- Build quality, access to Next G services, call quality, comfortable keypad
- Proprietary headphone and USB port, no included microSD card, no outstanding features
The A551 is a solid, but not outstanding mobile phone. It does a relatively basic job and access to the Next G services is notable, but there is nothing that sticks out about this handset.
Price$ 499.00 (AUD)
A mid-range handset built specifically for use on Telstra's Next G network, the Samsung A551 is a solid, but not outstanding phone.
The A551 offers HSDPA speeds of up to 3.6Mbps and we were impressed with the results. Being a Next G phone, the handset offers full access to the Next G portal, as well as Telstra's Mobile FOXTEL service.
Call quality is very reasonable and volume levels are adequate, even in noisy environments. The handsfree speaker phone also works well, though we'd recommend a dedicated unit should you wish to make a habit of this.
In terms of design, the A551 is sleek but doesn't stand out. The gloss black finish on the front is a nice touch though and the slide mechanism feels relatively smooth and well built. Slid open, the A551 reveals a flat, but comfortable keypad. Our only complaint is that the first row of buttons are quite close to the bottom of the slider -- meaning it's sometimes hard to press the 1, 2 and 3 buttons.
Unfortunately, the display is average and is not as crisp or clear as many other handsets on the market. Considering its positioning and price point though, we can't complain too much. Despite access to Next G services, this isn't a handset that we'd recommend for excessive multimedia use.
The A551 has its fair share of features, headed by a 1.3-megapixel camera and a VGA camera on the front for video calls. A media player handles video and music, but once again Samsung's insistence on a proprietary headphone jack is an annoyance. Bluetooth 2.0 with the A2DP profile is a nice inclusion and means that you can wirelessly stream your music to a compatible set of Bluetooth headphones. In addition, a USB cable is included in the package.
A voice recorder and a reasonable amount of PIM features consisting of alarms, calendar, memo, tasks, calculator, converter, timer and a stopwatch are all present. There is 40MB of internal memory as well as a microSD card slot, though there is no card in the sales package, so you'll have to factor this into your purchasing decision.
Battery life is below average, rated at up to 140 minutes talk time and up to 175 hours standby time on the Next G network. We found ourselves charging the unit every second night -- sometimes every night with excessive use.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Google Daydream VR headset
Huawei Mate 9
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Lexar® Portable SSD
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Acer Swift 7
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Surface Pro 4
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Xiaomi planning second version of its revolutionary Mi Mix ‘bezel-less’ phone
- Apple smartphones outsold Samsung's in Q4
- Apple joins Wireless Power Consortium, charging up iPhone 8 rumor
- Now you can control your smart devices from your Pixel, no Google Home required
- Everything we think we know about the LG G6
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSenior Web DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior Systems EngineerNSW
- TPInstructional Designer | DETQLD
- FTTechnical Support RepresentativeNSW
- TPProject Technical LeadQLD
- TPBusiness Analyst - PeopleSoft HR/Payroll ProjectVIC
- CCBusiness AnalystSA
- FTData AnalystQLD
- CCBPM DeveloperVIC
- FTDynamics AX Functional ConsultantVIC
- CCBusiness Analyst/ Iteration ManagerVIC
- FT.Net Azure DeveloperSA
- CCWicked Front-End DeveloperNSW
- CCData Engineer (Java/ Data/ Big Data Developer)VIC
- CCPMO ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Java DeveloperNSW
- CCData Analyst - SAS - Immediate Start RequiredNSW
- FTTechnical Consultant MS Dynamics AXVIC
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Manufacturing and Trade & Logistics Modules)WA
- FTERP ConsultantQLD
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- TPSenior Test AnalystQLD
- CCIT Business AnalystNSW
- CCADABAS Natural DeveloperNSW
- FTPMO Coordinator-Permanent Opportunity-Education/Government Background EssentialNSW