This soundbar has a wireless subwoofer and an integrated Blu-ray player
- Easy to set up, good sound quality
- Large and imposing, styled specifically for Samsung televisions
Samsung's compact HT-BDS200 soundbar system includes a subwoofer and Blu-ray disc support, and its design complements the company's recent TVs.
Price$ 1,299.00 (AUD)
The Samsung HT-BDS200 soundbar is a stylish and well-built home theatre system with a wireless subwoofer and an integrated Blu-ray disc player. It may be a bit large and imposing if you are pairing it with a smaller screen, but it is a good match with Samsung's LED TVs and will give you a massive sound quality boost.
Surprisingly, unpacking and installing the Samsung HT-BDS200 soundbar is not the ordeal we thought it would be. It arrives in a reasonably large box, but to get it up and running all that’s required is connecting the soundbar to your television via HDMI and plugging in the power. No fiddling around with running wires or threading cables through your living room — compared to the Sony Super MU.TE.KI with its 11 speakers, this is bliss.
The design of the Samsung HT-BDS200 may turn off some people. Sure, it’s definitely stylish, modern and attractive, but with its crystal rim and sheen of glossy black it’s only a perfect match to a Samsung television. Because the soundbar sits directly underneath your TV it may look slightly out of place. We had the system paired with a Pioneer PDP-LX509A plasma television and while the glossy blacks were similar, the wavy translucent rim of the HT-BDS200 was a poor match.
Once you’ve set the HT-BDS200 up, chuck on a Blu-ray disc — we opted for a 1080p copy of The Dark Knight — and sit back to enjoy the sound. We directly compared the system to a Panasonic DMR-BW750 Blu-ray disc player and didn’t notice a difference in picture quality, even on our very expensive Pioneer plasma screen. Colours were vibrant and well saturated, and there was a high level of detail.
The Samsung HT-BDS200 has good sound quality given its compact size. When teamed with the wireless subwoofer, common frequencies are covered well. Treble is a particular standout, with dialogue and musical notes easily audible during our low volume listening tests.
Treble remained consistent at all volumes — even at painfully loud volume levels it was balanced and doesn’t become harsh. Mid-range is probably the weakest area. Because the soundbar’s small speakers can’t reproduce low frequency ranges this responsibility is palmed off to the subwoofer, which does an adequate but unspectacular job. At louder volumes the subwoofer struggles with higher mid-range notes — a few small frequency holes start to appear. Bass is also acceptable, with lower registers simulated well by the ported subwoofer. You’re not going to get floor-shaking reverberations until very high volumes, though — a proper subwoofer is your best bet for that.
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @Goodgearguide
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 2 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Samsung's UHD Monitor covers 99.5 per cent of Adobe colour spectrum
- HP settles cases with inkjet cartridge vendors
- Study predicts PS3 will win the console war
- Samsung wave makes a splash at Mobile World Congress
- Sony finally back in the black (but not thanks to PlayStation)
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTSenior Project Manager, SoftwareNSW
- CCContract ManagerVIC
- FTData AnalystNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/Oracle/Unix) 160509/AP/395Asia
- FTDeveloper - OSB/BPELNSW
- FTSenior Project Manager - Payroll IntegrationVIC
- FTProduct OwnerNSW
- FTSoftware Design Engineer (Embedded Software)SA
- FTAGILE Training Manager/CoachNSW
- CCSenior Project ManagerVIC
- CCJava Developer- 12 month contractNSW
- FTAzure ArchitectQLD
- CCSenior Project Manager - HealthcareVIC
- CCHyperion ConsultantNSW
- FTSharepoint DeveloperACT
- FTSenior Enterprise Architect, Financial ServicesAsia
- CCMarketing Communications Specialist - Global IT CompanyNSW
- FTNV2 Defence Project Manager | Prince2 & PMBoK shop | Huge project pipelineACT
- FTChange Lead- DigitalVIC
- CCSenior Implementation AnalystNSW
- FTSolution Delivery Manager ( RTTM)NSW
- FTITSM Head of Service Desk & SwitchboardACT
- FTDigital Sales Manager - Online MediaNSW
- CCInfrastructure Engineer - Windows, VMWare, HyperVWA
- CCBusiness Analyst - master data managementACT