Red Giant Software Magic Bullet Steady
Get rid of the shakes.
- Faster and better than AE
The plug-in’s main weakness is that it doesn’t allow you to manually modify stabilisation. Also while it’s faster and better than AE’s stabilisation tool, it might not be good enough to justify the cost — but it’s a useful addition to the Magic Bullet Suite nonetheless.
Price$ 199.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
Note: pricing for this product is in US$.
Shaky footage may be associated with amateur video, but it’s something professionals have to deal with on a regular basis. Whether it’s user-generated footage, something captured on the sly, a quick and dirty shoot or just a momentary case of shaky hands, it’s one of those things that seems minor enough to fix ‘in post’ — but can take a long time to get right.
Magic Bullet Steady attempts to help with this. It ships with a noise-reducer plug-in for dealing with the image noise problems that often accompany low-quality footage.
When you first apply the plug-in, a red hexagon appears on your footage with an exclamation mark to show that it hasn’t been analysed or corrected. Before you press the ‘Analyze’ button, you select either the Automatic Motion Detect mode or Manual, to select a region of the video. This allows you to select an area without moving elements in it — and this can be keyframed over time.
Analysing is remarkably quick. The plug-in worked through SD footage in almost twice real-time, and HD in footage in half real-time.
To see just how effective it was, we tested it on footage captured surreptitiously on a cheap Flip Video camcorder at the IFA trade show in Berlin, which combined low resolution (640x480 pixels), high compression, shaky camera-work, inconsistent lighting and people walking in front of the camera. The plug-in dealt remarkably well with the footage and the end result was a massive improvement.
You can modify the stabilisation using a well thought-out set of controls. There’s a ‘Use Scene Change Detection’ toggle that spots cuts and analyses shots individually. There’s a range of settings: Fast Shake, Wobble, Weave and All Motion (to give to look of a camera on a tripod).
Stabilisation leaves black borders, as the footage is moved horizontally and vertically. Magic Bullet can automatically zoom in to eliminate this, though it’s better done in the Instant HD plug-in if you own the full Magic Bullet Suite.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Ford Focus ST (2015) review: Absolutely mental styling, engine, handling
- 2 LG 65-inch UHD TV (65UF950T) review
- 3 Playing chicken with a Tesla Model S
- 4 Audi TT (2015) review: A smarter take on the sports coupe
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Deals on Good Gear Guide
- Networking, Wireless & VoIP
Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Quickflix halts trading ahead of acquisition
- Facebook aims to launch unmanned drone by year-end
- Windows 10 launches with its fair share of bugs
- These graphics cards and processors support Windows 10's DirectX 12 graphics tech
- Windows 10 is a free upgrade for Windows 7 and Windows 8 users
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTBusiness Development Manager & Account ManagerVIC
- CCLead Generator - Software SolutionsNSW
- CCAccount Strategist | Sales Executive | Global Search EngineNSW
- FTDevOps Consultant - Microsoft Experience - Digital ConsultancyVIC
- FTTechnical Sales Support Representative - The Worlds largest Search Engine!NSW
- CCMarketing Coordinator - World's largest search engine!NSW
- FTField EngineerNSW
- FTDesktop Engineering ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Network EngineerNSW