Reallusion iClone Studio 2.0
- Exports to a wide variety of file formats, iClone now offers special effects
- Lacks a multiple undo feature, relies on your graphics card to get a good result
Unlike alternatives such as Poser, iClone lacks a multiple undo feature, and you don't get the same control over elements. But iClone packs remarkable power and usability for its price.
Price$ 199.95 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 4 stores)
Who said 3D animation had to be difficult? Reallusion's iClone is a low-cost animation tool that lets animators on a budget easily produce realistic 3D movies. iClone comes in Standard and Studio versions -- the latter offering extra features including timeline animation. It's also remarkably simple to use.
A navigation pane at the top of the window divides the program into eight interface modes, such as head, background scene and export options. The Preview window shows the current camera view, which can be quickly adjusted using the Camera Control bar above it. On the right, a Manager provides quick access to models, animation, and other associated content.
iClone lets you create single or multiple character environments, or build backgrounds without characters. This version adds two, far more convincing, detailed 'G2' character actors, based on nine new body types.
While there's little direct control over facial animation, you can use CrazyTalk 4.5 and apply its effects at the touch of a button.
It's worth thinking about buying both programs as a bundle.
iClone now offers special effects. These are particle based (fire and smoke) and fog effects. The fog effects add realism to outside scenes, but you'll need a decent graphics card (get the latest graphics card reviews here).
Studio boasts a timeline, so you can independently animate cameras. The Motion Editor synchronises a model's motion to music.
The quality of rendered iClone projects depends on your video card, but these can then be exported in a wide variety of file formats.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Mozilla Firefox update fixes several vulnerabilities
- Windows Phone can now work on smartphones with Intel x86 chips
- iOS 9.2.1 and OS X 10.11.3 are now available
- New field test lets you install Android apps directly from Google search
- Survey says: Almost a third of US consumers on Windows 10
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCSAP Basis Admin with JavaACT
- CCContract Junior Programmer (JAVA/Mobile App) 160115/JP/vhaAsia
- CCIBM ESB Developer (Junior to mid level role)NSW
- CCImmediate iOS Developer RequiredNSW
- FTSenior Front End Developer Required Working World Leading Digital TeamVIC
- CCProgram Support ManagerQLD
- CCSenior Project Manager - HRIS ProjectQLD
- FTProject ManagerVIC
- FTFraud AnalystVIC
- CCSenior Business AnalystQLD
- CCInformation Security ManagerNSW
- CCBusiness Project Manager - Transformation ProgramNSW
- CCJava/J2EE ConsultantVIC
- CCBusiness AnalystACT
- CCLabour Stream LeadVIC
- CCTechnical Tester - AutomationVIC
- FTProgram Test DirectorNSW
- CCIT Hadoop DevelopersQLD
- CCChange LeadNSW
- CCProgram Manager - Big Data - Telecommunications - UrgentNSW
- CCUser Experience Designer - BaselineACT
- CCContract System Analyst (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160205/SA/881Asia
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (Crystal Reports) 160129/AP/vhs-aAsia
- FTUX Front-End DeveloperWA
- CCTechnical Lead - .NET TechnologiesACT