- Compact size, good speed
- Text output isn't quite as crisp as on the best lasers, Has a skimpy paper catch, Paper curl
Mostly a very good MFD for the money, the CLX-2160N offers good quality, features, and performance at this level. It's a shame it's marred by the slightly skimpy paper catch and paper curl.
Price$ 849.00 (AUD)
Many moons ago, when PC companies first started extolling the virtues of the multifunction device, the main selling point appeared to be its ability to save space. Rather than buy a separate printer, scanner and copier, you could get all of this functionality shoe-horned into just one wonderfully compact product.
The first MFDs were hefty and rather overbearing. But fast forward a few years and we can see exactly why the original idea seemed so enticing. The very multifunctional CLX-2160N isn't a great deal larger than standard colour lasers. In fact, if you look at the likes of the Konica Minolta Magicolor series, you'll see that some colour lasers even take up more space than the CLX-2160N.
Not that the wonderfully honed design isn't without its flaws. Where colour lasers typically have a heavy-duty output tray built-in to the top of the printer, the CLX-2160N has a flatbed scanner. The solution to this compromise is a rather skimpy paper catch protruding from the printer. This doesn't take up much room, but neither is it a foolproof method of ejecting pages. In fact, we experienced quite a few problems with paper not dropping out properly. The CLX-2160N also has a tendency to curl paper.
These drawbacks are disappointing as, otherwise, this is a very good MFD. Print speeds are pretty fast and give the $450-$580 standalone colour lasers a good run for their money. Print quality is good as well, and graphics are packed with colour. Text output isn't quite as crisp as on the best lasers, although the lettering was mostly pleasingly dark. Scans are fast and realistic and the special ID feature is very nice - allowing you to quickly scan both sides of a business or ID card to a single sheet of paper.
You get network facilities as standard on this model (pay $150 less for a non-network version), and you can use the Direct USB port to take images from a USB drive.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 2 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 3 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 4 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- How 4D printing is now saving lives
- HP begins selling its Jet Fusion 3D printer; says it's 50% cheaper, 10X faster than others
- 3D printing industry to triple in four years to $21B
- Disney files patent for near instantaneous 3D printing
- Never run out of printer ink with HP Instant Ink
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCProject ManagerACT
- CCMultiple Oracle Fusion SOA/BPEL Developer OpportunitiesVIC
- CCProgram Business Implementation Director- HR Payroll, FINSW
- FTSenior Programmer (Data Engineering)NSW
- CCIT Environment and Deployment SpecialistQLD
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/SQL) 160606/AP/251Asia
- CCIT Assistant (Lotus Notes/LAN/Anti-Virus) 160524/ITA/074Asia
- FTOPEN_ASAP_Network Security AdministratorACT
- CCDigital Project ManagerVIC
- FTSolution ArchitectVIC
- CCSAP Project ManagersNSW
- CCSolutions Architect - SAP HANAQLD
- CCBusiness Analyst or Information AnalystNSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst, Contributions TaxNSW
- CCSecurity Clearances Vetting Services OfficerACT
- CCSecurity Administrative Support OfficerACT
- CCRelease Manager, InfrastructureNSW
- FTService Desk AnaylstNSW
- CCRevalidations OfficerACT
- CCSr Service ManagementACT
- FTAgile Implementation LeadNSW
- CCProject Manager / Delivery Manager - TelcoNSW
- CCSenior IT Security Specialist-SANS, ISC2, ISACA, ITILNSW
- CCSr. Windows Server Administrator- Financial Institution BckgNSW
- FTPeopleSoft Finance Functional ConsultantNSW