Samsung Galaxy 551 Android phone (preview)
Samsung Galaxy 551: A mid-range Android smartphone that may be an ideal first step into the world of Android
- Full QWERTY keyboard
- Reasonable outright price
- Most functions and features of Android
- Limited internal memory
- No Flash support or live wallpapers
- Modest processor
The Samsung Galaxy 551 combines a full QWERTY keyboard and Google's Android operating system at a competitive price.
Price$ 480.00 (AUD)
Android smartphones with physical QWERTY keyboards are a rarity compared to their touchscreen keyboard counterparts, but Samsung is keen on offering this feature without breaking the bank. Its Galaxy 551, available exclusively through Telstra, is a mid-range Android phone targeted at consumers on a budget.
Although Samsung's flagship Galaxy S II might steal all the headlines this year, the company has clearly not neglected its other Galaxy phones. In addition to the Galaxy Ace, a mid-range Android phone without a QWERTY keyboard, the Galaxy 551 is the third Galaxy-branded phone Samsung has launched this year.
Like the Galaxy Ace, the Galaxy 551 aims to bring all the features and functions of Android to a compact handset at an affordable price. The Galaxy 551 runs the 2.2 'Froyo' version of Google's Android operating system, has a 3.2in capacitive touchscreen and features the now standard connectivity set of Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and 3G. The Samsung Galaxy 551 is a Telstra-exclusive, so it will obviously work on Telstra's 850MHz Next G network.
The Samsung Galaxy 551's 3.2in touchscreen may pose an issue; we think it's a little small. Based on our experience, the comfortable medium with Android phones seems to be 3.5in. The Galaxy 551 also has limited internal memory (160MB) and a modest 667MHz processor — a significant downgrade from the now standard 1GHz processors in more expensive Android phones. We'll be keen to see if the slower processor impacts on performance during day-to-day use — the fact that the Galaxy 551 doesn't support Flash video or live wallpapers suggests performance shouldn't be an issue due to the reduced workload.
The Galaxy 551 also includes Samsung's TouchWiz UI overlay. It offers seven customisable home screens for widgets and shortcuts, a built-in task manager, and a number of pre-loaded apps. Samsung's Social Hub app — a service that combines social networking, contacts, calendars and messaging activity in a single inbox — is not included.
The Samsung Galaxy 551 is available through Telstra stores or online for $480 outright or $0 upfront on Telstra's $59 Freedom Connect plan. The plan includes $550 worth of calls, unlimited text messages and 1.5GB of data per month.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Acer Swift 7
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Huawei Mate 9
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Lexar® Portable SSD
Google Daydream VR headset
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Surface Pro 4
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Samsung's UHD Monitor covers 99.5 per cent of Adobe colour spectrum
- HP settles cases with inkjet cartridge vendors
- Study predicts PS3 will win the console war
- Samsung wave makes a splash at Mobile World Congress
- Sony finally back in the black (but not thanks to PlayStation)
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTLinux Systems EngineerQLD
- FTSenior C++ EngineerACT
- CCADABAS Natural DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior .NET DeveloperNSW
- TPDeployment Specialist (DevOps)QLD
- FTPMO Specialist - PermanentACT
- FTSenior ITIL Service AnalystVIC
- CCProject SpecialistVIC
- CCSenior Project Manager - ApplicationsNSW
- TPSenior Project CoordinatorNSW
- CCIT Infrastructure ArchitectNSW
- CCData Migration Consultant - LeadNSW
- FTCitrix EngineerNSW
- FTSupport Analyst / Production Support - InformaticaNSW
- FTFull stack Developer - Senior (Java or C# and AngularJS) x 3QLD
- CCTest AnalystQLD
- FTFull Stack DeveloperQLD
- FTJava Developer - Fixed Term ContractQLD
- CCWicked Front-End DeveloperQLD
- CCAzure Architect/ConsultantVIC
- TPSenior Service Desk AnalystNSW
- CCSalesforce DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Java Developers (Several positions available)QLD
- FTSenior Business AnalystSA
- FTSenior Software Engineer - JavaQLD