Roxio Easy Media Creator 8.0
- Lots of features for the price.
- Clunky interface compared to competitors.
As a one-stop-shop, Easy Media Creator 8.0 could be just what you are looking for. However, you may find yourself outgrowing the program within a few projects.
Price$ 149.00 (AUD)
Roxio Easy Media Creator 8 is a suite of products that not only allows you to create home movies, but burn them to CD or a DVD. The audio and music capabilities of the suite also mean that Media Creator 8 contains one of most versatile collection of programs you can have on your desktop.
Edit video, back up all sorts of data, burn and copy all of your video, photos, music quickly and easily. However, the most important aspect to new releases is support for the latest video file formats that arrive on the scene and Media Creator 8 is up to speed in this regard. DivX import and export and support for double-layer DVDs covers two of the more important developments over the past year, as well as all the usual suspects such as MP3 and OGG for audio and MPEG1 and MPEG2 on the video side. Considering that DivX is effectively a version of MPEG4, no support for the official MPEG4 video standard is somewhat surprising.
As seems to be the way these days, Media Creator 8 presents the user with an opening interface that acts like a hub, directing you to the most appropriate part of the application suite to perform a task. If you want to keep the personal input to a minimum, 'task assistants' breeze through most standard operations such as video movie projects and photo album tasks. All you basically need to do is let the program know where all your assets are and it takes over, operating through a template process. The results are surprisingly good for basic projects, however its not as easy to dip in and out of the process like other programs such as Adobe Premiere Elements 2.0.
Although not specifically a video feature, the DVD Music Disc creator is surprisingly powerful, using your music collection to create a virtual Jukebox from a single DVD, with the ability to create DVD style menus to control from the DVD player. One DVD disc can comfortably hold up to 50 hours of music, turning your DVD player into the audio hub of your home.
Another music feature that owners of music records and tapes will love is the Music ID feature, which acoustically fingerprints unknown music files to automatically fix or add the correct ID3 tag information such as title, artist, and genre. If you don't want all the applications that the suite has to offer, choose the Custom option and select what you need. A second disc is full of multimedia content to use in your movie projects as well as templates.
Media Creator Home is where all the magic happens, with the program prompting you to select from a list of tasks. The interface is simple yet effective, although at times it almost feels like the program is aimed at educating seven year olds rather than experienced PC users. The editing workflow is clear and effective, with finished projects burned to DVD after the final tweaking in MyDVD is completed. All in all, a nice package that performs all the basic tasks as well as most other entry level applications in the market.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
Latest News Articles
- Drupal fixes critical access bypass vulnerability
- Hackers use old Stuxnet-related bug to carry out attacks
- Microsoft will cut services to standalone Office users so they’ll subscribe to Office 365
- Microsoft commits to a permament schedule for new Windows 10, Office updates
- OK Google, let's get personal
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTProject Administrator - Telecommunications InfrastructureNSW
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- TPProject Support AnalystNSW
- FTTechnical Lead - FrontendNSW
- TPSecurity Controls Specialist - ISO 27002VIC
- FTSoftware Engineer - Build/Image MaintenanceACT
- FTProject Manager (Office 365 / Mobility)QLD
- TPSenior Business Project ManagerNSW
- CCArchitect/Senior Capacity Planner Network Engineering - TelcoVIC
- CCSenior Project Manager - Applications - Data ReportingNSW
- FTSenior Systems Engineer x 2NSW
- CCSenior Policy OfficerNSW
- CCJava DeveloperACT
- FTSenior Project Manager - Content MigrationVIC
- CCVMware AdministratorNSW
- FTBusiness Specialist - TelecommunicationsNSW
- FTApplication Services AdministratorNSW
- CCDelivery Project ManagerVIC
- TPSenior Project Manager - Life InsuranceNSW
- FTProject Manager, Asset Vision- SaaS, PaaS- Gov backgroundNSW
- TPProject Manager. Enterprise wide IT ProjectsNSW
- CCSCCM EngineerNSW
- FTProject Engineer - Data & IP NetworksNSW
- FTAgile Scrum Master/TrainerNSW
- CCSenior Network Architect l CCNP/CCIE R&S l Cisco ACINSW