First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
Razer Ferox portable speakers
Razer Ferox review: A portable speaker set aimed at portable gaming systems like the DS and the PSP
- Compact, rechargeable power source, decent sound for the size
- Bass response is weak, really only appropriate for portable applications, proprietary cord
One of the largest 3rd-party peripheral manufacturers in the game, Razer has built a reputation for stylish products that improve both our performance in games and the overall experience outside of them. Razer's Ferox is a compact speaker system that you can take with you wherever you go.
Price$ 99.95 (AUD)
Buy now (Selling at 5 stores)
Razer's Ferox is a portable speaker set aimed at portable gaming systems like the DS and the PSP; it'll work with just about any device with a headphone jack though, like MP3 and portable DVD players.
I was initially sceptical about the Ferox, but after testing it out, I think it's a pretty awesome product. I was shocked by the quality of the sound: it's fairly "big" considering the size of the speakers. I was really disappointed by the weak low end (you could probably squeeze some more performance if you have an MP3 player with a built-in EQ) but I could easily see myself using this at the beach or a backyard BBQ as a quick and dirty speaker set up. I loved the fact that it's rechargeable, and that there's only one braided cord to mess with.
The only thing that makes me hesitate in giving it a full on recommendation is the fact that for a few bucks more, you can buy a portable speaker set with a bit more sonic "oomph." But those units usually stretch the definition of the word "portable", so if care about portability, Ferox is a pretty compelling choice. If Razer can somehow improve the bass response (I'd gladly accept a bigger footprint for a bit more thump), then they'd have an undeniable winner. In its current form, I'd recommend you look into it, but do some research before you fully commit.
Latest News Articles
- Vodafone tackles FIFA World Cup with $5 roaming in Brazil
- Teen arrested in Heartbleed attack against Canadian tax site
- What is UHD (4K) TV?
- Panasonic Lumix GH4: a hybrid camera with 4K video features
- A look at the world's most powerful X-ray laser
Most Popular Articles
- 1 Tethering tutorial: How to use your iPhone as a modem
- 2 Buying guide: Ovens, cooktops and freestanding cookers (upright ranges)
- 3 The most disturbing YouTube videos of all time
- 4 Capacitive vs resistive touchscreens
- 5 Aldi's new budget Android smartphone isn't very good value
GGG Evaluation Team
Best Deals on GoodGearGuide
- Home Entertainment View all »
- $199.95 free shipping
- $416 free shipping
- $199.95 free shipping
- TVs View all »
- Projectors View all »
- Monitors View all »
- Digital Video View all »