Research In Motion BlackBerry 8700G
- Strong e-mail and browser features, helpful memo lists and the
- speakerphone function
- None to speak of
This is a solid business communications tool with a lot of key features.
Price$ 999.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 12 stores)
It's hard to imagine life before the BlackBerry. Well, maybe that's exaggerating. But it's certainly true we depend on pocket-sized devices that fulfil the vast bulk of our communication and contacts needs.
BlackBerry developer RIM (Research In Motion) has licensed its "push e-mail" client on a range of devices, giving models such as PalmOne's Treo 650 a run for their money.
The 8700g, RIM's latest BlackBerry, is marginally less broad than its predecessor, but features the same slick click-wheel beloved of gadget fans. This time you get to enjoy a 64K colour screen with a 320x240 resolution, a faster processor, supplied by Intel and support for EDGE (Enhanced Data-rate for GSM Evolution).
We were impressed by the Insight Icon option, which was cleaner and more compact than the default.
Wireless can be turned off to preserve the battery life, but you'll need the radio function to be active if you want to communicate via GPRS, the technology that enables you to send and receive e-mails while on the move. The BlackBerry's batteries have some serious staying power: it was ready for action even after it'd been on standby for over a week.
For those who don't require the Enterprise e-mail setup, there's an option to redirect email to the device. Be aware, though, that messages deleted from this setup are not retrievable. Internet access, full phone functions, searchable contacts, memos, task lists and Bluetooth are all included.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Motorola Moto X (2nd Gen) review: Raising the bar
- 2 Xiaomi Mi4 review: Xiaomi's best yet
- 3 Samsung Galaxy Note Edge review: Lightly flawed, Undeniably special
- 4 Sony Xperia Z3 review: The no-frills flagship
- 5 Samsung's Galaxy Alpha review: A peek into the Galaxy S6
Best Deals on GoodGearGuide
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft results buoyed by cloud products, but profit drops
- Get ready for the 24-hour laptop: Battery life hits new highs
- Facebook testing spartan Android 'Lite' service
- States threaten lawsuit against Obama's municipal broadband plan
- Simple Google search outed alleged Silk Road founder
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.