Ricoh Aficio SP 4210N monochrome laser printer
This classic workhorse printer is built for speed more than for quality; the cheap toner is a big plus
- Very fast graphics speed, low-cost toner
- High upfront cost, graphics output is often grainy
The Ricoh Aficio SP 4210N may lack the pricing or panache to rank higher on our chart, but it deserves consideration. It's built for high-volume use and backs that up with supercheap toner. For some busy offices, that combination could be enough.
Price$ 1,559.00 (AUD)
Ricoh's Aficio SP 4210N monochrome laser printer is a decent performer with a somewhat high price ($1559). The Xerox Phaser 3600/N, which carries the same sticker price, is better designed and easier to use, but the Aficio laser's extra-cheap toner could make it a better buy for high-volume offices.
The Aficio SP 4210N ships with a 6000-page starter cartridge. A 15,000-page replacement cartridge costs $339, or 2.3 cents per page — far less than the consumables costs of the competing HP LaserJet P2055x.
Performance is solid overall. Ricoh promises a top speed of 37 pages per minute (ppm). In our tests, it managed 32.3ppm (an average speed) printing plain text, while its graphics speed was a zippy 9.2ppm. The Aficio SP 4210N's text quality was very nice, but graphics quality suffered from graininess or roughness — typical for a monochrome laser, unfortunately.
The standard configuration includes a 500-sheet input tray and a 100-sheet multipurpose tray, plus a 250-sheet output tray. All three are sturdy and easy to use, with helpful, coloured decals for guidance. Little dials on each input tray indicate the paper size within, but you must adjust these dials manually. You may add one or two more 500-sheet input trays, an envelope feeder to attach to one of those trays, or a duplexing unit. Complementing the USB and Ethernet connections is an extra USB port (Type A) in back for plugging in third-party applications.
Ease of use isn't great. Duplexing and colour-management features are active in the driver even if you haven't installed the optional duplexer and even though the SP 4210N is a monochrome printer. The control panel's visual monotony — all six buttons are the same size and colour, and the up/down navigation arrows are just a different shape--makes knowing where to look and recognising what's important unduly difficult; also, some of the button labels — such as 'Suspend' and 'Escape' — use potentially confusing technical jargon.
The Ricoh Aficio SP 4210N deserves consideration. It's built for high-volume use and backs that up with supercheap toner. For some busy offices, that combination could be enough.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Evapolar USB air conditioner review
- 2 LED Lenser P7R Professional Torch review
- 3 Aftershokz Wireless Trekz Titanium Bone Conduction Bluetooth Headphones review
- 4 Review: Periscope users rejoice with Feiyu’s G4 Plus 3-Axis Gimbal for Smartphone video
- 5 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
Latest News Articles
- How 4D printing is now saving lives
- 3D printing industry to triple in four years to $21B
- Disney files patent for near instantaneous 3D printing
- Never run out of printer ink with HP Instant Ink
- HP to launch 3D printers this year
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCData Analyst | Data Feeds | Catalogue and MapNSW
- CCE-Commerce - Senior Web DeveloperNSW
- CCBusiness AnalystQLD
- CCInformatica Developer (MDM)NSW
- FTMDM EngineerNSW
- CCNetwork and Security EngineerNSW
- CCSenior Project ManagerACT
- FTBackup ConsultantWA
- FTTechnical Business Analyst | Marketing ServicesNSW
- FTLinux Systems AdministratorNZ
- CCWAN Architect and ConsultantWA
- FTSenior PHP DeveloperNSW
- CCVideo Conference Support Officer- VoIP, LAN, WAN, RemedyNSW
- FTTest Manager (HP Quality Centre / ARIBA)NSW
- CCSecurity Cleared IT Professionals - Expression of InterestSA
- CCICT Security AuditorACT
- CCTest Manager (HP Quality Centre / Kronos)NSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - Telecom ProjectNSW
- CCContract Junior Programmer (J2EE/SQL) 160927/JP/551Asia
- FTNetwork and Security Design EngineerNSW
- CCProgram Manager - Data InsightVIC
- CCInfrastructure Project Manager - DCR ProjectNSW
- CCLAN ConsultantWA
- CCSenior Business Analyst -Change and SAP ProcurementNSW
- CCData Analyst | Data Management Framework | Experience in RNSW