Roxio Creator 2010
Roxio's Creator Suite for optical disc burning lets you produce professional-looking disc menus, labels, and the like without a lot of artistic effort
- Comprehensive abilities, professional templates and content
- Pricey, complex
In a world where many free programs can handle basic burning tasks and even basic audio video chores, you should spend your money carefully on software that makes video editing, disc authoring, and possibly Blu-ray playback easy. Roxio Creator 2010 shines in those areas, but so do a host of less expensive individual competitors.
Price$ 169.00 (AUD)
The latest upgrade to Roxio's comprehensive disc-burning suite introduces some welcome improvements, but Roxio Creator 2010 costs significantly more than competing packages.
Roxio's Creator Suite for optical disc burning lets you produce professional-looking disc menus, labels, and the like without a lot of artistic effort. Like previous iterations, the latest version, Roxio Creator 2010, does more than just burn discs. And Creator 2010 improves on its predecessor's interface and feature set, though the advances may not justify the upgrade cost for current users.
When augmented with the separately sold Blu-ray plug-ins (£14), Roxio Creator 2010 is as comprehensive a burning suite as you can find. It covers all aspects of video/audio capture and editing, disc authoring, and everything else CD\DVD\BD0-related.
The most noticeable change to Roxio Creator 2010 is the launch centre's new look. Its layout closely resembles that of Creator 2009, but a new Learning Center option hosts tutorial videos covering some of the more-complex tasks that Creator handles. The rest of the suite presents much the same appearance and workflow as Creator 2009.
One major convenience of Roxio Creator 2010 is the new smart encoding feature. The software now reencodes only the portions of a video that you've edited and changed. This approach makes encoding much faster and may help preserve image quality.
All versions of Roxio Creator 2010 can save internet audio and video, back up AVCHD video to DVD and Blu-ray, perform BD-RE editing on disc, and support nVidia CUDA and ATI Stream video conversion acceleration. The £69 Creator 2010 Pro includes the Blu-ray authoring plug-ins and adds several bundled applications, including LightZone - a tantalising tool that corrects lighting problems in digital images.
If you have the most recent version of Creator, the £34 upgrade price might be too high. If you're coming from an older version, the new features may be more appealing. And if you want Blu-ray playback, count on paying another £19 for Roxio CinePlayer BD. The suite costs significantly more than the equally powerful Nero 9; and even Cyberlink DVD Suite 7 Ultra with Blu-ray playback is competitive, though the plug-ins included with Roxio Creator 2010 Pro help make it good value.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 3 Tech21 Evo Xplorer iPhone case review
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Latest News Articles
- What Microsoft is taking away from Windows 10 in the Anniversary Update
- PowerDVD 16 gains 360-degree video playback: Here's how it works
- Microsoft will miss its one billion Windows 10 device target
- Google is working to make every website viewable in VR
- Twitter's new stickers are more useful than Snapchat
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCContract Systems Analyst (JAVA/MySQL/PHP) 160819/SA/173Asia
- FTSenior Full Stack .Net Developer - Brand NEW IoT ProjectNSW
- CCAutomation ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Full Stack .Net DeveloperVIC
- CCJava DeveloperACT
- CCFull stack Java Developer- NoSQL database, Amazon AWS productsNSW
- CCSharepoint ArchitectACT
- CCChange LeadsNSW
- FTIT Security & Risk ManagerNSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Datacentre Maintenance) 160817/SA/993Asia
- CCBusiness Intelligence Business AnalystSA
- CCSenior Change Analyst, WealthNSW
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/J2EE) 160901/P/601Asia
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/HTML/PHP) 160819/P/733Asia
- CCSenior Project Specialist - Network IPVIC
- FTBid Manager - Intelligent TechnologyVIC
- CCDesktop Support Level 1 /2VIC
- CCSenior Technical Specialist - Active DirectoryVIC
- CCCA Gen Model Management-Oracle RDBMS, Oracle Solaris, TTNNSW
- CCiOS DeveloperVIC
- CCWebmaster content managementACT
- FTPython Data EngineerWA
- CCProgram Director, Cyber Security TransformationNSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Data Management/Web) 160818/SA/602Asia
- FTTest EngineerNSW