- 1.3 megapixel camera, FM tuner, stylish finish
- No memory expansion slots, no missed call alerts on the external screen
The SGH-E730's fashionable design, high-resolution camera and Bluetooth features make it a compelling all-round phone package.
Price$ 799.00 (AUD)
Marketed as the Fifth Fantastic, the stylish Samsung SGH-E730 is an update to the popular SGH-E720, with an improved 1.3 megapixel camera, increased Bluetooth speed and new FM radio tuner function. But once again, no memory expansion slot is provided and users will have to make do with the 90MB supplied to store music and photos.
With a clamshell design and a weight of only 88g, the SGH-E730 is compact, but Samsung hasn't compromised on its build quality. The glossy black finish on the unit certainly appealed to us.
The external OLED screen of the Samsung can only display 80 x 64 pixels. It does not display missed call alerts for more than a few seconds, meaning you have to open the phone to find out if anyone has called.
There are three multimedia buttons on the front of the phone that can be used to access the MP3 playback and an FM radio tuner. We were pleased with the sound quality and reception of the FM tuner, which can hold up to 30 preset stations. MP3 playback quality was average.
Samsung supplies headphones (with FM antenna) that can be used with the unit. Unlike its predecessor, the SGH-E720, the SGH-E730 supports speakerphone capability.
The SGH-E730 ships with a 1.3 megapixel camera, and can take photos at resolutions up to SXGA (1280 x 1024). Video can be recorded at 160 x 120, 128 x 96 or 176 x 144. They can be limited to the size of an MMS message.
The SGH-E730 includes support for Bluetooth 1.2 (the SGH-E720 has Bluetooth 1.1).
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Telstra restores mobile network after mass outage
- Amaysim wins with lowest TIO complaints
- Optus moves into wearables space with Cash by Optus
- 7 smartphone trends to watch this year
- LG G5 to debut on February 21, going head-to-head with Galaxy S7
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTDigital Marketing Specialist | Media BuyerNSW
- CCProject ManagerSA
- CCJira Administrator - Western SydneyNSW
- CCTechnical Lead - .NET TechnologiesACT
- FTVB6 DeveloperNSW
- CCEXCEL Guru / Data AdministratorNSW
- CCProject Manager, Network, FinanceNSW
- CCData Stage DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Oracle DBANSW
- FTSenior Front End Developer Required Working World Leading Digital TeamVIC
- CCWindows System Admin, Administrator, Technical SupportNSW
- CCSenior Project Manager, Research Data ProjectNSW
- FTServer EngineerNSW
- FTTechnical Lead (Java)NSW
- CCBusiness AnalystQLD
- CCSAP CRM Specialist- ABAPACT
- FTWeb Analytics Specialist - TechnicalNSW
- FTBusiness Analyst - Superannuation FundVIC
- FTSenior Linux Sys AdminNSW
- FTFunctional Business Analyst - Commodities and FX DomainNSW
- CCContract Programmer (Crystal Reports/JAVA/SQL) 160129/P/vhs-cAsia
- CCOperations AnalystNSW
- CCMaster SchedulerVIC
- FTSenior Business ConsultantNSW