Roth Audio Blob 2
- Excellent subwoofer design and quality, high quality sound in bass and treble
- Mid-tones lost in bass at times, mediocre satellite design, too expensive.
The AudioBlob 2 system are a great set of speakers with only a few minor flaws but are overpriced when compared to similar systems.
Price$ 399.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
- Blemish Buffing Beads 186ml 27.50
The Roth AudioBlob 2 speaker system will appeal to audio buffs who demand incredible feats from their speaker systems and are willing to pay top dollar to achieve that end. This high end 2.1 system delivers excellent audio quality while also incorporating innovative design and style.
The first thing we noticed when setting up the AudioBlob 2 system is the attractive matt finish on the 28 watt sub-woofer. The subwoofer contains all the inputs and outputs on its rear central hub, together with volume controls for all the speakers, much like the Creative Inspire system. The sub-woofer is made of wood, with a black matt finish and rounded edges adding to its overall appeal. The most innovative feature on the subwoofer is undoubtedly the use of inverted cone rubber feet at the base of the unit. Roth have very effectively eliminated the vibration distortion problems that plague many subwoofers, as the tips of the cones are the only element actually touching the surface you have them installed on, While this seems like an extremely simple solution, we find it does make a significant difference to the sound quality.
The 12 watt satellite speakers are not quite as attractive as the subwoofer due to their excessively reflective black plastic finish. The speakers are attached to the sub-woofer via two cables of proper speaker wire, but the clips on the back of the satellites are designed in such a way that its hard to successfully attach the wires without experiencing some degree of frustration.
The AudioBlob 2 system delivers clear bass, even at high volumes, and easily handles the higher treble registers without any loss in clarity. At times during our tests, the mid-tones became lost in the bass despite attempts to compensate via the bass volume control, but this is only a slight blemish on a very impressive system.
Our biggest issue with this system is probably its price. When compared with the Philips Acoustic Fusion 310 or the Philips MMS430, the difference in sound quality is barely noticeable and those systems retail for around half the price.
It does leave you wondering why the AudioBlob would be a consumer's system of choice, but in the end it will come down whether or not a prospective purchaser is attracted to the distinctive design and styling of the AudioBlob 2.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Apple recalls AC wall plug adapters
- CES 2016: Top 10 trends
- Intel's Skylake vPro chips will support Windows 7 after all
- Kogan forced to pay $32,400 penalty by ACCC
- Android Auto coming to 40 car models this year
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTDigital Marketing Specialist | Media BuyerNSW
- CCService ModellerNSW
- FTTechnical Consultant - ApplicationsSA
- CCIBM InfoSphere ConsultantACT
- CCJava DeveloperVIC
- CCTechnical Project Manager, MigrationNSW
- CCPega BPM Developer / Configurer - 12 months contractACT
- FTJunior Project Manager | Permanent role in Canberra | NV1/2 clearedACT
- FTLevel 2 IT Support TechnicianVIC
- CCLync/Skype EngineerNSW
- FTSoftware Developer - Ruby on RailsNSW
- CCJava Development Contract - MelbourneVIC
- CCCisco Program Manager - Data Centre/Security ImplementationNSW
- CCProject CoordinatorNSW
- CCSenior Identity ManagerVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/Oracle/UNIX) 160203/AP/381Asia
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160205/AP/541Asia
- FTBusiness Analyst - Superannuation FundVIC
- FTLead Software Developer- Complex Tax & Superannuation SolutionsNSW
- CCBusiness AnalystACT
- CCSolution Architect - .NET TechnologiesNSW
- CCSecurity Consultant/Analyst (Data Loss Prevention)WA
- FTNetwork Engineer | NV2 clearance | Defence projects | Immediate interviewACT
- CCMVC .Net Developer- Hurstville NSW 2220NSW
- FTInternal Audit ConsultantACT