The Samsung BD-P1500 Blu-ray player has a great DVD upscaler and decent pricing.
- Excellent DVD upscaling and Blu-ray playback quality, BD-Live connectivity
- Takes a while to load a Blu-ray disc
If you're after good quality Blu-ray visuals and excellent DVD upscaling, the Samsung BD-P1500 is a good choice.
Price$ 499.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
- Bluray Player BDPS1500 92.94
We've recently looked at a range of attractive entry-level Blu-ray players, including the Kogan Technologies Blu-ray Player Full HD 1080P and the LG BD300. The Samsung BD-P1500 is another budget Blu-ray player, and it delivers excellent image quality, even when playing upscaled DVDs.
It also has an inoffensive design that won't stand out when placed with other home theatre devices.
We teamed the Samsung BD-P1500 Blu-ray player with a 46in Sharp LC-46D85X, and when Blu-ray discs were played the quality was excellent, with sharp details and natural skin tones. Motion was handled well, with every dark killer wave in The Guardian coming through with menacing clarity. Starting up the unit took 42sec.
What was even more impressive than Blu-ray playback, however, was the excellent DVD upscaling. Even on our large LCD panel the lobby scene from The Matrix looked great. Artefacts were virtually nonexistent, while jagged edges were rare. If you've had to stomach the painful picture quality produced by standard DVD players when connected to a big television, the Samsung BD-P1500 will seem like a gift from above; it offers better upscaling than any of the Blu-ray players at this price point that we've reviewed.
The Samsung BD-P1500 has a HDMI 1.3 output that can send 1080p images and 7.1-channel audio to compatible TVs and amplifiers. A stereo analog output and composite video output are provided, as is a digital optical audio output for connecting to audio streamers. A single Ethernet port in the back provides the capability to use BD-Live content, as long as the player is connected to the Internet and running a BD-Live disc.
The Blu-ray player supports Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS and DTS True HD.
For users wanting a great image from both Blu-ray discs and DVDs, the Samsung BD-P1500 offers solid value for a decent price.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Ford Focus ST (2015) review: Absolutely mental styling, engine, handling
- 2 LG 65-inch UHD TV (65UF950T) review
- 3 Playing chicken with a Tesla Model S
- 4 Audi TT (2015) review: A smarter take on the sports coupe
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Deals on Good Gear Guide
- Networking, Wireless & VoIP
Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- EC says LCD screen cartel is active globally
- Sharp to increase LCD panel production on higher demand
- Dick Smith report says Australians keen to switch to digital radio
- Samsung, Numonyx to develop PCM specifications
- Faster SD cards could reach devices next year
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCAccount Strategist | Sales Executive | Global Search EngineNSW
- CCLead Generator - Software SolutionsNSW
- FTSenior Network EngineerNSW
- FTDevOps Consultant - Microsoft Experience - Digital ConsultancyVIC
- FTDesktop Engineering ManagerNSW
- CCMarketing Coordinator - World's largest search engine!NSW
- FTField EngineerNSW
- FTBusiness Development Manager & Account ManagerVIC