Red Giant Software Magic Bullet Steady
Get rid of the shakes.
- Faster and better than AE
The plug-in’s main weakness is that it doesn’t allow you to manually modify stabilisation. Also while it’s faster and better than AE’s stabilisation tool, it might not be good enough to justify the cost — but it’s a useful addition to the Magic Bullet Suite nonetheless.
Price$ 199.00 (AUD)
Note: pricing for this product is in US$.
Shaky footage may be associated with amateur video, but it’s something professionals have to deal with on a regular basis. Whether it’s user-generated footage, something captured on the sly, a quick and dirty shoot or just a momentary case of shaky hands, it’s one of those things that seems minor enough to fix ‘in post’ — but can take a long time to get right.
Magic Bullet Steady attempts to help with this. It ships with a noise-reducer plug-in for dealing with the image noise problems that often accompany low-quality footage.
When you first apply the plug-in, a red hexagon appears on your footage with an exclamation mark to show that it hasn’t been analysed or corrected. Before you press the ‘Analyze’ button, you select either the Automatic Motion Detect mode or Manual, to select a region of the video. This allows you to select an area without moving elements in it — and this can be keyframed over time.
Analysing is remarkably quick. The plug-in worked through SD footage in almost twice real-time, and HD in footage in half real-time.
To see just how effective it was, we tested it on footage captured surreptitiously on a cheap Flip Video camcorder at the IFA trade show in Berlin, which combined low resolution (640x480 pixels), high compression, shaky camera-work, inconsistent lighting and people walking in front of the camera. The plug-in dealt remarkably well with the footage and the end result was a massive improvement.
You can modify the stabilisation using a well thought-out set of controls. There’s a ‘Use Scene Change Detection’ toggle that spots cuts and analyses shots individually. There’s a range of settings: Fast Shake, Wobble, Weave and All Motion (to give to look of a camera on a tripod).
Stabilisation leaves black borders, as the footage is moved horizontally and vertically. Magic Bullet can automatically zoom in to eliminate this, though it’s better done in the Instant HD plug-in if you own the full Magic Bullet Suite.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 2 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 3 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 4 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft dials back Windows 10 upgrades to 2X a year
- First look: Nuheara IQbuds smart Bluetooth ear buds do more than just music
- Use Feedback Hub to complain to Microsoft about Windows 10
- Netflix's Fast.com download tester takes its war against slow ISPs directly to the user
- New Windows 10 Mobile preview adds handy web features, but kills Wi-Fi Sense
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCFront end and Full Stack DevelopersNSW
- FTTechnical WriterACT
- CCContract Programmer (MS SQL Server/SQL/Web) 160518/P/626Asia
- CCHR Systems Support OfficerACT
- CCProject Manager / Delivery Manager - TelcoNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst or Information AnalystNSW
- FTBI / Business Intelligence Designer / ArchitectNSW
- CCMultiple Oracle Fusion SOA/BPEL Developer OpportunitiesVIC
- FTPermanent Defence network engineer - career progression & flexible conditionsACT
- CCSolutions Architect - Enterprise ApplicationsNSW
- CCBig Data DeveloperWA
- FTTechnical Team Lead - .Net / SharePointACT
- CCPHP / Magento E-Commerce DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Developer (Full stack)SA
- CCSenior Systems AnalystSA
- FTFront End DeveloperACT
- CCSenior Automation & Performance EngineerVIC
- CCTechnology Lead / Senior Developer - Java (Urgent)NSW
- FTTechnical/Solutions ArchitectNSW
- CCInfrastructure Deployment ManagerVIC
- CCTechnical PM - Magento E-Commerce SolutionNSW
- CCiOS Developer x 2NSW
- CCOracle DBA | 3-6mth ContractVIC
- CCMobility SpcialistACT
- FTStibo PIM Consultant - Permanent OpportunityNSW