The Samsung BD-P1500 Blu-ray player has a great DVD upscaler and decent pricing.
- Excellent DVD upscaling and Blu-ray playback quality, BD-Live connectivity
- Takes a while to load a Blu-ray disc
If you're after good quality Blu-ray visuals and excellent DVD upscaling, the Samsung BD-P1500 is a good choice.
Price$ 499.00 (AUD)
We've recently looked at a range of attractive entry-level Blu-ray players, including the Kogan Technologies Blu-ray Player Full HD 1080P and the LG BD300. The Samsung BD-P1500 is another budget Blu-ray player, and it delivers excellent image quality, even when playing upscaled DVDs.
It also has an inoffensive design that won't stand out when placed with other home theatre devices.
We teamed the Samsung BD-P1500 Blu-ray player with a 46in Sharp LC-46D85X, and when Blu-ray discs were played the quality was excellent, with sharp details and natural skin tones. Motion was handled well, with every dark killer wave in The Guardian coming through with menacing clarity. Starting up the unit took 42sec.
What was even more impressive than Blu-ray playback, however, was the excellent DVD upscaling. Even on our large LCD panel the lobby scene from The Matrix looked great. Artefacts were virtually nonexistent, while jagged edges were rare. If you've had to stomach the painful picture quality produced by standard DVD players when connected to a big television, the Samsung BD-P1500 will seem like a gift from above; it offers better upscaling than any of the Blu-ray players at this price point that we've reviewed.
The Samsung BD-P1500 has a HDMI 1.3 output that can send 1080p images and 7.1-channel audio to compatible TVs and amplifiers. A stereo analog output and composite video output are provided, as is a digital optical audio output for connecting to audio streamers. A single Ethernet port in the back provides the capability to use BD-Live content, as long as the player is connected to the Internet and running a BD-Live disc.
The Blu-ray player supports Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS and DTS True HD.
For users wanting a great image from both Blu-ray discs and DVDs, the Samsung BD-P1500 offers solid value for a decent price.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Huawei Mate 9
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Lexar® Portable SSD
Acer Swift 7
Google Daydream VR headset
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Surface Pro 4
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 2 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
- 3 Panasonic Blu-ray recorder PVR set-top box review
- 4 Garmin Fenix Chronos fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 5 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
Latest News Articles
- EC says LCD screen cartel is active globally
- Sharp to increase LCD panel production on higher demand
- Dick Smith report says Australians keen to switch to digital radio
- Samsung, Numonyx to develop PCM specifications
- Faster SD cards could reach devices next year
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- First look at the Formula 1 2017 pit lane in Melbourne, Australia
- LG 2017 OLED and Super LED UHD 4K TVs: Hands-on review
- Oppo R9s Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media ExecutiveNSW
- TPBusiness Analyst - HealthQLD
- FTStorage Engineer (HDS)NSW
- FTSenior Project ManagerNSW
- CCInfrastructure Test Lead - Contract 6-8 wks initially - IT Services - North RydeNSW
- FTData Analyst LeadSA
- FTService Desk AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Applications Support AnalystSA
- CCSenior C++ .Net DeveloperWA
- FTHelpdesk TechnicianVIC
- CCProject ManagerACT
- FTArcFM DeveloperNSW
- TPSenior Project Manager - ReinsuranceNSW
- CCApplication Support Specialist- Bathurst or Port MacquarieNSW
- CCInside Sales ConsultantNSW
- CCUnix/Linux Systems AdministratorNSW
- FTSenior Business AnalystNSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst - Telco - Melbourne CBDVIC
- TPBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTLinux Systems AdministratorNZ
- FTBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Java EngineerACT
- TPBusiness AnalystQLD
- CCServiceNow Specialist - Administration and DevelopmentVIC
- FTTeam LeaderNSW