Samsung RF511 all-purpose laptop
This 15.6in laptop can be used for gaming as well as tough multimedia tasks and day-to-day office work
- Plenty of speed
- Great keyboard
- Blu-ray drive
- Screen too glossy
- Build quality not great
Samsung's RF511 is relatively inexpensive, yet it packs a lot of speed and good features. For just over $1000 (if you shop around), you get an Intel Core i7 CPU as well as a Blu-ray drive. We think it's a great laptop for anyone who wants to be entertained as well as do serious work.
Price$ 1,299.00 (AUD)
Need a laptop that can be used for entertainment purposes as well as boring old office work? If so, the Samsung RF511 is a good choice. Its specification list is beefy: it includes one of Intel's latest Intel Core i7 CPUs as well as plenty of memory and hard drive space. Most importantly, it has a good graphics adapter, and a good graphics adapter is what's needed to play games.
We had no problems running popular games on this laptop and unless you're a hardcore gamer who wants to enable all of the eye candy available in a game and still experience smooth gameplay, then we think you'll be happy with it. It recorded 9219 in 3DMark06, which is a good result, and games such as Left4Dead2 recorded 60 frames per second, which equates to smooth gameplay.
If you want to just do spreadsheets, create documents and browse the Web, the Samsung won't let you down. In fact, if that's all you want to do, then you're better off buying something much cheaper and less powerful. The Samsung's specifications are better suited to those of you who want to edit video and to convert files from one format to another.
You can also use this laptop for heavy multitasking. Its CPU has four cores and Hyper-Threading and there is 6GB of RAM available. What this means is that you can run up to eight programs (or more) simultaneously without noticing too much of a slow-down in performance. The hard drive has a capacity of 750GB, which is great for storing stacks of multimedia files as well as all your programs, and because the laptop has USB 3.0, you can plug in a fast external hard drive to back up all your data, too.
Some things we don't like about this laptop are its 15.6in glossy screen and somewhat questionable build quality. That said, it's not too bad and it's not an expensive laptop, so you shouldn't expect it to be perfect in every way.
We like its keyboard, which feels great to type on and its touchpad is smooth and supportive of multi-finger gestures. It's a big laptop that weighs about 2.6kg, so it's not great for actually using it on your lap — it definitely should be considered a desktop replacement unit.
All up, this notebook is hard to pass up if you want a good combination of speed, features, price and user comfort.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Huawei Mate 9
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Lexar® Portable SSD
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Acer Swift 7
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Google Daydream VR headset
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Surface Pro 4
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Samsung's UHD Monitor covers 99.5 per cent of Adobe colour spectrum
- HP settles cases with inkjet cartridge vendors
- Study predicts PS3 will win the console war
- Samsung wave makes a splash at Mobile World Congress
- Sony finally back in the black (but not thanks to PlayStation)
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCIT Operations Centre EngineerQLD
- FTSenior Dot Net Backend Orientated DeveloperNSW
- FTPresales Solutions ArchitectQLD
- FTHead of ApplicationsVIC
- TPAnalyst Workplace SupportVIC
- TPBusiness AnalystACT
- FTProject Manager (Software product development)VIC
- CCProject SpecialistVIC
- CCFirewall EngineerNSW
- FTSupport and Operations Team LeadNSW
- CCTechnical Consultant - ITSM/HP Service ManagerNSW
- CCSQL Database Administrator (DBA)NSW
- CCData Migration Consultant - LeadNSW
- FTPre- Sales Solution ArchitectVIC
- FTSystem AdministratorNSW
- TPIT Project Manager - Office relocationVIC
- FTLevel 3 EngineerNSW
- CCSenior Infrastructure EngineerNSW
- CCSystem EngineerSA
- TPOrganisational Change Manager - ICT Services TransformationQLD
- FTSenior Business AnalystVIC
- TPBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTJava Developer/IntegratorACT
- CCInfrastructure Test AnalystACT
- FTSenior IT Business Analyst - Permanent OpportunityNSW