Samsung RF511 all-purpose laptop
This 15.6in laptop can be used for gaming as well as tough multimedia tasks and day-to-day office work
- Plenty of speed
- Great keyboard
- Blu-ray drive
- Screen too glossy
- Build quality not great
Samsung's RF511 is relatively inexpensive, yet it packs a lot of speed and good features. For just over $1000 (if you shop around), you get an Intel Core i7 CPU as well as a Blu-ray drive. We think it's a great laptop for anyone who wants to be entertained as well as do serious work.
Price$ 1,299.00 (AUD)
Need a laptop that can be used for entertainment purposes as well as boring old office work? If so, the Samsung RF511 is a good choice. Its specification list is beefy: it includes one of Intel's latest Intel Core i7 CPUs as well as plenty of memory and hard drive space. Most importantly, it has a good graphics adapter, and a good graphics adapter is what's needed to play games.
We had no problems running popular games on this laptop and unless you're a hardcore gamer who wants to enable all of the eye candy available in a game and still experience smooth gameplay, then we think you'll be happy with it. It recorded 9219 in 3DMark06, which is a good result, and games such as Left4Dead2 recorded 60 frames per second, which equates to smooth gameplay.
If you want to just do spreadsheets, create documents and browse the Web, the Samsung won't let you down. In fact, if that's all you want to do, then you're better off buying something much cheaper and less powerful. The Samsung's specifications are better suited to those of you who want to edit video and to convert files from one format to another.
You can also use this laptop for heavy multitasking. Its CPU has four cores and Hyper-Threading and there is 6GB of RAM available. What this means is that you can run up to eight programs (or more) simultaneously without noticing too much of a slow-down in performance. The hard drive has a capacity of 750GB, which is great for storing stacks of multimedia files as well as all your programs, and because the laptop has USB 3.0, you can plug in a fast external hard drive to back up all your data, too.
Some things we don't like about this laptop are its 15.6in glossy screen and somewhat questionable build quality. That said, it's not too bad and it's not an expensive laptop, so you shouldn't expect it to be perfect in every way.
We like its keyboard, which feels great to type on and its touchpad is smooth and supportive of multi-finger gestures. It's a big laptop that weighs about 2.6kg, so it's not great for actually using it on your lap — it definitely should be considered a desktop replacement unit.
All up, this notebook is hard to pass up if you want a good combination of speed, features, price and user comfort.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 3 Tech21 Evo Xplorer iPhone case review
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Latest News Articles
- Samsung's UHD Monitor covers 99.5 per cent of Adobe colour spectrum
- HP settles cases with inkjet cartridge vendors
- Study predicts PS3 will win the console war
- Samsung wave makes a splash at Mobile World Congress
- Sony finally back in the black (but not thanks to PlayStation)
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCiOS DeveloperVIC
- FTBusiness Intelligence Team LeadVIC
- FTBusiness Development Manager | ICT intelligent systems integrationVIC
- CCData Centre Solutions Architect - Red Hat, Wintel & VMwareACT
- FTIT Release CoordinatorWA
- CCSenior Server and Storage Support EngineerNSW
- CCSolution Architect - WMS/LogisticsVIC
- CCNetwork Implementation EngineerNSW
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- CCFull stack Java Developer- NoSQL database, Amazon AWS productsNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (Oracle SQL/.Net) 160812/AP/vhsAsia
- FTTest Lead - HP ALMNSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Cognos/JAVA/J2EE) 160831/SA/122Asia
- CCProject Manager- Radio CommunicationsVIC
- CCChange LeadsNSW
- CCSenior Solutions Architect - SIEMVIC
- CCDesktop Support Level 1 /2VIC
- FTTechnical Lead | Senior Java Developer | EcommerceNSW
- FTApplications Support / Systems Administrator | DefenceACT
- CCTechnical Support - iPAD, iPhone, Apple devicesNSW
- CCTechnical Business Analyst- BABOK,Infrastructure, Banking bkgndNSW
- CCLinux EngineerVIC
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/HTML/PHP) 160819/P/733Asia
- FTChange Management Specialist - IT Service ManagementNSW