- Excellent high-definition performance, great value, deep blacks and great contrast
- Some pixelation issues with gaming and standard-definition content
An excellent high-definition panel, the Samsung PS-50P91FD is slightly let down by its performance in other areas.
Price$ 4,399.00 (AUD)
The Samsung's PS-50P91FD is a 50-inch 1080p plasma display panel. Its high-definition performance is excellent, although some minor issues with gaming and standard definition hold it back from perfection. Nevertheless, it comes at a great price and is an attractive option for those looking for a dedicated high-definition display.
High-definition performance is the highlight of the PS-50P91FD's functionality, as would be expected of a 1080p panel. While watching a range of Blu-ray and HD-DVD titles, we observed excellent image quality with deep blacks and a well represented range of colours. We were unable to detect any flaws or problems with image quality during our tests. We did have to make some adjustments to the default contrast and sharpness settings to suit our viewing environment, but this was easy with the intuitive and extensive menu system.
Our gaming tests weren't quite as good. While the panel generally handled games well, with no motion blur and well rendered dark areas, we did notice some significant pixelation on curved edges. Nevertheless, it was hardly noticeable in fast-paced action scenes, which the television handled extremely well.
Standard definition is always difficult for 1080p TVs to handle due to the amount of scaling necessary to bring DVD resolution images up to high-definition resolution. The PS-50P91FD's standard-definition performance is quite impressive, although we did notice the same pixelation on curved edges that we saw in our gaming tests. This was also especially apparent in high contrast areas. Nevertheless, the level of detail was excellent, and most users should find that this panel will handle standard-definition content quite well.
The inbuilt speakers deliver an impressive amount of volume, but a lack of clarity in the highest treble ranges and the lack of a subwoofer may make audio enthusiasts wish to consider a separate home theatre system to complement this TV. The integrated digital TV tuner picked up all the local channels quite quickly, and we were pleased with the quality of the reception.
As with the vast majority of 1080p panels, the Samsung PS-50P91FD's is designed primarily to handle high-definition content, and does this excellently. A few minor flaws in gaming and standard definition can generally be forgiven, and at 50 inches the screen has quite an attractive price, making it great value compared to a lot of larger screens. A fine choice for those primarily looking for a high-definition display, but not yet willing to completely forsake their DVD collection!
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 2 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 3 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 4 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Vizio’s latest 4K TVs make eye-popping HDR more affordable
- Netflix flips the switch on eye-popping HDR video streaming
- Sony’s pricey Ultra video-streaming service goes live today, but you'll need a new high-end 4K Sony TV to use it
- Foxconn to pay over $US6bn for a majority stake in Sharp
- LG releases first flat screen OLED TV in Australia
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCProject ManagerACT
- CCContract Programmer (MS SQL Server/SQL/Web) 160518/P/626Asia
- CCFront end and Full Stack DevelopersNSW
- CCService Provider Manager - DesktopVIC
- FTScrum MasterVIC
- FTNV1, NV2 Network Engineers | Permanent role with diverse Defence projectsACT
- CCProject Manager PMP RMP certified - NV1ACT
- CCMultiple Oracle Fusion SOA/BPEL Developer OpportunitiesVIC
- FTWeb DeveloperSA
- CCSenior BA - Enterprise DataNSW
- CCBPM / Java DeveloperNSW
- FTTechnical LeadNSW
- CCSr. Net DeveloperVIC
- FTWeb & Mobile Solutions DeveloperNSW
- CCApplication System EngineerACT
- CCData Migration Quality Manager- SAP ECCNSW
- CCHR Systems Support OfficerACT
- CCProject Manager NetworksNSW
- FTNetwork EngineerNSW
- FTStibo PIM Consultant - Permanent OpportunityNSW
- CCIT Assistant (Office Automation/Windows) 160517/ITA/884Asia
- FTInfrastructure Specialist VMwareNSW
- CCPositive Vetted ICT positions - Defence intelligence and information securityACT
- FTOPEN _ ASAP_Technical Specialist COEACT
- CCAnalyst Programmer (J2EE/Oracle/SQL*PLUS) 160519/AP/432Asia