- Fast printing, Good quality prints, Rich colours
- Slightly misaligned colours on some prints, Not compatible with some mobile phones.
The Samsung SPP-2040 is a very pretty little device that would suit anyone looking for a simple solution for making prints of their digital photo collection from the comfort of their home office.
Price$ 299.00 (AUD)
As digital cameras begin to dominate our lives, more and more people are looking for fast and easy solutions for getting high quality prints to put in their photo albums. The Samsung SPP-2040 is a very attractive, sleek and simple to use photo printer that could easily handle any family's day to day printing needs. It doesn't produce perfect pictures but they are more than sufficient and print both quickly and with the greatest of ease.
The unit is tiny and abundant in clean futuristic lines with a blazing blue neon on/off button. The tiny two inch screen displays basic information including printing progress and menu items. This design is very effective and will look gorgeous on the average workstation desk. The paper dock attaches to the bottom of the printer and can hold sheets of specialized photo paper. This printer can only print 4x6 prints though so for those looking to do more extensive printing, one of the larger multi-format photo printers might be in order.
We tested the 2040 and were impressed with its speed. It averaged about 60 seconds per print during our tests in both colour and monochrome. We also tested the colour reproduction and found the richness of the colours to be quite astounding. However, this is not the perfect printer. There were times when the colours were slightly misaligned creating fringing on certain colours. This didn't happen on every photo but considering the cost of each page of paper, any anomalies should be addressed.
Samsung included a Bluetooth dongle so we could test the Bluetooth capabilities of the printer. We used various mobile phones but found that only the model made by Samsung worked when printing photos. All other wireless printing worked well but the incompatibility with other manufacturer's mobile phones seems like a poor design choice to us.
Installing this printer was a breeze with a simple driver installation, it was up and running and accepting images from any program we threw at it.
We quite enjoyed using the Samsung SPP-2040 and had only a few minor complaints about it. The print quality was rather good, the printing was quick and the unit is so adorable we couldn't help but hold it in high regard.
The 2040 also comes with an option to buy the Bluetooth dongle for an extra $50 for those that need that functionality.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Adidas to 3D print custom insoles in sneakers
- MIT builds a 3D printer that can use 10 materials at once
- HP’s $69 Deskjet printer makes more efficient use of ink tanks
- HP LaserJets use a new type of toner particle that can improve energy efficiency and print speed
- da Vinci 1.0 AiO: the world’s first personal 3D scanner and printer is coming to Australia
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTDigital Marketing Specialist | Media BuyerNSW
- CCDigital ProducerNSW
- CCContract System Engineer (Lotus Domin) 160129/SE/vccAsia
- CCJava DeveloperVIC
- CCSolutions ArchitectNSW
- CCTechnical Lead - .NET TechnologiesNSW
- CCOracle Project OfficerSA
- CCETL DeveloperNSW
- CCProject CoordinatorNSW
- FTVB6 DeveloperNSW
- CCAndroid and iOS DevelopersVIC
- FTInsight / Customer / modelling - Analyst (Data Scientist)NSW
- CCIT Service Improvement SpecialistNSW
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- FTFull Stack & Mobile EngineersNSW
- CCOpen_5pm 5th February_Program ArchitectACT
- CCTest ManagerQLD
- FTApplication Support AnalystVIC
- CCPortfolio-Program SchedulerNSW
- FT.NET DeveloperVIC
- CCTechnical Business Analyst (Telecommunications) / Melb CBDVIC
- FTJava Web Development OpportunityVIC
- CCJava Developer - Front/ Back EndVIC
- CCDBA (Oracle/SQL)NSW
- CCBusiness AnalystACT