Samsung Series 9 (LA46A950)
The best LCD TV we've ever seen.
- Incredible blacks comparable to the best plasmas, fantastic colours, sharp image, handles motion well, lots of bonus features
- Minor aliasing on text, a little detail lost in some dark areas
Samsung's Series 9 LA46A950 is the best LCD TV on the market. While not perfect, its flaws are negligible and it offers an incredible combination of deep blacks, rich colours, sharp images and great motion, along with a host of bonus features, making it the panel to watch out for this Christmas season.
Price$ 5,499.00 (AUD)
If there's one question we're sick of hearing as technology journalists it's whether plasma or LCD TVs are better. Usually you give a spiel about LCDs being better for bright rooms and offering sharper pictures but plasmas having better blacks and colours. With the introduction of LED backlights, however, the distinction becomes more difficult.
We recently had the pleasure of looking at Samsung's new flagship TV, the LD46A950, and we can safely say it is the best LCD TV we've ever seen. Offering black levels that are on par with the best plasmas, the Series 9 TVs represent the current pinnacle of display technology and should be on every enthusiast's Christmas list this year.
It was during the opening moments of our testing that we knew we were in for something special. We test in a sealed room with the lights off, and during one of the loading sequences the screen temporarily went black. The TV was so black the entire screen disappeared into the darkness.
The unit has a rather ridiculous sounding 2,000,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio. Whether or not this is actually the case, it's clear that it is a cut above the rest. The blacks are so deep a little detail is sometimes lost in dark areas, but the overall contrast performance is still impressive.
What's even better is the colour depth. We tested on the cinema setting and everything looked absolutely fantastic. Bright colours were vibrant without being too oversaturated and skin tones looked smooth and accurate. The overall colour balance was one of the best we've seen and required minimal tweaking of the calibration settings.
Our high-definition tests were well rendered with a crisp, sharp image. There was minimal noise even in our particularly strenuous test scenes, and the level of detail was as impressive as we've come to expect from high-definition media. We spotted some minor aliasing on our Xbox 360 menus; this was the only blemish in an otherwise stellar performance.
In our standard-definition tests the unit performed as expected. It did a good job of up-scaling our test DVD footage with minimal artefacts and aberrations. The picture was a little grainier than in our HD tests, but that is expected and it looked better than many other competing panels. Colours and blacks were still as impressive as they were in our HD tests. The panel should be more than adequate for your day-to-day DVD watching.
Blacks aside, one other point of contention with LCDs is their motion reproduction. It was a big issue with older panels, but it has steadily been improving — this unit is a good example of that. There was no noticeable ghosting or trailing and the 100Hz mode worked well, with minimal artefacts.
While the LED backlight is the star of the show on this unit, it also sports all the extras found on the Samsung Dual WAN Advanced VPN Router (TW100-BRV324) . This includes Wiselink Pro and Digital Living Network Alliance connectivity. DLNA is a protocol that allows you to stream media from your home network without the use of a third-party device. It is still in its infancy at the moment and has some limitations (such as the inability to stream wirelessly) so it isn't particularly useful yet. Wiselink Pro, on the other hand, can be kind of cool. It allows you to play a variety of media, including video and audio, from a USB stick. The number of codecs supported is quite high, so most of your media should be supported. It also features a content library with a variety of features such as recipes, fitness tips, games and stories.
Aesthetically, the unit impresses. It has a carbon-coloured bezel that looks smooth and stylish. Samsung has always been at the forefront of TV design and it shows here. We do have a complaint with the on-board controls, however; they are touch sensitive and are almost impossible to find under regular lighting conditions.
The unit sports four HDMI ports, which should be enough for even the most demanding enthusiast. There are also the usual component, composite, D-sub, S-Video and optical out ports.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Acer Swift 7
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Lexar® Portable SSD
Google Daydream VR headset
Huawei Mate 9
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Surface Pro 4
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Sony shows off its new OLED and LCD TVs, video projector, and Bluetooth speakers
- Sony’s Bravia XBR-A1E OLED could be the first flat-screen TV with sound that doesn’t suck
- Say goodbye to Apple's third-generation Apple TV
- Japan gears up for 8K TV broadcasting
- NHK's latest 8K display is large, thin and beautiful
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCSenior Technical Business Analyst - Wealth AdviceNSW
- CCBusiness AnalystSA
- TPTechnical ConsultantNSW
- TPIteration ManagerNSW
- CCSenior Project Coordinator - Banking/Financial ServicesNSW
- FTIT Project Coordinator - Mascot/AlexandriaNSW
- FTSecurity Engineer - Permanent - IT Services - SydneyNSW
- TPTechnical WriterQLD
- TPMicrosoft Analyst ProgrammerSA
- TPSolution Architect - IntegrationQLD
- CCAgile CoachNSW
- FTSolutions Software DeveloperVIC
- FTSenior Learning Specialist - Global OrganisationQLD
- CCTest Automation EngineerVIC
- CCContract - System Access Administrator - major Telco in MelbourneVIC
- CCSenior Networks Specialist - DNS PlatformVIC
- CCUnix AdministratorNSW
- FTIt Security and process analystNSW
- TPTechnical Business Analyst - DigitalQLD
- FTProject ManagerNSW
- TPFront End DeveloperWA
- TPDigital Process Business Analyst - Digital Transformation**NSW
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- FTDigital Strategist - Global Consulting FirmACT
- FTSenior Database AdministratorVIC