- 1.3 megapixel camera, FM tuner, stylish finish
- No memory expansion slots, no missed call alerts on the external screen
The SGH-E730's fashionable design, high-resolution camera and Bluetooth features make it a compelling all-round phone package.
Price$ 799.00 (AUD)
Marketed as the Fifth Fantastic, the stylish Samsung SGH-E730 is an update to the popular SGH-E720, with an improved 1.3 megapixel camera, increased Bluetooth speed and new FM radio tuner function. But once again, no memory expansion slot is provided and users will have to make do with the 90MB supplied to store music and photos.
With a clamshell design and a weight of only 88g, the SGH-E730 is compact, but Samsung hasn't compromised on its build quality. The glossy black finish on the unit certainly appealed to us.
The external OLED screen of the Samsung can only display 80 x 64 pixels. It does not display missed call alerts for more than a few seconds, meaning you have to open the phone to find out if anyone has called.
There are three multimedia buttons on the front of the phone that can be used to access the MP3 playback and an FM radio tuner. We were pleased with the sound quality and reception of the FM tuner, which can hold up to 30 preset stations. MP3 playback quality was average.
Samsung supplies headphones (with FM antenna) that can be used with the unit. Unlike its predecessor, the SGH-E720, the SGH-E730 supports speakerphone capability.
The SGH-E730 ships with a 1.3 megapixel camera, and can take photos at resolutions up to SXGA (1280 x 1024). Video can be recorded at 160 x 120, 128 x 96 or 176 x 144. They can be limited to the size of an MMS message.
The SGH-E730 includes support for Bluetooth 1.2 (the SGH-E720 has Bluetooth 1.1).
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 3 Tech21 Evo Xplorer iPhone case review
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Latest News Articles
- NSW government taps on Android Pay
- LG announces the V20, a phone squarely targeted at audiophiles
- When will your phone get Android Nougat?
- Report: Nexus home button animation and 'night light' option appear amid a batch of leaks
- Samsung officially announces the Galaxy Note 7 and a refreshed GearVR
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCContract Systems Analyst (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160902/SA/812Asia
- FTBusiness Development Manager | ICT intelligent systems integrationVIC
- CCSenior Project Manager - Contact CentresNSW
- CCProgram CoordinatorVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/SQL) 160824/AP/531Asia
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/Oracle) 160822/AP/259Asia
- CCContract IT Assistant (SQL/Windows7/8/10) 160901/AP/781Asia
- CCSenior IT Assistant (Office Automation/PC LAN) 160817/SITA/902Asia
- CCContract Junior Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160902/JP/709Asia
- CCSalesforce CRM ManagerNSW
- CCData Centre Solutions Architect - Red Hat, Wintel & VMwareACT
- CCDesktop Support AnalystSA
- CCIT Assistant (Infrastructure/PC LAN Support) 160825/ITA/864Asia
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/J2EE) 160901/P/601Asia
- CCTechnical Business Analyst- BABOK,Infrastructure, Banking bkgndNSW
- CCSolution Designer - Windows UpgradeNSW
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- FTCapacity PlannerNSW
- CCSenior Server and Storage Support EngineerNSW
- FTClient Engagement ManagerVIC
- CCQuality AnalystNSW
- FTUNIX, LINUX , VM System AdministrationNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/Unix/Linux/Web) 160819/AP/173Asia
- CCActive Directory Consultant/ArchitectWA
- FTSharePoint DeveloperNSW