Revo Blok iPod dock
This stylish iPod dock has good sound quality and a great design
- Great design and build quality, good sound quality, great remote control
- Not officially compatible with iPhone
The Revo Blok is a stylish iPod dock with a great design and good speakers. If you're looking for an attractive iPod speaker for your bedroom or living room, the Revo Blok is hard to pass up.
Price$ 399.00 (AUD)
Buy now (Selling at 4 stores)
The Revo Blok iPod dock has full-range stereo speakers that output a smooth and pleasant sound which isn't especially clear in treble but has detailed and rich mid-range and bass. The model we tested had a beautiful woodgrain finish and exacting build quality.
We think it's been a great year for product designs — we've seen award-winning devices like the Creative Aurvana Air, as well as well-designed local products like the OXX Digital Classic DAB+ digital radio. The Revo Blok is another great example of modern design: its woodgrain finish is smooth to the touch yet full of detail. Dark silver plastic accents break up the design, with the exposed 4.5in speaker drivers finished in charcoal grey. With the iPod dock, volume dial and power button mounted on the top of the unit the Revo Blok is easy to operate; just plug your iPod in, hit the power button and music starts playing. All features can be accessed through the brilliant rotary volume control.
There's really not much to talk about apart from the Revo Blok's sound quality — it's a very simple unit. It doesn't officially support the iPhone, but our test unit charged fine and we didn't have any problems playing audio. Every model of dock-connecting iPod is supported.
We tested the system by playing a few Apple Lossless audio files through an iPhone, as well as some FLAC and MP3 audio from a Dell Inspiron Mini 9 netbook through the Blok's auxiliary 3.5mm connector. What quickly became apparent is the Revo Blok's ability to emit room-filling sound with a pleasant timbre. The 4.5in drivers do not extend particularly high into treble frequencies and the result is a system that can sound 'capped', with higher frequencies occasionally distant and muted. This is tempered by the Blok's mid-range performance, however. There was a great amount of detail in the male vocals and acoustic guitar we listened to.
The rear-firing bass port works best when the iPod dock is placed within a foot of a wall, and if you've got it set up in the right location the end result is impressive. The bass that the Revo Blok produces doesn't extend very deep, but it is pronounced without becoming boomy or expansive. It adds a definite extra element compared to similar sized iPod docks such as the Kogan Digital Radio, which sometimes sound tinny.
Stay up to date with the latest reviews. Sign up to GoodGearGuide’s Gear Daily newsletters
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @Goodgearguide
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z3 review: The no-frills flagship
- 2 Samsung's Galaxy Alpha review: A peek into the Galaxy S6
- 3 Samsung Galaxy Note 4 review: The busiest, biggest and best Samsung phablet
- 4 Aldi's $279 Bauhn Sphere review: Disappointing
- 5 Nokia Lumia 735 review: Perfectly ordinary
Best Deals on GoodGearGuide
Latest News Articles
- Startup SQLdep aims to help DBAs stay sane
- BlackBerry's deal to buy voice crypto company Secusmart blessed by German government
- France, Germany want EU to take a tougher stance on tech firms
- Divoom Voombox-Travel rugged Bluetooth speaker
- Distracted? Slap this Hitachi gizmo on your forehead to focus
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTAccount ExecutiveNSW
- FTSEO Content ExecutiveVIC
- CCTech Support | IT Services Firm - Ad hoc Projects - Echuca AreaVIC
- FTDigital Marketing Manager | Online Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTStudio Design ManagerVIC
- CCTech Support | IT Services Firm - Ad hoc Projects - Port Augusta / Whyalla AreaSA
- FTClient Services Manager | Digital Client Services ManagerNSW
- FTDigital Account ManagerNSW
- FTProgram Manager - Integration & SolutionsNSW
- FTPartnership Manager - MediaNSW