- Inexpensive, packed with functions
- Relatively slow
Samsung's unit is impressive for a sub-$500 laser multifunction printer. While it is ideal for home, relatively slow print speeds will bog down a busy small office.
Price$ 499.00 (AUD)
Samsung's SCX-4216F laser multifunction printer pushes new price boundaries for home and small businesses. This Samsung unit is priced below much of its competition, in an area where most consumers would only consider ink. Laser printers have benefits over ink models for mid to high volume users, thanks to a lower cost of operation and higher print speeds.
The Samsung machine is well designed, measuring 48 x 44 x 42cm, and weighing around 14kg. The beige unit features a flatbed scanner on top, behind a comprehensive and straightforward control panel. Parallel and USB connectors are provided as standard, but there's no way to hook the machine up to a network. The front-loading paper tray has enough room for a maximum to 250 sheets, and should suffice for most small businesses with light demands.
Unfortunately, we found the print speed a little disappointing, with the machine managing a sub-par 13 pages per minute in plain text, and 11 for mixed text and graphics. This isn't much of a concern if you're only going to use the printer in a home environment, but a busy small business could be kept waiting for pages. Samsung has managed to keep one eye on the total cost of operation - an important factor for any business - and there's a one-touch "Toner Save" button that the company claims manages to save 40% of the toner and is ideal for fast, draft printing.
The colour scanner operates at an optical resolution of 600dpi, and does a good job of reproducing tonal variations, with reasonable colour accuracy. We found the machine was a little biased towards green tones by default, and images required minor touch-ups in a photo editing application. That said, the quality is solid considering the relatively low purchase price, and will suffice for all but the most demanding home or small business users. And the machine will handle 33.6kbps faxing (provided the fax machine at the other end is compatible).
If you have relatively light printing requirements, the Samsung unit is a great choice. The two-year warranty should see the machine running reliably for its service life, and though it's relatively slow for a laser, it's good enough for most homes and small businesses. That said, higher volume users will be better served looking elsewhere.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 4 Tech21 Evo Xplorer iPhone case review
- 5 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
Latest News Articles
- How 4D printing is now saving lives
- 3D printing industry to triple in four years to $21B
- Disney files patent for near instantaneous 3D printing
- Never run out of printer ink with HP Instant Ink
- HP to launch 3D printers this year
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCProject Coordinator (Paying $400-$450 per day)NSW
- FTData AnalystsWA
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/XML) 160818/P/872Asia
- FTSAP Ariba Consultant/ManagerVIC
- CCProject Manager- Radio CommunicationsVIC
- CCSenior Process Analyst - WealthVIC
- CCSolution Architect - WMS/LogisticsVIC
- CCSenior Android DeveloperVIC
- CCSenior Change Analyst, WealthNSW
- CCSr IT Support specialist - MCSE- L2/L3- Travelling requiredNSW
- CCFull stack Java Developer- NoSQL database, Amazon AWS productsNSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Infrastructure/JAVA) 160901/SA/486Asia
- CCChange AnalystNSW
- FTTandem/NonStop Technical ConsultantWA
- CCSenior Project Manager - Contact CentresNSW
- CCSenior Project Manager - TelecommunicationVIC
- CCService Desk AnalystNSW
- FTDigital Product Owner | Advertising Technology | SearchNSW
- CCTechnical WriterACT
- FTApplication Support ManagerNSW
- CCPMO Project AdministratorNSW
- CCChange Communications ManagerNSW
- CCProject Resource SpecialistVIC
- CCSenior Technical Specialist - Active DirectoryVIC
- CCProgram Director, Cyber Security TransformationNSW