Samsung Galaxy Y Android phone
Samsung Galaxy Y review: A cheap as chips Android phone, let down by a low resolution screen
- Competitive price
- Attractive design
- Good features list
- Tiny screen
- Average battery life
Provided you don't expect it to effectively compete with more expensive phones, the Samsung Galaxy Y is great value for money. A tiny screen and average battery life do dampen its appeal, but the Galaxy Y remains a good budget smartphone.
Price$ 129.00 (AUD)
Samsung Galaxy Y: Software, performance and battery life
The Galaxy Y is powered by the 2.3 "Gingerbread" version of Google's Android operating system and Samsung has included its TouchWIZ UI over the top. The latter does add a few nifty features: toggles for Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, GPS, silent mode and auto screen rotation are easily accessible through the notifications window, while there's also a handy memo app and Samsung's Music Hub service. The latter is a subscription based music service that costs $9.99 per month, $54.99 for six months or $99.99 for 12 months in Australia.
The Galaxy Y also comes pre-loaded with the Navigon GPS application. This provides full turn-by-turn navigation using the Galaxy Y's built-in GPS receiver. The tiny screen does make for a slightly frustrating experience, but the Galaxy Y's speaker is loud enough to provide clear and audible voice guidance when using the app.
Samsung has included Swype technology, an optional, on-screen keyboard that allows you to slide your fingers over the letters you want to type in a single motion. It's a nice feature considering the Galaxy Y's low price tag and makes plenty of sense given the small 3in screen. Good Food Guide 2012, a file manager, the QuickOffice suite, and a voice recorder are other apps that come standard on the Galaxy Y and all are welcome additions.
Performance is about what we would expect from a phone that costs $129. We experienced occasional lag when opening and closing apps, but the general user experience was smooth and snappy. The Galaxy Y doesn't have enough grunt to support Flash Web browsing, but pinch to zoom is present, meaning you can use gestures on the touch screen to zoom in and out of apps like Google Maps and the Web browser.
Battery life is about average for an Android phone: the Galaxy Y will last a full day with sporadic use, but will drain quickly if you use it constantly. Given its small, low resolution screen, we expected battery life to perform better than it did.
The Samsung Galaxy Y is Blue Tick rated by Telstra, promising to provide superior mobile network coverage in regional and rural areas of Australia.
The Samsung Galaxy Y is available now on Telstra's pre-paid Cap Encore offer. A $30 recharge gives you $250 worth of total credit for talk and text along with 400MB data to use within 30 days.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 4 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 5 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Samsung's UHD Monitor covers 99.5 per cent of Adobe colour spectrum
- HP settles cases with inkjet cartridge vendors
- Study predicts PS3 will win the console war
- Samsung wave makes a splash at Mobile World Congress
- Sony finally back in the black (but not thanks to PlayStation)
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/Oracle) 160728/AP/623Asia
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (Java/SQL) 160721/AP/624Asia
- CCSOA -Solution Architect -baselineACT
- CCCRM Technical Consultant / DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior SAP BW & HANA Developer/Technical ArchitectVIC
- CCGeo-spatial AdministratorVIC
- CCFrontend DevelopersQLD
- CCDatabase developer/ModellerACT
- CCData Analyst / Data ModelerNSW
- CCTest Manager - Baseline SecurityVIC
- CCeLearning Developer / Learning Management System AdministratorACT
- CCSenior Deployment ManagerVIC
- CCTechnical Specialist - EUCNSW
- FTSenior Architect, Marketing and Campaign ManagementNSW
- FTPositive Vetted ICT positions - Defence intelligence and information securityACT
- CCDW/BI DeveloperACT
- CCTest CoordinatorQLD
- CCProduction Manager / Digital ProducerNSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Linux/MySQL) 1600803/SA/255Asia
- CCSenior Business Analyst with Product Management experienceVIC
- FTSAP FS-PM/FS-PQM SpecialistVIC
- FTProduct Owner - MarketingNSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (HP-UX/Oracle RDBMS) 160720/SA/113Asia
- CC.NET DeveloperQLD