Samsung Miniket VP-X110
- Strap-on weather proof extension, sports focused, compact, mp3 player, easy to use
- Poor image quality, disjointed shooting modes
For amateur sports photographers, the X110 is an excellent choice. Its compact size and ease of use makes it perfect for those wanting to capture footage of themselves enjoying the great outdoors!
Price$ 1,299.00 (AUD)
A "Sports Camcorder" is what Samsung have dubbed the weather resistant, rubber encased iteration in their Miniket series. The VP-X110's design is essentially that of the other cameras in the series, but with an emphasis on outdoor usage.
Physically, the X110 is the same as the VP-M110, with the exception of its black and blue rubber exterior. The controls are identical, as is the two inch screen. Image quality, again, we found to be almost exactly the same as with the M110. For more details on the interface, design, and image quality, please consult our review of the Miniket VP-M110.
The big difference between these two models is their intended uses. The M110 is sold as more of an all-round camera, while the X110 is marketed with a strong emphasis on sporting and outdoor use. This puts it in the best possible situation - outdoors, with plenty of bright light. Fast paced action probably won't be done justice by the X110, but it still presents itself as a functional and viable option for amateur sports recording.
What really exemplifies the sporting style of the X110, however, is the external camera module. A cylindrical device, it's essentially an extension of the camera, which can be plugged into the handheld portion. This is the weather resistant portion of the camera, and comes with its own rubber casing, enough to protect it from some of the less fierce elements. The cylindrical camera fits inside the rubber casing, which is attached to a strap, allow it to be fastened to the head, arm, or any other similar body part of piece of equipment (a bicycle frame, for example).
The quality of the extension is lower than the handheld camera, due to even fewer pixels, but footage recorded is generally still decipherable. Don't expect anything near the clarity of professional sports photography, but if you want to film your mates surfing, or yourself going down a steep slope on your mountain bike, it's a pretty cool camera.
The X110 is what the rest of the Miniket range should have been - a fun focused, easy to use camera geared up for outdoor shooting. Its intended purpose fits well with both the pros and cons of the Miniket range, and we could easily see it being the most successful iteration of the series.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 2 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 3 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 4 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- YouTube dives into VR, live-streaming with 360 video
- Netflix stops insisting it will never support offline videos
- YouTube rolling out live 360-degree videos with immersive Coachella experience
- Sony cranks up optical disc storage to 3.3TB
- How a Canberra specialist is helping digitise valuable Nelson Mandela footage
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCProject ManagerVIC
- CCAWS ArchitectNSW
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- FTService Coordinator/Scheduler | IT Managed Service ProviderVIC
- FTDatabase Administrator / ArchitectNSW
- FTSoftware Design Engineer (Embedded Software)SA
- CCBusiness Project ManagerAsia
- CCProject ManagerQLD
- FTSenior Project Manager, SoftwareNSW
- CCSales Development Executive - Flexible Working HoursNSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (C++/JAVA/SQL) 160505/SA/971Asia
- CCSolution ArchitectVIC
- FTDigital Account Manager - Online MediaNSW
- CCMarketing Communications Specialist - Global IT CompanyNSW
- CCSenior Project Manager - HealthcareVIC
- CCJava Developer / DevOps | FINEOS Application | Long Term ContractNSW
- CCFront End Developer x 2QLD
- FTSenior Technical ConsultantVIC
- FTSharePoint DeveloperSA
- CCSQL DeveloperVIC
- FTSenior Business Intelligence ManagerNSW
- CCInfrastructure Solution Designer - Oracle Exadata/ExalogicVIC
- FTDigital Sales Manager - Online MediaNSW
- FTTechnical/Solutions ArchitectNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160505/AP/951Asia