Samsung SyncMaster 2033SW LCD monitor
A 20in Samsung LCD monitor with dynamic contrast and a fast response time
- 16:9 ratio, good image quality, stylish design, excellent colour and contrast, non-glossy screen, no ghosting
- No HDMI, unsteady stand
The Samsung SyncMaster 2033SW is a 16:9 LCD monitor with a high resolution for its screen size. It is well designed for watching widescreen HD movie content, but it doesn’t have the connection options to make it a great all-rounder.
Price$ 399.00 (AUD)
The Samsung SyncMaster 2033SW is a 20in LCD monitor with a 1600x900 resolution that's useful if you want to use your PC to watch videos shot in wide-screen without unsightly black bars intruding. It has a 16:9 aspect ratio, so unlike LCD monitors with a 16:10 ratio a movie will fill the entire screen. However, users looking to pair it with an Xbox 360 or other HDMI-enabled device will be disappointed.
The SyncMaster 2033SW has a similar design to other Samsung monitors such as the Samsung SyncMaster 2333SW, with a glossy piano black bezel and a transparent lower lip. This style certainly makes the Samsung monitors stand out from the crowd, but we can’t help but feel that the bezel on the SyncMaster 2033SW is somewhat larger and bulkier than necessary. The stand of the monitor is also slightly flimsy, which means it doesn't take much to make the monitor shake; this may prove annoying if you’re a particularly energetic typist or mouse-clicker.
The monitor has DVI and D-Sub VGA ports, but audio and HDMI inputs are noticeably lacking.
The Samsung SyncMaster 2033W has a 5ms refresh rate, which means it can display games without ghosting and is a good choice for watching fast-motion videos. Contrast and colour reproduction are also good. The LCD panel has a 15,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio thanks to the WCG-CCFL backlight, though static contrast is a more down-to-earth 1000:1.
Black levels are good, with plenty of detail visible in darker areas of the screen during games and high-definition video playback. Our DisplayMate tests revealed no significant flaws in the image quality of the Samsung SyncMaster 2033SW; notably, sharpness was spot-on. We did notice that the monitor was quick to lose colour and contrast when vertical viewing angles were altered. Thankfully, horizontal viewing angles are far more forgiving, with no significant colour shift until we reached an unreasonable angle.
We were disappointed by the lack of HDMI input and in-built speakers, but if you’re using the Samsung SyncMaster 2033SW to play high-definition content then you will not be disappointed by its image quality.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Lexar® Portable SSD
Acer Swift 7
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Huawei Mate 9
Google Daydream VR headset
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Surface Pro 4
HP Pavilion x360 13”
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Dell's monstrous 70-inch touchscreen monitor takes aim at Microsoft's Surface Hub
- Dell's 4-screen multimonitor setup looks like one enormous 43-inch display
- Foxconn to pay over $US6bn for a majority stake in Sharp
- CES 2016: Top 10 trends
- Kogan forced to pay $32,400 penalty by ACCC
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTBranch Practice Manager - SecurityQLD
- TPBI Commercial AnalystVIC
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- FTWeb Developer / Applications AnalystQLD
- TPHRIS Business AnalystQLD
- FTSenior Network AdministratorNSW
- CCSystem EngineerSA
- TPProject Coordinator/Junior Project ManagerVIC
- FTInfrastructure Architect (Adelaide Based)VIC
- TPAPS6/EL1 Database Modelling SpecialistACT
- CCProcess Improvement Specialist - Six Sigma Black BeltVIC
- CCERP Business Analyst (Time Capture/ Management) - Contract - Sydney CBDNSW
- CCArcSight Security Engineer - Contract - IT Services - SydneyNSW
- CCDevops EngineerNSW
- CCTest ManagerWA
- CCSenior Business AnalystVIC
- TPSenior Business Project ManagerNSW
- TPDigital Strategist - Newcastle BasedNSW
- CCWPF .NET EngineerNSW
- CCMDM Consultant/DesignerVIC
- TPCrystal Reports DeveloperSA
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- CCNetwork Specialist - IPAM TelcoVIC
- TPInformation Security OfficerACT
- FT.Net DeveloperVIC