Ricoh Aficio SP 4210N monochrome laser printer
This classic workhorse printer is built for speed more than for quality; the cheap toner is a big plus
- Very fast graphics speed, low-cost toner
- High upfront cost, graphics output is often grainy
The Ricoh Aficio SP 4210N may lack the pricing or panache to rank higher on our chart, but it deserves consideration. It's built for high-volume use and backs that up with supercheap toner. For some busy offices, that combination could be enough.
Price$ 1,559.00 (AUD)
Ricoh's Aficio SP 4210N monochrome laser printer is a decent performer with a somewhat high price ($1559). The Xerox Phaser 3600/N, which carries the same sticker price, is better designed and easier to use, but the Aficio laser's extra-cheap toner could make it a better buy for high-volume offices.
The Aficio SP 4210N ships with a 6000-page starter cartridge. A 15,000-page replacement cartridge costs $339, or 2.3 cents per page — far less than the consumables costs of the competing HP LaserJet P2055x.
Performance is solid overall. Ricoh promises a top speed of 37 pages per minute (ppm). In our tests, it managed 32.3ppm (an average speed) printing plain text, while its graphics speed was a zippy 9.2ppm. The Aficio SP 4210N's text quality was very nice, but graphics quality suffered from graininess or roughness — typical for a monochrome laser, unfortunately.
The standard configuration includes a 500-sheet input tray and a 100-sheet multipurpose tray, plus a 250-sheet output tray. All three are sturdy and easy to use, with helpful, coloured decals for guidance. Little dials on each input tray indicate the paper size within, but you must adjust these dials manually. You may add one or two more 500-sheet input trays, an envelope feeder to attach to one of those trays, or a duplexing unit. Complementing the USB and Ethernet connections is an extra USB port (Type A) in back for plugging in third-party applications.
Ease of use isn't great. Duplexing and colour-management features are active in the driver even if you haven't installed the optional duplexer and even though the SP 4210N is a monochrome printer. The control panel's visual monotony — all six buttons are the same size and colour, and the up/down navigation arrows are just a different shape--makes knowing where to look and recognising what's important unduly difficult; also, some of the button labels — such as 'Suspend' and 'Escape' — use potentially confusing technical jargon.
The Ricoh Aficio SP 4210N deserves consideration. It's built for high-volume use and backs that up with supercheap toner. For some busy offices, that combination could be enough.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Huawei Mate 9
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Google Daydream VR headset
Acer Swift 7
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Lexar® Portable SSD
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Surface Pro 4
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Hacker hijacks thousands of publicly exposed printers to warn owners
- Why won’t my printer connect to my wireless router?
- How 4D printing is now saving lives
- 3D printing industry to triple in four years to $21B
- Disney files patent for near instantaneous 3D printing
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSenior Systems AdministratorWA
- CCPMO Analyst - Financial ServicesNSW
- CCSenior Technical Business Analyst - ITMSP - Melbourne CBDVIC
- FTWeb Developer / Applications AnalystQLD
- CCBusiness Analyst - AgileQLD
- FTSenior Project Manager - PERMANENTACT
- FTSenior Java EngineerACT
- FTIt Security and process analystNSW
- CCSenior Storage System Engineer - NetApp SpecialistNSW
- CCData Engineer (Java/ Data/ Big Data Developer)VIC
- FTFront End DeveloperQLD
- CCCommercial Contract AdministratorNSW
- FTSenior Business AnalystSA
- FTL1 Application SupportWA
- CCSystem EngineerSA
- CCSenior .NET DeveloperNSW
- TPNodeJS DeveloperNSW
- FTSAP BOBJ ConsultantACT
- CCGun Java Developer wanted...VIC
- TPe-Learning Developer (Captivate 8)VIC
- CCSenior Project Manager - ApplicationsNSW
- CCIT Support TechnicianNSW
- TPMicrosoft Analyst ProgrammerSA
- CCTransport Planner - GIS SpecialistNSW
- CCProject Support OfficerNSW