black bezel and a transparent lower lip. This style certainly makes the Samsung monitors stand out from the crowd, but we can’t help but feel that the bezel on the SyncMaster 2033SW is somewhat larger and bulkier than necessary. The stand of the monitor is also slightly flimsy, which means it doesn't take much to make the monitor shake; this may prove annoying if you’re a particularly energetic typist or mouse-clicker.
The monitor has DVI and D-Sub VGA ports, but audio and HDMI inputs are noticeably lacking.
The Samsung SyncMaster 2033W has a 5ms refresh rate, which means it can display games without ghosting and is a good choice for watching fast-motion videos. Contrast and colour reproduction are also good. The LCD panel has a 15,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio thanks to the WCG-CCFL backlight, though static contrast is a more down-to-earth 1000:1.
Black levels are good, with plenty of detail visible in darker areas of the screen during games and high-definition video playback. Our DisplayMate tests revealed no significant flaws in the image quality of the Samsung SyncMaster 2033SW; notably, sharpness was spot-on. We did notice that the monitor was quick to lose colour and contrast when vertical viewing angles were altered. Thankfully, horizontal viewing angles are far more forgiving, with no significant colour shift until we reached an unreasonable angle.
We were disappointed by the lack of HDMI input and in-built speakers, but if you’re using the Samsung SyncMaster 2033SW to play high-definition content then you will not be disappointed by its image quality.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 BlackBerry Passport review: A smartphone going nowhere
- 2 Sony Xperia Z3 Compact review: A flagship at 4.6-inches
- 3 Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Windows 8.1 tablet
- 4 Samsung Galaxy Tab S (10.5) 4G review
- 5 TomTom Runner Cardio GPS watch
Best Deals on GoodGearGuide
Latest News Articles
- One week after patch, Flash vulnerability already exploited in large-scale attacks
- Candidates for EU's data protection job heard by the European Parliament
- Citrix's ShareFile gets document signing thanks to acquisition
- Alibaba's mobile OS in China boosted by Meizu partnership
- Your online TV watching is now being tracked across devices
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTSales Account ExecutiveNSW
- FTDigital Account ExecutiveNSW
- FTMarketing Communications Operations Manager - Global Tech Market leaderNSW
- FTAccount ExecutiveNSW
- FTBusiness ManagerNSW
- FTPartner Marketing Communications Manager - Leading Global Tech BrandNSW
- FTBusiness development manager - retargettingNSW
- CCConsumer Product Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTTechnical Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTBusiness Development Manager | Sales ManagerNSW