Razer Ferox portable speakers
Razer Ferox review: A portable speaker set aimed at portable gaming systems like the DS and the PSP
- Compact, rechargeable power source, decent sound for the size
- Bass response is weak, really only appropriate for portable applications, proprietary cord
One of the largest 3rd-party peripheral manufacturers in the game, Razer has built a reputation for stylish products that improve both our performance in games and the overall experience outside of them. Razer's Ferox is a compact speaker system that you can take with you wherever you go.
Price$ 99.95 (AUD)
Razer's Ferox is a portable speaker set aimed at portable gaming systems like the DS and the PSP; it'll work with just about any device with a headphone jack though, like MP3 and portable DVD players.
I was initially sceptical about the Ferox, but after testing it out, I think it's a pretty awesome product. I was shocked by the quality of the sound: it's fairly "big" considering the size of the speakers. I was really disappointed by the weak low end (you could probably squeeze some more performance if you have an MP3 player with a built-in EQ) but I could easily see myself using this at the beach or a backyard BBQ as a quick and dirty speaker set up. I loved the fact that it's rechargeable, and that there's only one braided cord to mess with.
The only thing that makes me hesitate in giving it a full on recommendation is the fact that for a few bucks more, you can buy a portable speaker set with a bit more sonic "oomph." But those units usually stretch the definition of the word "portable", so if care about portability, Ferox is a pretty compelling choice. If Razer can somehow improve the bass response (I'd gladly accept a bigger footprint for a bit more thump), then they'd have an undeniable winner. In its current form, I'd recommend you look into it, but do some research before you fully commit.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Google Daydream VR headset
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Huawei Mate 9
Lexar® Portable SSD
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Acer Swift 7
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Surface Pro 4
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 2 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
- 3 Panasonic Blu-ray recorder PVR set-top box review
- 4 Garmin Fenix Chronos fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 5 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
Latest News Articles
- Plex Cloud is now open to all paid users
- Google eyes remote content controls for parents in YouTube Kids app
- Up next for Apple TV: 4K streaming reportedly in the works
- Apple’s original TV shows are almost ready for prime time
- Apple snags Amazon Fire TV exec to lead Apple TV efforts
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- LG G6: unboxing, hands on review and detail shots
- Samsung Galaxy A5 2017: unboxing, hands on review and detail shots
- Behind the scenes with Team Walkinshaw at V8 Supercars Melbourne 2017
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media ExecutiveNSW
- TPSenior Node.JS DeveloperNSW
- TPBusiness Analyst - Infrastructure ProjectQLD
- CCData AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Infrastructure Business AnalystVIC
- CCPega DeveloperNSW
- FTC# / ASP.NET DeveloperSA
- CCSalesforce Functional AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Java Developers (Several positions available)QLD
- FTGraduate Software EngineerNSW
- FTSCCM AdministratorACT
- FTJunior-Mid Level Implementation CoordinatorQLD
- CCAutomation Developer - LinuxNSW
- TPBusiness AnalystQLD
- CCDigital Business ArchitectACT
- CCBusiness Analyst - General InsuranceNSW
- CCITCM EngineerNSW
- FTPMO CoordinatorNSW
- FTNetwork EngineerACT
- FTTest AdvertSA
- TPProgram ArchitectQLD
- FTJunior-Mid Level Implementation CoordinatorQLD
- FTInfrastructure Analyst - Storage & Backup SystemsNSW
- FTImplementation LeadVIC
- FTAssociate Consultant - IT Project ServicesVIC